Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2014, 07:29 AM   #29

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
There is a newcomer on the market I am testing Smart Hose from Tethford I think. I have been using one since Nov or Dec..

On this unit the hose has cam lock fittings on the end and the adapters that connect to the RV and to the hole in the ground have matching latches.. The first time putting it together I was wondering if I was strong enough to get 'em locked on (I was but it was not easy).

Since then it's been easier.. But I really like the hose so far.. Nice heavy feel to it, Springs back if I accidently crush it (only crushed half way so far) works well on most holes (All the ones I've tried it on) Looks like it may outlast the last (Rino) hose I used.
I had the Thetford Smart Hose and had nothing but trouble, leaks, etc. I also had it on the end of the RV Hydroflush and I believe that contributed to the issues I was having with leaking, etc. It drove me CRAZY that it wouldn't collapse and stay collapsed too.

It sits in the storage shed. I'll gladly donate it to whoever wants it. I know it was just my application and that it is a great product for others, just didn't work for me.

I put this new system in place and LOVE it!

DuraForm Premium Sewer Hose - 5 ft. - Prest-O-Fit 1-0068 - Sewer Hoses - Camping World

The Duraform can be shaped any way you need, easy hookup, great system, and collapses back so easily. I am so happy with this system, I highly recommend it. No more 'slinky' for me!

Since my coach does not have a flushing mechanism, I tried the hydroflush, wouldn't work either, my exit plumbing is not a straight shot back into the tanks. So I bought the Flush King and it forces water back up into the tanks for a flush. Excellent product. Valterra was very helpful and refunded me the money for the hydroflushes (both of them I tried)

Flush King - Valterra FK-01 - Sewer Flushing - Camping World

Hope this helps!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2014, 12:10 PM   #30

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Once I got the ends on mine has been grest, save gor that it does not collapse like the. RINOFLEX. But I pit in extra storage. .
Old 04-18-2014, 12:35 PM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We got back from the south a couple weeks ago and during our trip we ran into folks who swore by this system, so we purchased one. Haven't used it yet but it looks like a pretty good solution.

Sewer Solution - Valterra SS01 - Drain & Flush Systems - Camping World
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 01:22 PM   #32

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I guess that I am starting to develop a sewer line addiction. We first had whatever was on the motorhome, but a few too many connections. We then bought a Sani Con and fought with that for about 3 months. There is a clear segment that shows what is going through the line. Each time the rv toilet paper would go through the macerator would slow down and then pick up in speed. Therefore, I started the blank tank wash early to ensure lots of liquids and height.of fluid for more hydrostatic pressure. All well and good until the Sani Con became totally clogged and would not pass any fluid. What a mess. I dismantled the Sani Con and hooked up a Rhino Flex. This has been working great while at Lakeview RV Resort just south of Houston. Well, if it isn't broke don't fix it. However, I could not resist the Thetford SmartDrain system. I am using that now. The other hose is on standby, but i liked the connections to the motorhome and the sewer drain. It seems to be a bit more secure, but a few posts above was not very positive on the product. I will put some silicon on the rubber gaskets and review all the connections each time we use it. I did notice these flapping clamps can get askew and that could cause a leak. Will check it out and test for a while.
Philliec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 04:11 PM   #33

Thumbs up Valterra SS01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
We got back from the south a couple weeks ago and during our trip we ran into folks who swore by this system, so we purchased one. Haven't used it yet but it looks like a pretty good solution.

Just ordered one myself. Exact one cheaper on Amazon Prime. Neighbor has used one for years and loves it. No more stinky slinky! Well let you know how it goes.
GoodbyeCalif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 08:56 AM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post

X10! I have had my Sewer Solutions system for over a year and wouldn't part with it for any price. You will not believe how well it cleans your tank, especially after you "back-flush". In combination with a tank-flush you will get your tank super clean. Does it take longer than a normal dumping...yes. Does it use more water during the process...yes. Does it do a better job than any other system I am aware of...absolutely!
Jim28730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 09:42 AM   #35

It's nothing more than a packaged macerator pump. One is still messing with poo but for a lot more money and a need for an electrical hookup to dump.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 02:38 PM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We just don't use the RV enough to justify buying a macerator for the main black tank. Even though I have gotten reasonably good service from the Easy Coupler hoses, I keep three 10 foot hoses on hand and generally replace one per year, I started switching over to the Dominator brand a couple of years ago as they seem to be of a heavier material and collapse down better and store in a smaller amount of space. .
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 01:51 PM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: KM Parks in Western Washington and Yuma,Az for the Winter
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
It's nothing more than a packaged macerator pump. One is still messing with poo but for a lot more money and a need for an electrical hookup to dump.

The Sewer Solution is NOT a electrically powered macerator. Check out their website.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:53 PM   #38

Backflow???

I am concerned when any devices for the sewage water is hooked up to a fresh water line creating the potential of a cross flow connection resulting in the backflow of raw sewage into the fresh water system. 99.9999% of the time there is positive pressure from the fresh water system not allowing the sewage to back flow into the fresh water line. However, what are the chances of backflow of raw sewage into the fresh water system? Would a backflow preventer on the fresh water hose absolutely prevent this?

According to Wikipedia, "In water supply systems, water is normally maintained at a significant pressure to enable water to flow from the tap, shower etc. When pressure fails or is reduced, as may happen if a water main bursts, pipes freeze or there is unexpectedly high demand on the water system, then such reduced pressure in the pipe may allow contaminated water from the ground, from storage or from other sources to be drawn up into the system."

Can this happen at our RV park? To me, simplicity is the best design. After a learning curve, I like the Sani Con now when traveling or the stinky slinky if parked for a while (as someone previously mentioned).
Old 09-13-2014, 06:28 AM   #39

You are correct. I thought I saw a 12V requirement.

That said it looks even worse. Basically a water jet pump that works slower than the 3 inch hose, needs a water connection and I still have to store a long contaminated hose and a pump to go with it. Still handling a poo. I think I will stick with my 3 inch stored in it's own bumper mounted plastic tube. Rinses as clean as the $100 option.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 07:39 AM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliec View Post
I am concerned when any devices for the sewage water is hooked up to a fresh water line creating the potential of a cross flow connection resulting in the backflow of raw sewage into the fresh water system. 99.9999% of the time there is positive pressure from the fresh water system not allowing the sewage to back flow into the fresh water line. However, what are the chances of backflow of raw sewage into the fresh water system? Would a backflow preventer on the fresh water hose absolutely prevent this?
You've made good points on possible cross flow and my response to your question, No. Back flow valves can and do fail. I've replaced and installed a few over the years on the sprinkler systems at the S&Bs. The pumping system are nice, but, I'm old school so if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I still use the dump hose system on a slinky. I do carry a second, light brown colored Camco water hose for the black tank spray jet cleaning system and store it in a separate container from the white fresh water hose. In addition to the shut off valve on the splitter, to help maintain pressure on the line, I use a shut off valve on the discharge end of the hose and at the tank fitting. When completed, I shut the valve at the tank and hose end, disconnect and purge the hose. I do exercise due care as I know that any system or procedure can fail.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 07:44 AM   #41

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Take a look at this one.
www.polychute.com
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 10:05 AM   #42

Now that looks like a good product.