Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2013, 05:19 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7ole View Post
You asked for an expert opinion, well here is one. I normally don't tout myself as an expert, but in this case I will as a registered professional engineer with 40 years of experience with potable water systems.

I would not recommend this to anyone. All it uses, per the website, to prevent cross contamination is a simple vacuum breaker. If the water supply looses pressure at a low point in the system and the one stage vacuum break fails, it can suck raw sewage into the hose and into the entire campground's water system. Very bad. Even a simple hard connection from a pressure water supply to an underground sprinkler requires a complex RPZ (reduced pressure zone) backflow preventer according to most plumbing codes.

Same can be said for your black tank pressure flushing connection. Don't use it please unless at an approved dump station with a hose labeled "non-potable water".
After reading all the positive remarks about Sewer Solution and then reading the above from an expert I would like to know if there is a solution to this issue? Since I will be camping on a friend's property I don't want to cause any problems!
RVBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2013, 08:25 AM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVBaby View Post
After reading all the positive remarks about Sewer Solution and then reading the above from an expert I would like to know if there is a solution to this issue? Since I will be camping on a friend's property I don't want to cause any problems!
Presuming you need to dump your sewer to a place that you cannot reach with your slinky, you could go with either a dump cart or a macerator pump system.

But don't get me started on macerators. They have their place, but not for your short connection to a campground dump. The general rule in sewer design is let it flow by gravity unless you absolutely have to pump it. And I have designed many pressure sewer systems when the gravity outlet is too expensive due to heavy groundwater or extreme terrain. Problem with macerators is that they don't allow the swoosh factor you need to properly empty your black tank and when they do plug, have fun fixing that problem.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:34 AM   #31

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7ole View Post
You asked for an expert opinion, well here is one. I normally don't tout myself as an expert, but in this case I will as a registered professional engineer with 40 years of experience with potable water systems.

I would not recommend this to anyone. All it uses, per the website, to prevent cross contamination is a simple vacuum breaker. If the water supply looses pressure at a low point in the system and the one stage vacuum break fails, it can suck raw sewage into the hose and into the entire campground's water system. Very bad. Even a simple hard connection from a pressure water supply to an underground sprinkler requires a complex RPZ (reduced pressure zone) backflow preventer according to most plumbing codes.

Same can be said for your black tank pressure flushing connection. Don't use it please unless at an approved dump station with a hose labeled "non-potable water".
I don't doubt your qualifications, however IMHO the answer to your concerns would be not to use the Sewer Solution or rinse your black tank, even though it has a back flow preventer and the inlet in my case is located above the black tank, if there is no water pressure at the spigot.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:31 AM   #32

Gulf Streamers Club
CJ7ole, While I understand your concerns, one of the things about the SS is it has a clear cap. When water is turned on at the faucet, you can see and hear the water flow. I would never pull the dump valve if water wasn't flowing. I am not so concerned with any bacteria that could swim upstream, through a 50 foot garden hose into my potable water system. If they can make it, they deserve a chance to thrive in my colon.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:47 AM   #33

Plus, if you are worried about that, you could have the back flow preventer that is now a requirement for builders, You could just carry it with you and screw it on to the h20 supply. Afteer dumping ,unscrew, put it back in bay.
fletch460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:08 PM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Is a contamination issue likely to happen to you? No. But all home building codes are the result of a number of things coming together a number of times and the result being harm to people more than once. I'm just saying that best measures dictate there are not enough safeguards built into many RV products and designs. If it were up to people like me to write the RV plumbing code, sewer and water connections would be in separate compartments to start. But let's face it, in the end it is all about the money.

So if I had a Sewer Solution, and I was in a position that I had to use it, I would make sure I didn't use my potable water hose to supply water to it and I would be there every minute it was in operation to verify that it is working as intended. I wouldn't start it up and then come back in 10 minutes to see if the black and/or grey tanks were empty. And I would have at least a check valve in my supply hose.

Liken it to working outside with power tools with your feet in wet grass and the extension cord plugged into a non-GCFI outlet. You will probably be ok, but why chance it.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:52 PM   #35

Gulf Streamers Club
There are times when 'Survival of the Fittest' works. While all your concerns are valid, if things were made Idiot Proof, God would just make better idiots. I really don't think a Sewer Solution is a real danger to contaminating a communities' water system, but dumping raw sewage on the ground could be. If an idiot or two misuses or doesn't monitor their use of a product, I figure it strengthens the gene pool for the rest of us. You just can't engineer stupid out of all things for sale.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:00 PM   #36

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
There are times when 'Survival of the Fittest' works. While all your concerns are valid, if things were made Idiot Proof, God would just make better idiots. I really don't think a Sewer Solution is a real danger to contaminating a communities' water system, but dumping raw sewage on the ground could be. If an idiot or two misuses or doesn't monitor their use of a product, I figure it strengthens the gene pool for the rest of us. You just can't engineer stupid out of all things for sale.
X2
Old 03-20-2013, 02:39 PM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
The simple vacuum breaker was still working on mine after over 13 years using it 7 months a year. It also has a shut off valve on the vacuum breaker.

I only had to turn it on during the last 1/4 of the black tank and after the gray was empty to clean out the hose. It is not necessary to leave it on all the time while dumping, and I was dumping up hill around 40'away.

The nozzle is so small (Pin size) and any back pressure is only gravity feed. With a complete failure of the vacuum breaker, it would take a long time to get much back feed into a hose full of water with no pressure.

So a registered professional engineer probably should have one in hand to test it out. Not just what they read on line about it, and say it is not safe to use.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:42 PM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
I've been using mine for the last 13 years too. No problems, works great.

I do have 2 sets of hoses. White for house,drinking water and gray hoses for everything else. I use a gated y connector at the tap. One side is the white hose. I only connect the gray hose when I'm going to dump and I close the gate/valve on the white hose while dumping. Additionally I observe the dump process during the time it takes to complete. I do not go away to do something else during the process- even if I happen to be using the stinky slinky. This goes a long way toward making sure everything is operating as designed.
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:50 PM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Well, because of allthe reviews and discussions I went ahead andordered one. If only to be able to drain the tanks at home, if I need to.
Pricejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:04 PM   #40

I've been using one for around 8 years or so. The only way to have something go wrong is to not use the vacuum breaker and at the same time the Main water gets shut off. I personally think the "SwOOOsh Factor" is overrated as it always still leaves "material" behind no matter how full the tank was, evidence is filling tank again and watching thru clear adapter and watching it go by. I put mine on 8 years ago and it's never been off, yeah it might take a little longer but so does washing and unhooking up your Slinky hose. Another plus is you can drag the 1" hose all over if needed and you won't damage it in any way.
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:11 PM   #41

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Great price for one here on PPL:

Sewer Solution for sale from PPL Motor Homes - PPL Motor Homes
Old 03-21-2013, 05:59 PM   #42

sewer solutions

I have not heard of that one but am seriously looking at Polychute hose connectors. They look great as they are a heavier quality than standard hoes ad the shut off valves could be a plus. Does anybody have one?
Polychute
Denlor is offline   Reply With Quote