Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2015, 07:17 PM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan5711 View Post
Do you put chemicals back in the gray water tank after every dump.
We use Happy Camper in the black tank and it works well with odor and breakdown. I have put a half dose down the kitchen sink when we were getting a little odor, but I usually do not treat the gray tank.
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2015, 07:18 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My hoses aren't hooked up unless I am dumping.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 07:25 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
When mine is going to be set up for a month or so I put a small amount in the gray tank also.
Old 11-29-2015, 07:29 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdebarmore View Post
Chemicals in gray tank ? We put deodorizer in black tank after dumping.
Every once in a while, we put a 1/2 cup of Simple Green in the gray tank with about 6 gal of fresh water when on a longer drive. It splashes around, cleans the sensors, and keeps it fresh(er).
Traxless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 06:32 AM   #19

The best answer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by timetogo View Post
... Better for solids to swim than beached..........
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 09:45 AM   #20
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We keep the black tank closed until at least 3/4 full. We leave the gray tank open until the black tank hits 3/4, then close the gray tank for a couple of showers. We then empty the black tank, flushing it out with the built-in flusher until the water is clear, then open the gray tank to flush out the sewer hose.

We have been using the Happy Camper tank treatment in the black tank for 14 years with no problems of clogging or odor!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 09:58 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan5711 View Post
When you have your sewer hose connected to the sewer pipe do you have your valves open or closed.I leave mine closed but the last CG we were in I was shocked how many people leaves there's open.Is there a right way and a wrong way?
I guess we are in the minority. We keep black tank closed and dump when 2/3 full, but leave grey tank open. Never had flies or smells. We have a black tank wash out valve so don't need to rely on grey water to rinse sewer hose. If didn't have that then I would keep both closed for the rinse reason already stated.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 10:31 AM   #22

This turned out a lot better than the thread on wearing gloves to connect/disconnect the dump hose. LOL

I keep them closed until I need to dump the tanks.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 02:50 PM   #23

Have never seen it happen but sewer gas contains methane which has been known to go BOOM on occasion. I keep both of mine closed until 3/4 full and dump the black tank first followed by the grey to flush the line.

Neverhome
Neverhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 03:09 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
We keep the black tank closed until at least 3/4 full. We leave the gray tank open until the black tank hits 3/4, then close the gray tank for a couple of showers. We then empty the black tank, flushing it out with the built-in flusher until the water is clear, then open the gray tank to flush out the sewer hose.

We have been using the Happy Camper tank treatment in the black tank for 14 years with no problems of clogging or odor!
I use the same process and treatment also...
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 03:14 PM   #25

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What a CRAPPY thread!!
Both closed until I need to dump the black. Check the grey before and after laundry and showers and dump as needed but make sure I have at least half grey before dumping black.

Funny thing first time I RV'd was with a rental class "C" and I thought once hooked up you left both open all the time, wasn't until this forum and purchased my RV I read how wrong that was
Also learned on that trip why gloves are a must and an extra hose for rinsing area if accident happens. hose wasn't quite locked and when I open the black the forced popped it off

Was so embarrassed and the park manager was chuckling at me and told me it happens, sent a guy over with a power washer to go over the area I hosed down.
Dennis Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 03:27 PM   #26

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfran304 View Post
My hoses aren't hooked up unless I am dumping.

Jon
That's my method as well as not dumping till ¾ full. but I've been RV'ing longer than RV's have had septic system too.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 03:41 PM   #27

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to Shellback1
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarrytheBear View Post
Between the sewer gas and solids left in tanks and hose, these are good enough reasons to leave the valves closed until it's time to dump.

If I think about it I will open the gray valve before we shower. (And hope I don't forget to close it afterwards.)

Another thing we do is occasionally dump the dishwater down the commode to let soapy water help clean the black tank. (And to help fill the black tank.)

I do the same thing with the dish soap. Also keep both valves closed. 2 years ago in Keesler AFB CG they had an exterminator come to spray millions of roaches coming out of the main sewer lines.
Shellback1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 04:06 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Same as the majority - closed until needed...

before the sani-con died I would leave the grey open until the day before we left and let a couple of showers, etc... fill the grey.

But with the stinky slinky I will hook up the hoses in case there are extra long showers involved so I don't have to hook them up while screams are coming from the bath

or if it decides to rain when SWMBO decides it's time for me to dump !