Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-30-2015, 04:30 PM   #29
Newmar Owners Club
The RV Geeks have a video on this topic they leave the gray open but leave a kink in the slinky to stop the sewer odors!

2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3920
MrCosio is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2015, 07:36 PM   #30
Originally Posted by stan5711 View Post
If either one of them is open aren't you going to have sewer gas come in.
ref post #6; always leave a dip in the hose to create a "water trap" similar to standard P-traps in household sink drains.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 06:25 AM   #31
Originally Posted by Dennis Dean View Post
What a CRAPPY thread!!
Both closed until I need to dump the black. Check the grey before and after laundry and showers and dump as needed but make sure I have at least half grey before dumping black.

Funny thing first time I RV'd was with a rental class "C" and I thought once hooked up you left both open all the time, wasn't until this forum and purchased my RV I read how wrong that was
Also learned on that trip why gloves are a must and an extra hose for rinsing area if accident happens. hose wasn't quite locked and when I open the black the forced popped it off

Was so embarrassed and the park manager was chuckling at me and told me it happens, sent a guy over with a power washer to go over the area I hosed down.
Yep..... One of those "oh s---" newbie learnings. Good for a chuckle now, but wasn't funny when the connection between the hoses came apart.......

Of all the helpful hints I have learned over the last year from iRV2, the one I never saw (but have since seen from either Escapees or FMCA) is to do a quick short dump on the gray tank to ensure all connections are good before dumping the black, then of course dump the rest of the gray.......
2015 Tiffin Allegro 31SA, 24k chassis
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 10:00 AM   #32
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We typically stay at least 2 weeks at a time. Where we have no services, obviously both stay closed the whole time, no problem with black capacity, but we are forced to eat out a lot and use campground showers as the grey fills too fast.

In FL we have full services and stay 30-60 days. Here we dump black about every two weeks and leave the grey open until a day before we disconnect. Sewer gas? Not a problem, it just vents out the stack. Flies? Never noticed a problem. We do have a flush connection on the black tank that really helps when we dump.

I have a clear section in the bay and am surprised how clear the grey water is when I dump it. Still stinky though.
Ole and Anne Anderson, Highland, Michigan
'02 Adventurer 32V, Ford F-53, ours since 4/08,Goodyears, Konis, SeeLevel, CHF
'84 CJ-7 , 5.3 Chevy, 3" lift, 33's, Detroit Locker, Fiberglas tub, winch, hi-lift
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 10:10 AM   #33
Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
We keep the black tank closed until at least 3/4 full. We leave the gray tank open until the black tank hits 3/4, then close the gray tank for a couple of showers. We then empty the black tank, flushing it out with the built-in flusher until the water is clear, then open the gray tank to flush out the sewer hose.
Ditto. And we have a SaniCon.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 04:45 PM   #34
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Closed, unless dumping, And thanks for the reminder. I need to dump tomorrow.

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote