Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-28-2013, 06:57 PM   #1
Shade advantages vs. debris downsides of permanent site in tree grove?

I'm getting conflicting advice on where to situate my 36' fifth-wheel on permanent rural site (east Texas): Some say to take advantage of the shade (and AC energy savings in summer & solar heating in winter) of a deciduous tree grove. Others tell me that no matter how well I try to tarp and cover (or net) my RV, they say that I will reject the dangers and damage of even modest falling limbs as well as the falling tree sap and inspects. (And some say that even if I'm vigilant with weekly cleaning of everything, I should never park near trees.)

What do you think? (And what if the only alternative is parking out in the open sun, and perhaps using air-penetrating solar shades, etc.?)

[Yes, if I decide that I'm happy living their long-term, I may invest in a permanent roof structure above the RV, and perhaps the south side or more protected as well. But I don't want to make those kinds of investments yet.]

PaulAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2013, 07:16 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Tree sap and such can be removed with washing and waxing. I prefer the shade to setting out in the sun.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 02:47 AM   #3
Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Shade will be a lot less expensive. The cost of running the AC in the hot sun far outweighs the cost and/or time of cleaning the roof once in a while.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:15 AM   #4
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Shade, of course.
I do all my own stunts
03 Dolphin LX 6355, Workhorse W22, 8.1 vortec, 04 CR-V, Blue Ox, Brake Pro----Norm, Barb and
Doc(He's a PhD)
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:18 AM   #5
Originally Posted by njs42 View Post
Shade, of course.
IF you don't mind the annoying pest that fly or run through the trees dropping acorns/twigs, or the residual rain that falls after a rain.
corjaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:34 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
After spending the winter last year under oak trees, I would have to vote, "no shade" the roof cleaning is a task, try removing all the sap off your awnings and slide covers!
Clay & Pebble.. Miss Butter our sweet Goldie (Jan. 2005-Jan. 2015) Sissy our Border Collie
2012 Providence 42 M. Spartan Chassis, 450 ISL
Ford Edge toad, RM All Terrane, TST TPMS, SMI Air Force One, RVM95....
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:48 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I park under / near pine trees when the coach is not in use - so half the coach gets pine straw covering the roof but I don't see anything really detrimental.
Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:03 AM   #8
Coastal Campers
I was at a site in mostly shade for 14 months a year ago. What a mess it made of the roof and that was only two thirds of the roof under the trees. Between acorns, twigs, leaves, and mold it was a nightmare to keep clean. The front roof portion, in the open, was like new. The worst mess was the way the leaves blew in under the air conditioner shroud on the rear air. It was a monthly trip up on the roof to blow out the leaves and shovel off the acorns and twigs. When it was time to leave, I had to push broom off the four slides just to get to the once white roof to clean it prior to bringing in the slides.

The slight advantage of being in the shade was not enough for me to do that again. This year I put it on the beach for the summer. The roof only required a hose off before returning to storage, which by the way is under roof and where it stays when we are not using it. So for me, any extended stay, no shade is not only the preference, its a no go item. That's why I have two air conditioners.
Thor Four Winds 22e
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:37 PM   #9
Very interesting how the comments/answers vary so greatly in the differing experiences.

I'd love to know how the species of trees might possibly have impacted your varied experiences....but thank you all for your excellent feedback on my question. You've been very helpful.
FT'er,38' 5W/ToyHauler but no toys; rural eastern Texas 140mi.from Houston coastline.[On-grid gray/black-water code-compliant.] Interested in feedback re: climate/mold issues, vermin/pests/coyotes, energy-conservation tech & experiments, passive solar, RV security.
PaulAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:40 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I always avoided the trees if I could.

Adios, Dirk - '84 Real Lite Truck Camper, '86 Wilderness Cimarron TT, previously 4 years as a fulltimer in a '07 DSDP

No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message, but millions of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote