Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2014, 10:50 PM   #1

Shake down run...complete!

ok...finally got 2 days off in a row...(with 72 hrs notice) and decided to do a shake down on our "new" 1995 Rexhall. First need to evac and recharge the A/c because it was showing all the signs of having moisture contamination...new drier from Oreilly, 3.5 cans of R-134a from Wallyworld...done....getting 35 degree drop ( compared to ambient) from vents now ( was 15).

I actually drove the bus over to Oreilly when i picked up the drier to compare, and i left it running outside with the DW inside...after 15 minutes in the store she came running in hollering that the bus was overheating. Thankfully it was just at the top of the operating range ( 225-230ish).

So I grabbed 3 gallons of "green" concentrate, 3 gallons of distilled H2O, a new "fail-safe" 195 thermostat, and a back flush kit.

Well I found some gloppy crap in the overflow bottle, obvious remnants of DEXCOOL.....but it appeared to be mostly green coolant in there.....so i captured all the old coolant and flushed the block for 30 minutes or so. 5 Fresh gallons of homemade coolant ( 70/30 mix with boil at 260), new thermostat....temps are good.

So minor setbacks aside....ready to go...Made reservations at a KOA Krampground about 100 miles away. ( I Know...too much distance and too little time...but this was just a systems shakedown).

So I dont have an easy drive in any direction from here.....and of course I chose the hardest.
100 miles of Interstate, with an elevation change of 3800 feet in the first 40 miles ( 3200 MSL to 7000 MSL). And it is 105F when we leave! So the dash A/C stays off, and the generator and roof tops go "on"!
I was watching the newly installed mechanical triple gauges like a hawk...but the old Rex is a trooper......the factory gauge made it to the top of the operating range, the other showed me a solid 225.....the whole way up.....we did get down to 40 mph at times...and she wanted to drop to second gear a few times....i kept it in 3rd most of the way ( with pedal manipulation) and the temp never went higher.

We got to the KOA about an hour before sunset, easy quick hook up with only one hitch.
I apparently have to re-tape a connection into the water inlet valve ( guess what got left home...tools).
so to keep from wasting the KOA's truck hauled water with a leak from my inlet valve...I filled my tank halfway and shut the valve. ( did i mention i hadn't run the house pump aside from sanitizing...a few months ago?)

Luckily the pump makes great pressure! the new Dometic 320 is great, the holding tanks work as they should, and an ice cold Sam Adams is perfect after a long day behind the wheel....all in all...a good shakedown.

So 200 miles in the books....systems.. nominal....and 7.8 MPG over the course of the short run. Not to shabby for a 19 year old rig climbing almost 4000 feet!

Probably never going to have a chance to "drive" a Boeing, so I bought an Aerbus!
jeepthrills is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2014, 09:58 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Congrats on the new rig! Sounds like you've got it figured out!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 02:49 PM   #3

Roger That on the Sam Adams! I'd say you deserve more than one. Congrats on your first run. Here's to many more (and, you will never have the 'right' tool, so just plan on improvising!!).
Old 07-22-2014, 09:24 PM   #4

run number 2

just did a couple days out and back to Show Low, AZ.

Funny...once we got out of the valley here and into the slightly cooler temps, ( like from 103-105 down to 85-88), the fresh box on the fridge was doing ok. Right around 39-42 degrees. Now I dont know if it was the drop in ambient temp, or just moving it around and a clog moved, but hey...I will take it.

Also had a major increase in MPG ( once i factored out the generator fuel). Got it up to 9.75. Thats still in the mountains, riding along the Mogollon Rim.
I bet she hits 12+ on the flats. Will find out soon....Cali trip coming up.

BTW...forgot the pics!

Probably never going to have a chance to "drive" a Boeing, so I bought an Aerbus!
jeepthrills is offline   Reply With Quote