Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2014, 09:51 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Shakedown Cruise

One of the DW's bucket list items is to visit every State Capitol Building. We still have 10 to go. We also go south each winter, so I decided a visit to 4 of the capitols in nearby States would be a good shakedown Cruise before our longer trek South. It must be working, as things are shaking apart! On the first night out I woke up to water running in streams from inside the basement. The MH was standing in a 2" deep lake of fresh water! A PEX fitting , connected to the backside of the water heater had split and was dumping water out as fast as the parks connection would allow. Naturally it was hidden behind a well placed panel that required removal using a 71 year old contorted body to do it. And, it was also on a Sunday in small town America. You know the town, It is the one that no longer has any services beyond the local church (I doub't all the praying in the world would not put any PEX fittings in their inventory) Several hours later after traveling to distant towns for a fitting and hours of drying out the basement we were again on the road.
Yesterday I started getting a warning buzzer that would not register long enough to get a handle on exactly what it was trying to tell me. After several miles it indicated a low battery warning. The volt gauge was reading 11.8V. Next came the check eng light, that alternated with the low voltage warning. By the time we arrived at the nearest large town with a Freightliner dealer we were informed the service backup would be 4 days out. However there was a Pilot down the road that may be able to help. They diagonosed the problem to a bad alternator that could be purchased at the Freightliner dealer, whom closes in 15 minutes and would not reopen until Monday. We have an extended warranty plan that requires preapproval from the repair facility. That requires a federal tax # that the clerk does not have. Now my shakedown cruise requires me to learn about how one goes about getting a reimbursment from paying for a $500+ bill out of his own pocket on an afterhour repair!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2014, 02:40 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Did your water problem happen because you did not have a portable water pressure regulator/control gauge on the parks water faucet?

Amazon.com: water pressure gauge - RV Parts & Accessories: Automotive

Old 09-21-2014, 04:51 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Keep on shaking and hang in there Larry!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 09:08 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggy Daddy View Post
Did your water problem happen because you did not have a portable water pressure regulator/control gauge on the parks water faucet?

Amazon.com: water pressure gauge - RV Parts & Accessories: Automotive
I have a regulator. It happened because things happen! Beyond that! we are having a good trip.
Old 09-21-2014, 09:18 PM   #5
KIX

On my coach if the alternator fails I can run the genset to keep power in the chassis (and coach) batteries to continue driving for as far as my fuel will take me.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 08:54 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
On my coach if the alternator fails I can run the genset to keep power in the chassis (and coach) batteries to continue driving for as far as my fuel will take me.
Yep! The diesel will continue to run as long as it has fuel and air! Shut off either of those and you are done! (no spark plugs)
Old 09-22-2014, 09:16 AM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Larry, I can relate, and I think all that replied, can to. I worked in the oilfield in Western Oklahoma for 36 years. Believe me, it was 36 years of continual break downs. Now the breakdowns just hurt a little more than than used to, if you know what I mean. I can't see, stretch, bend, grip, like I used to, but I always seem to get the job repaired.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:29 AM   #8

You have a great attitude, kudos to you!!!