Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2008, 01:14 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
No flames please. I know I was brain dead and deserved what I got. This is for all readers so they don't make the same mistake.

On May 10 I was Scouting activities for a rally. I came across a J (Ft. Pierce, Florida exit 131 off I95) and needed gas for the SUV. Pulled in and filled up. Next was a stop for lunch. I looked at my receipt and saw I paid $3.85 a gallon for regular (cash price and no discount. The Pilot one mile down the same road was charging $3.67 and the local station about a mile off I95 was charging $3.44!

Never again will I assume the J has a competitive price. A sign reader I will be. Maybe this is how they are funding the discount for RV Value Card members who purchase gasoline?
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2008, 01:14 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
No flames please. I know I was brain dead and deserved what I got. This is for all readers so they don't make the same mistake.

On May 10 I was Scouting activities for a rally. I came across a J (Ft. Pierce, Florida exit 131 off I95) and needed gas for the SUV. Pulled in and filled up. Next was a stop for lunch. I looked at my receipt and saw I paid $3.85 a gallon for regular (cash price and no discount. The Pilot one mile down the same road was charging $3.67 and the local station about a mile off I95 was charging $3.44!

Never again will I assume the J has a competitive price. A sign reader I will be. Maybe this is how they are funding the discount for RV Value Card members who purchase gasoline?
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 02:44 PM   #3
doc

Appalachian Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Shame On The FLying J </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why shame on the J? More like shame on ole Gary for not looking closer.

I am guilty of the same thing - assuming Flying J has the best price. I might pay a little more for the conveniece of not trying to tell some pimple faced clerk at the fuel desk that I am a motorhome and don't have a truck number. I hate to have to pull to the pumps and then go in and stand in line just to tell the clerk I will be paying cash, or have to leave my card while I fuel and then come back to recover and once again stand in line. I expect to get my card bill one of these day and see where someone has bought a tremendous amount of stuff with it while I am fueling.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 03:07 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I expect to get my card bill one of these day and see where someone has bought a tremendous amount of stuff with it while I am fueling. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I keep my expired cards and when I have to leave a card at the fuel desk, that is the one I leave. Comes time to pay I hand them a good card.
DICK
Acker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 03:44 PM   #5

Shame on J? Check your prices first ...Right A town in SD has a gas station just off I29 If you drive into town(about 1 mile) gas is atleast 10 cents per gal cheaper

2006 30 ft Cherokee TT
j2detoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 05:08 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gary,

Don't beat yourself up too much, we've all done it at one time or another. I used to use that J quite often but it is usually so busy that it is a real pain. Pilot has been the better bet lately in that area.

Mike
lthrnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 05:11 PM   #7
cwg

I agree with you,Gary. I always try to buy fuel from Flying J as they are usually the most competative and have a good quality fuel. So you have taught me a lesson... I will look before I leap.

Thanks for sharing.
cwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 05:31 PM   #8

Flying J on I65 in Alabama was $.05 /gal.higher than fuel in Florida last week. Most of the time FJ has the better price and parking IMO.

Milton Fl.
Noworries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 06:01 PM   #9

Mid Atlantic Campers
I posted elsewhere that during our winter caravan I had discovered that local fuel retailers were cheaper then the big truck stops, and they didn't charge a premium for using credit cards.
It always pays to shop.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 05:26 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Here's a good site from MSN Autos for checking local fuel prices: Fuel Prices

I like this site a lot better than the Gas Buddy website because the prices are downloaded each night from the stations themselves rather than relying on user imput.

Here's another site from Diesel Boss where you can receive an email twice a week listing the fuel prices at the truck stops: Diesel Boss fuel prices, or you can go to the site and download the prices (click on the icon of the diesel pump to the right of the screen).
Old 05-12-2008, 10:53 AM   #11

I think the problem might be that in this era we live in, the price changes so much that it depends on when the gas was put into their big tanks. I was filling up recently in Utah and as my wife was paying, the clerk told her that when I got thru, they were going up 6 cents a gallons as they had just gotten a new tanker in and had to raise the price. The state taxes also vary a lot between states and we frequently get on the CB and ask truckers is the gas cheaper in Texas or New Mexico and handle our fillup accordingly. The state taxes vary a lot from state to state.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:47 AM   #12

Add my name to the list. Flying J was 3 cents higher and I just assumed ole Flying J would come through.
Then had to make two trips inside to make things work.
No more Flying J, experience is the best teacher.