Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2017, 01:58 PM   #15

My wife and I chatter back and forth as we setup and take down camp but only related to the task at hand.

We have a ritual we do before we pull away for real. We meet at the front of the truck and high five each other. We then walk around the rig, her on one side, me on the other, calling out the items that pertain to safe and proper towing. I turn on all the lights and the four-ways. When we get to the rear of the trailer we high five again and continue the circuit. When we get back to the starting point he high five one more time and then crawl in.

So far we have found two things that we had missed.
1) Hood on truck was not secure, wife caught this.
2) Pin lock on hitch not engaged, I caught this.
Parrott_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2017, 03:21 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caralex View Post
Hi People,
Newbie here. We just purchased our first rv and are very excited and also nervous! Would you mind sharing the one (or more) tips you would tell a newbie? Much appreciated.

I went camping 2 weeks ago and meet a nice couple, they did not have hot water in their new MH so I said I'll come take a look. Well the water heater had no plug in it which means no water and they had the gas and electric on all night long. So I got that fixed for them. They had no water regulator and we had high water pressure, rear tires about 6 inches off the ground. Both grey and black valves open making poop mounds. I did my good deed and hopefully help and gave them my number if they had any questions really nice people.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:36 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Go through your RV manual and from it develop a departure and arrival checklist. Use the checklist religiously.
Jeep trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 10:47 PM   #18

thank you thank you

What great responses. We bought a 2018 Jayco Precept 31ul. Love the product, the dealer not as much. we rented space for a week in an RV resort as we load from our home. Our first stop on our way is a dry camping location near to civilization if we freak out but far enough away if we dont.

Deep appreciation for these tips.
Caralex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 12:04 AM   #19

Read, read, and read some more.

That is my suggestion. We looked and talked for four years before buying. Planned on a 5th wheel TH and had even bought the 3500 to pull it with and then ended up with the class C. I brought it home and sat down with all the manuals started reading and also had up IRV2 to read what the manuals didn't tell me. Then I started putting my hands on everything covered to see what did what. I sat down and pulled panels and pushed buttons for hours. Then I got to the point of confusion and went to WalMart and bought an accordion file and began organizing manuals. Look at your build sheet ( take a pic and print it), then check off every item and make sure you have the manual and if not download and print it. If you run into an operational question, ask now rather than when you are stuck somewhere. It is much easier and less stressful on you and the wife to ask now rather than at 9 pm out somewhere and everybody is tired and cranky. It was that late Friday that I had an unanticipated issue with levelers and found out at a campsite with spotty internet that I was missing a manual. Luckily I was talked through it by tech support, but was so tired and frustrated that I finished it the next day. Our coach as been back to the dealer once and that was three weeks after purchase for a minor issue, but it was a potential water intrusion issue so I wanted them to fix it. Between this forumn and the manuals, I have been able to handle everything else.
If you are going to boon dock, do it where you won't be stuck if something goes wrong and get a feel for it first and test your systems. Even if it is in your back yard. You will be surprised at how fast batteries drain and tanks fill.
Another thread you need to research is "what do I need"? I am talking both hardware ( EMS, water and sewer hoses, cribbing, ect) to soft items for the inside and speaking of soft, any septic safe toilet paper will be fine. You can use the John Wayne TP that came with the coach to start fires or wipe the counters.

Above all, be prepared to improvise and compensate. The more you do the better prepared you will be.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:28 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
Drain black tank first, then the gray tank to wash out your hose.
Yes, but............

First do a short dump of the gray tank..... It's much better to find out you have a loose sewer hose connection with gray water than black .

So, when dumping tanks.

Do a short dump on the gray tank to ensure all connections are good.
Dump black.
Dump gray.
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 07:19 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betr2Trvl View Post
Yes, but............

First do a short dump of the gray tank..... It's much better to find out you have a loose sewer hose connection with gray water than black .

So, when dumping tanks.

Do a short dump on the gray tank to ensure all connections are good.

Dump black.

Dump gray.

What a great suggestion. On my 1 mishap, I wish I had done that. This will now be part of my routine.
wnorton is offline   Reply With Quote