Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2012, 07:51 AM   #29

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Advertising a low price then overcharging on shipping, handling, and fees is a common bait and switch tactic, old as advertising itself. Ever see an infomercial that says "But wait, order in the next two minutes, and we'll give you a second one FREE (just pay s&h)". That tells you they can manufacture, pack and ship this item for what they are charging in s&h.

Airlines just got their hand slapped for this very thing.

Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2012, 07:59 AM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I spent just over ten years working for the post office after I retired from the Air Force and I came to understand that the greated part of the problem on the lack of USPS shipping availiblility is a lot of companies sign exclusive shipping contracts with the private shippers, ie., UPS and Fed-Ex. The selling companies get a discount from the private shippers and direct pick-up. Even the PO gets into that act. One of the drug companies located here has PO employees working in their distribution center. Poor internal postal and union management and the prohibitive regulations created by our delearly beloved government and it's poor regulation of the PO and what can or can not be shipped. I've seen the same practice on ebay where shipping and handeling is 7 to 10 dollars for an item that can be slipped into a regular size envelope.

VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:12 AM   #31

I just went to order my DW some of those pajamas that are advertised for Valentines day and the price is high enough , but went to checkout and they wanted $22 to ship. No way.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:55 AM   #32

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimesy View Post
Why can Overstock.Com ship the package for less than 3 bucks? Recently had shocks sent to me, very heavy, for fifteen. Someone is making money.

Don
Someone is making money. YOU

Do you think someone that advertises free shipping to you is actually get free shipping from UPS or the Post office??!!

They are subsidizing your shipping costs on the heavy items, so you will you continue to shop there for many many small items. $3 for shipping a set of shocks is a loss-leader, or most likely the true shipping costs are rolled into the item price.

Understand that giant mega-shippers like Amazon and the O can negotiate for very low rates from UPS & Fedex due to their volume- mid-range and smaller retailers can't get anywhere near those rates.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:00 AM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I noticed that the original poster is from Canada and was ordering something from the US. Shipping and Customs will always be higher when going to another country. I don't think that most shipping within the US is too unreasonable. You just have to use good judgment about the total cost to you of the product and shipping.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:03 PM   #34

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrateSilly View Post
...The most common problem when shipping to us is when the person on the other end does not put our correct address on the label...
That has been a HUGE problem for me. I have a PMB address and it is unbelieveable how many vendors and carriers feel obligated to change my address. Often it is faulty software that does it but improperly trained personnel also do it just as frequently.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:28 PM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
But wait don't send your money yet. We'll through in a second one free, just pay "separate shipping and handling". Usually more that the cost of the original article.
n7bq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:29 PM   #36

I can't dis the USPS. HOW do they know exactly when you need a shipped package...clairvoyant? I shipped a small package from Bonner's Ferry, ID on March 30, 2011 and it somehow arrived in Chicken, AK exactly the day we arrived...June 22, 2011. HOW DO THEY KNOW? Bob

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:11 PM   #37

I have a small business that's ships items everyday and have used USPS, UPS, and Fed X at some point and time. UPS is hands down the best option, with Fed X a distant 2nd, USPS is not even an option except Canada and overseas. Once I shipped two identical items via postal service, one from Ms to Ca and the other from Ms to SCOTLAND , the shipment to Scotland arrived 5 days before the California shipment! I can ship 40lbs anywhere in the lower 48 via UPS cheaper than flat rate through the post office plus free pickup, free tracking, and free signature delivery which are extra with the postal service. UPS is a profitable business that can do it better and mostly cheaper than the tax payer subsidized postal service which is constantly losing money. Why? I won't go down that road, it's been traveled too much lately.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:39 PM   #38

USPS is great for shipping Parcel post in the USA but try to ship anywhere else or another method and forget it. Spent 2 hrs today at the PO trying to get the customs form right with NO help from the gal at the counter. They are going under big time and it's just a matter of time before they sink into nothing and a private company takes them over.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:39 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
.....USPS is no cheaper than UPS, .........)
Maybe not

I took a 22" monitor (boxed) to UPS shipping to CO from NC - $50 plus insurance for over $100 value

Took same boxed Monitor to USPS shipping $25 including $200 insurance

PHESPE
Old 02-07-2012, 08:18 PM   #40

Shipped a computer hard drive from Ms to Ca yesterday insured for $600 for less than $20 , I do have a commercial account but I'm not that big of a shipper. I guess that tells you what the UPS store is making, after all they are individually owned franchises.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:31 PM   #41

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
The UPS store is just a franchise business that will overcharge you for boxing up your items and shipping them at counter rate through UPS.

No deals there.

Go online and create your own account with UPS or FedEx- won't cost you a cent. You can print your own labels and get the online discount as well.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:39 PM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBB View Post
USPS is great for shipping Parcel post in the USA but try to ship anywhere else or another method and forget it. Spent 2 hrs today at the PO trying to get the customs form right with NO help from the gal at the counter. They are going under big time and it's just a matter of time before they sink into nothing and a private company takes them over.
Actually if you bothered to check it out instead of believing your congress you would find that the USPS is actually making money and pork barreling has totally trashed this profit and turned it into a loss.

It was covered quite well in a news documentary up here in Canada and was an example of why to not allow more lobbying and to totally banish pork barrel politics.