Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2012, 08:51 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc3283 View Post
Vendors do not like using USPS for a few reasons.

A)Lack of accurate scans, items many times delivered and not scanned "delivered". This allows buyer to state they did not receive the package and buyer can get their $ back....leaving the vendor without payment or his shipped goods
B) POOR customer service if you ever have to call in. Once done with the CS rep...you realize they do not care about you or your lost or damaged package. There is usually nothing at all that can be done by the CS rep.
C) If you ever do have a damaged good claim....well good luck....just almost every claim is denied due to improper packaging.

Vendors must protect themselves, as well as protect your items while in transit to you
USPS is not the best for the above reasons. All shipping companies loose packages, damage packages..thats a fact...but if a problem does arise...your odds of satisfaction are far greater with UPS and Fed Ex
I do not work for any shipping company. The above is just my findings with my 3000+ out going shipments yearly

I happen to like USPS. I just bought 2 solar panels and a Morningstar controller for my motorhome. They are shipped from California to Pa and I recieved them 2 days after they got my money. Now the controller was shipped USPS and the panels are coming Fedex. I recieved two tracking numbers and it's taking 8 days for Fedex and 2 for USPS and the tracking for Fedex sucks. All I know is they left California. And total shipping for both was $45.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2012, 11:10 PM   #44

Jimbo who do you think transported those panels from post office to post office??? A very good change it was Fed Ex or UPS. They both move tons of priority mail for the USPS. The last stop for my UPS driver every day is going by the post office for tons of their packages.
Like I said...all have problems....some worse than others....

Old 02-07-2012, 11:10 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
USPS is no cheaper than UPS, so it's really a moot point cost wise. Shipping is expensive no matter which carrier you choose. The last small item I purchased from CW was $11, and shipping on it was $12. (Shame on ME for placing the order but I won't mail order from them again.)
Really? Ask UPS to take a letter across the country for you for. Let me know how much cheaper they are.

If it fits it ships prices are much cheaper than UPS/Fed Ex/etc. Go online and check if you don't believe me. I just ran the comparison a few weeks ago. USPS was much less expensive.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:37 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc3283 View Post
Jimbo who do you think transported those panels from post office to post office??? A very good change it was Fed Ex or UPS. They both move tons of priority mail for the USPS. The last stop for my UPS driver every day is going by the post office for tons of their packages.
Like I said...all have problems....some worse than others....

You are missing my point. I got the controller in 2 days from California-Penna. via USPS. They shipped the panels the same day via Fedex and it's 8 days. The tracking told me every step of the way with USPS and all I know about the panels is they left California and are suppose to be here on the 8th. And both came from the same company in California.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:43 AM   #47

Jim, I understand your point. Yes USPS can deliver quicker than UPS and Fed Ex most of the time, but on the occasions it doesn't work out flawless as yours has...its a royal pain for the vendor or recipient to get any sort of answer out of USPS. USPS will say 21-30 days before a claim can be made, will almost always deny any damage claims stating improper packaging and on and on.
Fed Ex and UPS tracking will show each hub your package appears at and leaves...but if it is in a truck somewhere in transit...you won't receive a change in tracking until it reaches a hub.

You received USPS tracking which would be equal to 2 day shipping via Fed Ex or UPS (ie: item is traveling faster from hub to hub, so quicker tracking updates)

Everyone needs to remember when comparing rates... UPS includes $100.00 insurance with every package, Fed Ex I am not sure about and USPS offers NO insurance, it is an extra added cost. Many times when items are shipped with high weights or high insured values..Fed Ex and UPS are FAR cheaper than USPS.

I am not sticking up for any of them, just stating facts, occurrences I deal with daily in my outbound shipping
Old 02-08-2012, 04:00 AM   #48

I always thought it was called shipping and handling(S&H) because somebody has to pay for the boxes, bubble wrap, label and tape, plus the salary of the guy that puts it all together. Even if it is free shipping, the handling is usually included in the price. Look at a lot of the items on ebay with free shipping compared to the same exact item with shipping. It is usually pretty close to the same cost.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 04:18 AM   #49

With USPS, I can print a label and pay for shipping right from my desktop and even schedule a pickup time. If it's too big to fit in my mailbox, I leave a Postit in there for the mailman to knock on my door. I don't trust that he is supposed to get the pick-up notice. UPS and FedEx may offer the same service, but so far USPS has worked for me.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:08 AM   #50

If the company you are purchasing a product from tells you correctly the shipping costs, where is the abuse of the truth (lies) part? I can understand frustration with shipping costs, but I can't seem to find that any company is not telling the costs to ship. If you don't like the costs don't buy online.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:51 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akibase View Post
....I just went on the Forest River site and decided to order a couple of sweat shirts and hats for the DW and I......
Which is why I almost never order anything from online or a catalog anymore.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:24 PM   #52

Thor Owners Club
I read 90% of these posts... Did the OP have the item shipped to Canada? If he did that could explain the cost.... I sell and ship all the time and any item going outside the US of A can get expensive... My opinion only... Peace and Safe Travels... D

Hope to see all of you at the 2012 Rally...
Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:50 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
Which is why I almost never order anything from online or a catalog anymore.
It's getting so nobody wants to stock anything anymore. "You want a widgit"? "We can order it for you". Even grocery stores are cutting back on items they use to carry.