Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-06-2012, 05:23 AM   #1
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Shipping Cost and LIES

I just went on the Forest River site and decided to order a couple of sweat shirts and hats for the DW and I. When I went to check out the shipping cost was twice what the merchandise cost. The only option was UPS. What happened to the good old US Postal Service? Oh that's right they have gone crazy as well with prices as well. If you ship by by US Postal you will have it just in time for the 2013 RV season, if your lucky. On the other hand, all of the RV supply outlets have gone crazy with shipping prices. CW advertises 5.99 shipping, but that is not what it comes to if you order anything over
1 inch x 1 inch and under 1 ounce in weight. LOL

WHY CAN"T THEY BE HONEST? If you call the customer service of any of these companies, they all cry the blues about shipping costs.

Akibase is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2012, 06:19 AM   #2
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Many companies do that, Give you a great price and shaft you no end on shipping.

As to why they can't use USPS.. GOOD QUESTION.

Recommendation. Hit the "Cancel" button, and then hit 'Contact us" and tell 'em why

Recommendation 2: Well you already did that. Tell EVERYONE why.

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:24 AM   #3
Monaco Owners Club
IMHO, it is partly due to increased fuel costs for the trucks, etc. that carry the merchandise. Several years ago I bought a used snow blower for my tractor. The snow blower cost $415, the shipping via truck was $385. Plus there is the profit that is built in by the seller.
FMCA# 266040 HRRVC# 84109
2000 32' HR Vacationer w/Banks
'98 Subaru Outback 5 spd toad
SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:38 AM   #4
Many people may not be aware of something called "Amazon Prime." What you get is well worth the $89 price per year. But a side benefit is free 2 day shipping on most things that you purchase there, or thru one of their partners. And that's a lot of things you can purchase there.

We purchase nearly everything there anymore. Shipping is always 2 day delivery at no cost.

Just for information.

G L Arnold
'01 Bounder 33R
2003 Ford F150 Supercab 5.4
1997 Keystone Sprinter 24RL
Former Full-Timers
glarnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:15 AM   #5
Vendors do not like using USPS for a few reasons.

A)Lack of accurate scans, items many times delivered and not scanned "delivered". This allows buyer to state they did not receive the package and buyer can get their $ back....leaving the vendor without payment or his shipped goods
B) POOR customer service if you ever have to call in. Once done with the CS rep...you realize they do not care about you or your lost or damaged package. There is usually nothing at all that can be done by the CS rep.
C) If you ever do have a damaged good claim....well good luck....just almost every claim is denied due to improper packaging.

Vendors must protect themselves, as well as protect your items while in transit to you
USPS is not the best for the above reasons. All shipping companies loose packages, damage packages..thats a fact...but if a problem does arise...your odds of satisfaction are far greater with UPS and Fed Ex
I do not work for any shipping company. The above is just my findings with my 3000+ out going shipments yearly
sc3283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:05 AM   #6
Each company is different. I just ordered a new awning fabric and the shipping cost was $20 and I received it in 6 days. Even with the shipping cost the total price was a $100 less then any local dealer was going to sell it. So it depends on who you buy from.
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303 RLS
1997 GMC Sierra 3500 Dually
Go Dawgs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:07 AM   #7
Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Having done FeeBay (EBay) for the last 12 years, we ship 90% USPS flat rate. (If it fits it ships) 95% of FeeBay sellers over charge because of 2 things"

~ FeeBay as of a year ago charges "final value fees" of the shipping amount too. So sellers will state a heavier weight to recoup that added fee

~ You must now pre-package an item with a weight before your auction starts. It doesn't make any sense to package an item if your going to have to open it up to possibly combine it with another item the buyer bid on or someone has a detailed question about the item that requires another visual look.

USPS Flat rate is the way to go. Any weight / any US address

~ Small Flat Rate Box 8-5/8" x 5-3/8" x 1-5/8" $5.35 anywhere in the USA

~ Medium Flat Rate Box 13-5/8" x 11-7/8" x 3-3/8" or 11" x 8-1/2" x 5-1/2"

~ Large Flat Rate Box 23-11/16" x 11-3/4" x 3" or 12" x 12" x 5-1/2" $13.45
Jim, Diane & Robert ~ NE. OH.
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:41 AM   #8
Country Coach Owners Club
OK, so what lies are you talking about?
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:27 AM   #9
Obviously, each person makes their own choices. Personally, I will cancel any online order that I find will be shipped USPS. To me they are unreliable, slow, and their customer "no service" ranks them at the bottom IMO. We have had too many screwed up shipments that either cannot be traced or had to deal with some dum dum who acted like they were doing you a favor. JMHO.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:53 AM   #10
Not to belittle the issue you've incountered ... but:

Living here in Alaska we rarely get 'Free shipping' on anything, we fall with in the 'Shipped anywhere in the US except Alaska and Hawaii', 'over night' is 3 full business days at best, and when we do get anything shipped the cost is outrageous !!

Want to make yourself feel better about your shipping charges? Use an Anchorage Alaska residential zip code of 99503 to calculate shipping! Then if you live remote (no road system) you can pretty much double that figure if the item is bulky or oversized.
Back-to-Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:18 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
USPS is no cheaper than UPS, so it's really a moot point cost wise. Shipping is expensive no matter which carrier you choose. The last small item I purchased from CW was $11, and shipping on it was $12. (Shame on ME for placing the order but I won't mail order from them again.)
Sarah (RVM69), Hubby, and Harry the RVin' Dog
.......2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33C | 2012 Jeep Wrangler

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:27 AM   #12
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner

Good knowledge, thanks!
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:41 PM   #13
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Shipping charges, as of late, have caused me to turn thumbs down on some internet sales. Many times, rural areas excepted, you can pick the item up locally and pay less than the lower internet price of it because of the shipping. I used to not compare pricing so much, but this was back before shipping costs sky rocketed. Granted, shopping with a few clicks on the computer is convenient, but that convenience sure costs more than in the past.
dieselclacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:47 PM   #14
I normally only buy on line IF the shipping is free, OR if I calculate the total to be considerably cheaper than any local price if it is available. just me, thats why it is a free country, you can do as you please,.......within reason. lol

2015 Entegra
Cornerstone 45B
2014 Lincoln MKT
Ann n Gene is offline   Reply With Quote