Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2012, 08:23 AM   #1

Shoddy additional AC install from Camping World Katy TX

We took our 2012 Outback to Camping World in Katy TX to have an additional AC installed. Having just one AC didn't cut it. We dropped of our travel traler and they were to install a 13.5 unit that would have it's own plug to use in addition to the AC the unit came with. About 5 days later we got a call to come pick it up, that all done. We came in, paid and took her back to the storage lot that we keep it at.

About a month later, we brought the trailer home and pluged her in in our driveway. We have a 30amp on the house (for when we bring our trailer home) and plugged in the new ac unit as well to try her out. The new unit did cool but we noticed it cycled on and off alot. After some time I open up the unit from inside the camper and noticed that they didn't even frame out the hole that was made to install it(there was no vent in the bedroom where we had it put in so they had to make an opening in the roof for it). The actually used scrap 2by4's to hold up the the roof. Also, the top unit wasn't even connected to the bottom unit allowing cold air to be suck back into the unit causing it to cycle on and off. Nothing was taped with and you can stick your arm all the way in the attic space all around the hole. All the insulation, plywood and aluminum trusses are visible.

I called Camping World and talked to there service manager, also emailed pictures. He was very apologetic and told me that all will be fixed. When I asked how this could have happened, he really had no answer.

Why would an AC even be put on a camper without completely framing it out first to support the weight of the unit? I'm just at a loss trying to figure out why a "reputable" dealership would even allow this type of work to be done. Oh, and I paid $1600 for this scrap wood and shotty install.

They say all will be fixed, I wonder if I should be owed anything in return. I just wonder about those people that wouldn't even know what to look for and wouldn't have caught this...
)
Bear25314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2012, 08:38 AM   #2

So yesterday I go back for them to "fix" there " install work.
We met with the Service Manager, General Manager and tech that will be working on the unit.

While waiting for everyone to get together, I asked the service manager if they had a flashlight since we will be looking into the AC unit from inside. You would have thought I asked for a lung. I knew this wasn't going to be a fun meeting. I also asked what happened, why was my trailer returned to me with the job only half completed. He told me that was an internal matter. I asked him again and he said, "I gave you your answer". Nice. So much for honesty. Hey, anyone can make a mistake right? Why not just say why?

After our flashlight arrived, me, the gen manager and the service manager all went inside. The service manager took off the AC filter and with the service tech looks up into the unit. He tells the service tech, "ok, I guess they want all this closed up". Really? "closed up". How about "framed out"! I then had to come up to them, reach into the AC unit and pull out one of those 2 by 4 scraps of wood (you can see them in one of the pictures I uploaded in my original post on this thread) and hand it to them. It wasn't even attach, just wedged up there to hold up the AC unit up.

Then I discussed with the service tech how he was going to fix this and frame it out. He was the most informative of them all, explaining the fix, what materials would be used. Very nice guy. They could take a lesson from him. I told him I was concerned about the integrity of the roof since the AC was never framed out. I asked that when I pick up the unit that I be able to go up on the roof near the AC and try it out before leaving. The Service manager said, "let's do that now, before the fix". With myself, the general manager and the tech inside, the service manager goes up on the roof and starts jumping up and down HARD all around the AC unit. You could see the unit on the inside along with the ceiling bouncing! I thought it was going to fall through! I had to yell out for him to "Stop It"! Amazing.... It's like he thinks this is all a joke or something.

They say it will all be fixed in a week. I wish I never went there in the first place. All I want is what I paid for. I don't know who the service manager thinks he is but I know I don't have to be treated this way. I do have to add that the CEO of Camping World has been in contact with me via email. He has also asked to be updated on this as it progresses and told me thathe will make sure it turns out good. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:18 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

WOW. What a horrible experience, and THANKS for sharing. We have dealt with the Holiday World (right next door to Camping World in Katy), but have only been in CW to look around in the store. I will keep your experience in mind when choosing a repair facility in the future. I have heard of a couple of really good shops in the Houston area that are not "chain store" affiliates. I hope those idiots can get your a/c and roof fixed to your satisfaction. If I were you, I'd get a hose and try to verify that the roof isn't leaking at that installation site. Good luck.

You might also post your experience on www.rvservicereviews.com

OH..I forgot to say WELCOME to the forum! (And I don't see any pics in your post.)
Old 03-03-2012, 09:41 AM   #4

Some pictures of our "install" of an additional AC in our travel trailer from Camping World oh Katy Texas. And we paid $1600 for this! Scrap wood and all.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4055641547.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	351.2 KB
ID:	18419   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1236097164.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	421.6 KB
ID:	18420  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3765709585.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	364.8 KB
ID:	18421   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-345543407.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	337.9 KB
ID:	18422  

Old 03-03-2012, 10:50 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

OMG, that's horrible. I hope they have the expertise to fix that the way it should have been done to start with.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:08 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Camping World execs - Take notice!!

Bronk
bronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:01 PM   #7

Whichever wood butcher did the initial install should have all his tools confiscated, sent to remedial training as a parking lot stop so that he can never again work on any one's camper again. Some people should be licensed to own a screwdriver and I doubt if this person could tell you which end of it you hold. As for the service "manager", I guess customer service is a word too difficult to spell let alone comprehend.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:07 PM   #8

There's always the BBS and local TV stations. Also call the AC manufacturer and asked how it should be installed. Email pics to them. There should be some installation instructions with the new unit.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:09 PM   #9

Yea. I don't know what makes me more mad, the butcher install job or the snotty, condescending attitude from their service manager. Still no answer as to why this happened in the first place. Do they do all there work like this and just hope we are dumb enough to not notice? Or maybe they just hope no one "looks under the hood" after they leave. Thank goodness it wasn't a brake job or anything like that. Does he thing I want to just hang around his place of work complaining? No, I just want a job done correctly that I paid for! Oh, and he offered me "gas money" for my troubles. Really??????
Old 03-03-2012, 01:15 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The service manager had no idea or answer but he still has a job. Go figure. You should send this to a little higher level of Camping World execs and maybe someday they'll get the message as to the level of work they do. Which is P_ _S poor. I would never take my coach there for any kind of service. JMHO
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:19 PM   #11

CEO is involved now. He says he is going to make it right. Poor guy, he's trying to improve the chain but it need to come down to the local level here. This store need to have its management understand that just giving "lip service" is not enough. Just be honest, treat your customer with integrity and respect. And remember they are actually paying for the service you provide them. Dignity and respect.
Old 03-03-2012, 03:09 PM   #12

I sometimes wonder if service managers get there by being too incompetent to be a tech.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:35 PM   #13

And the pathetic Moderators over on RV.NET closed Bears thread once, and are threatening to close it again because he is spreading the truth.

I give the CEO credit for getting involved, but the service manager and the individual that did this butcher job should be terminated immediately.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:48 PM   #14

Here is my thoughts, you may not agree but, Camping World is good for products but service??? I must say I have never had service done by CW and would never even think of it. There are so many smaller rv shops around who know what service is all about and make things right without the hassle.

Tags
install, camping