Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2015, 12:27 AM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
JMHO, but rather than spend $200k to $300k on a new MH, take that money and check out a higherer quality used MH...with the bugs worked out of it.
I thought we did that, but so far I'm into the Magna over $25,000 and I still need new tires. But then we paid about $80,000 under book too.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2015, 05:38 AM   #16

Entegra Owners Club
If you are in Atlanta - might want to check out National Indoor RV Center near there. They have several different manufacturers to look at. Excellent service and they are now turning out to be an Entegra preferred dealership. Might want to look at an Aspire 44B that is in your price range. And I do know they have several year old units being traded in for the new 2016's so, there maybe some really good deals on Anthems or Cornerstones.
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 08:15 AM   #17

With that budget you have considerable flexibility. Myself I would look at maybe a used foretravel, Newell, or Bluebird. We didn't have that kind of a budget when we went full time over 5yrs. ago. We settled for a 2000 Newmar Dutch Star diesel because we wanted to pay cash so we wouldn't have any debts. It's been a hoot ever since, and we wouldn't change a thing. There are a boatload of good used units that will save you thousands. If your antsy about a used one, you can always get an extended warranty to cover it. But if you're careful you can find an outstanding full time coach. And with the money you save, you can always remodel the inside anyway you want. We did ours that pretty much reflects what you're looking for. We put in two LaZboy recliners across from a Samsung 42" HDTV that's mounted on a lift in it's own cabinet that sits behind the loveseat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	#2.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	292.6 KB
ID:	107842   Click image for larger version

Name:	#3.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	247.0 KB
ID:	107843  

Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 10:36 AM   #18

OP - Yep, it's a crap shoot on whether or not you can find a good salesman in your area that has the products you want to inspect. Good salesman do exists, and can be a real value in the search for a coach.

You might post a separate thread asking for recommendations for salesman within your region. IMO, a drive of up to 4 hours or more, is worth it to work with a good salesman.

You stated some needs, and some makers and models you're interested in. And of course it's your money to spend where you want. But, I will also suggest taking that budget and dropping years to obtain the highest quality coach that you can find. If you retain $25-25K of budget, you could then have modifications made to your personal desire. IMO, a better quality coach, say 5-10 years old, will still be a better coach 5 years out (age 10-15) then a new coach of lesser quality today. If a warranty is important to you, use some of your budget to by an extended warranty.

Bluebird/Wanderlodge
Country Coach - Allure/Intrigue/Magna/Affinity
Foretravel - U270 and up, with I feel the sweet spot being the U320
Travel Supreme
American Coach
Monaco - Dynasty/Executive/Signature (And the HR equivalent)
Beaver - Patriot Thunder and Marquis
Prevost - Marathon/Other
Newmar - Mountain Aire/Essex
And others...

IMO, also buy a coach with a bigger block engine. At 40', a bigger engine does not work as hard as a mid size block (Cummins ISL/CAT C9), has superior braking horsepower with 2 or 3 Stage Jake Compression (or on Foretravel, Retarder - a nice thing to have) - and usually bring in the same, or sometimes better MPG then the smaller engines working harder to move that 40' coach!

The other nice thing about buying an older higher end coach, is that depreciation hit will not be as bad going forward. Yes, they'll still drop, but not at the going over the cliff levels of driving a new coach off of the lot!

Best of luck to you on this. It's run process, and it is all about what the two of you want, not us!!

Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 10:54 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodosgood View Post
I looked again at the Tiffin website and I found 3 Phaeton models that have a couch across from the TV, but still at an angle (36GH -Queen bed, 42LH, and 44OH). Ideally, we would prefer 2 recliners or 2 theater seats directly across from the TV and a lot of MHs have a couch only or a couch with 1 recliner. Nothing against couches, but we like the higher backs and support of recliners.
That is one of the reasons we selected the Tour. The L shaped lounge has power recliners (2) and a very tall back. Both Janet and I are long in the back.

The tour is a bit longer than you are looking for but drives well, has a shorter wheelbase than most 40' with the tag dumped so is very maneuverable. I just checked. The Tour wheelbase is 3" longer than the 40R and 16" longer than the 38P WBGO's,