Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-16-2012, 08:26 AM   #1
Shopping for a New (Used) Motor Home

So as I previously posted on another thread, I was very close to purchasing a 2007 Georgie Boy Landeau 33ft. with 10,000 miles on it from Colton RV in Wheatfield, NY (stones throw from Niagara Falls). I initially had 2 visists with them for a total time spent around 4-41/2 hours, always being aware of scheduling my visits and explaining what I was looking to accomplish on each visit. On the second visit, I told the salesman that if my inspection went well, I would like to get "ball park" pricing on the purchase of the GB along with my trade-in 2000 Allegro 31WB. My wife was out of town and I said upfront I would not make a final decision with out her. After spending around 2 1/2-3 hours with the salesman go over every aspect of the GB we went into his office to ball park where I would be on purchase "my rig and how much?". Salesman says lets to "retail to retail". He makes a round about offer of my rig and $30,000 for the GB (also was looking at a 2007 Itasca Sunrise 33ft. with 34,500 miles on it) and $50,000 and my rig for the Itasca, with adding "I can probably go a couple of thousand less". Great! Now I have working numbers to discuss with my wife. I tell the salesman I am sure I can come back the next Saturday with my wife and we will have a decision by then. In comes the salesmanager to hammer me to make a choice between the GB and Itasca and to make a deal that moment. I very nicely re-stated that I would not do that with out my wife, she will own it too and drive it by herself. So, the following week I kept my word, made an appoinment to come out and look at both rigs (though we were leaning to the GB). First off, they moved the Itasca to another facility telling us "they have a deal on it" (they didn't, its out front on the highway with a sale sign on it $5,000 less than they were pushing it on me). Ok, so they smoked us out on what we were interested in, fine. Take the GB for a test drive, both DW and I, go over all features etc. for my wife, both the salesman and I. Ok, lets go in and make a deal for it. Salesman asks "Cash or Finance", and we say finance. He starts down the path of "Monthly Payments etc." and I tell him I have that already worked out, lets get right to the price. He asks for me to make an offer, so I write down and sign (with credit card)my Allegro and $24,000 (with thought hoping to get it for $28,000, basing it on the previous weeks ball parking figures). He comes back with my rig and $39,000! I ask him "What happened to my rig and $30,000 he mentiond last week?", his response "I never said that, we never discuseed price! I showed him the notes I made from all previous visits with his "my rig 30K/50K offers" and he goes to his computer and pulls up NADA and says look! thats all your rig is worth, again denying that he threw out prices at me. I told him he low balled me the previous visit to get me back in with my wife. She stands up and says I'm outa here, (she does not like confrontation, but also when we went into the salesman office a 1:50PM we told him we had till 2:30 to wrap everthing up, it was our granddaughter's first birthday party). So we left, dissappointed that all the time and effort put in went for naught.

An update, last Sunday we go to Camping World in Rochester, NY to look at a 2007 Damon Challenger 348 I believe. Very nice coach, in great shape except for the roadside rear fiberglass bumper being smashed/cracked. Asking $73,900. I figure new this rig was around 105K. Salesman calls and I ask him how they can expect 70% of the new value of the Damon with having probably a couple of thousand dollars body damage!

Our quest continues, sorry for the long thread, but the RV dealers in the Western New York State area just seem to be rideculous in what they are asking for for used motorhomes.

vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2012, 09:04 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As learned many years ago, everything that gets sold by a dealer is the greatest thing going, once off the lot then things change, try to sell it back to them and see how the price changes and how it's not such a good rig. for one reason or another. With the season just getting started, you'll have the pricing on the up side, sad but true. Keep looking and good luck. [Get everything in writing]

Bruce & Nancy
FMCA F280542
2004 Bounder 35E
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:15 AM   #3
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Take your time looking, which is probably hard to do as want to get one in your possesion I'm sure. There should be plenty of rigs available and I wouldn't be afraid of looking at something by owner rather than a dealer. We bought our first coach from an owner and were very happy with it. Good Luck in your search and hope you find something soon.
Have to remember about a salesman "if hips lips are moving he's probably lying as well".
Steve & Sally / HiTee & Hudson Our Little Poms / Heidi & Houston Forever in our Hearts
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22 / 05 PT Vert
Michigan (Summer) Florida (Winter)
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:16 AM   #4
Just food for thought. Consider widening your search geographically. You are looking used so your only warranty will be a very short dealer based one. Generally dealers are very poor yet expensive places for PM type service. Your are almost always better off with an independent or truck type service center. We traveled to Florida for ours and it worked out great.
Steve Ownby
Full time since 2007
2003 Monaco Signature
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:12 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I dint even read all that....

A salesmans first job is to get you there.
His second is to close a deal.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:00 PM   #6
Keep looking and do not give up.

In my quest for a lightly used class B, I initially went to the dealers as well.

What I found were burnt out units at prices well above (30-70%) the NADA guide.

Try to search through owners groups/clubs for the unit you are interested in, and while some may list them as if they were made of gold, others are more realistic and you could find a great deal.

For reference, try : http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/used_rvs_for_sale.htm

Best of luck..............Rob
Roadtrek 170 Popular
MAU MAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:31 PM   #7
Mau Mau, Thanks for the link to PPl in Texas. I am familiar with them. The initial reason I went to local dealers is that I thought that it might be easier (hahahah!) because of having to trade my rig in. I should of known better, especially with Colton RV in No. Tonawanda, NY because I was warned by my brother in law and a camping (go figure) acquaintance about their pricing practices. The hunt continues.

vincee is offline   Reply With Quote