Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2016, 02:11 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Shopping List before first camping trip

My wife and I have just ordered a new Minnie Winnie 25B and want to make a shopping list so we are prepared for our first few camping trips.
We do a lot of tent camping so we are familiar with basic camping items. What I want to make sure of is that we have all the important RV specific items.

The only things that come to mind are:
Lego leveling blocks
Power surge protector (portable initially - brand recommendations?)
Water pressure regulator (brand recommendations?)
Basic tools including tire pressure guage (recommendation for one that works on inside dually tires?)

I'm sure there are a few other items but I don't want to buy a bunch of items that never get used.

Thanks

I'm looking for items that are more safety related that folks never leave home without.
Vtwin996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2016, 02:42 PM   #2

Your list shouldn't be too long, you're not climbing Everest.

Surge Protector: Progressive Industries. If the budget allows I'd recommend and EMS unit, but the standard portable surge protector is fine.
Water regulator: Valterra or Watts.

Tools: A bit driver to tighten things as they come loose. A portable electric air pump to top off the tires, and fill up your rafts and beach balls. Don't forget the bottle opener. You could carry a whole tool box, replete with hammers, sockets, ratchets, wrenches, saw, drill, etc.; but hopefully you won't need to be doing that kind of work while camping. If you have a spare tire then it would be good to have the equipment available to change it, otherwise I would simply recommend a good roadside assistance program.

Other essential items: Sewer hose, fresh water hose, and separate hose for flushing black tank, if the coach has a black tank flush option. Marshmallows, Hershey bars, and graham crackers, skewers.

edit: almost forgot the most important tool: Duct Tape. That is the one thing I certainly don't leave home without.
Scatterbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 03:02 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Read this thread.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f92/top-1...rv-300635.html

jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 03:05 PM   #4

You might want (in addition to the above):
Water pressure regulator
Torque wrench to check your trailer's lug nuts.
I recommend the Andersen Levelers instead of the blocks. Much easier and faster way to level side to side.
You might want a 30 or 50 amp extension cord, depending on what your trailer needs.
A bucket—you might be surprised how handy these are.
A good cordless drill with the appropriate socket for your stabilizer jacks, assuming they aren't electric.
An electric tongue jack if your trailer didn't come with one.
Max Air vent covers.
parkerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 03:23 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
For the first trip, don't buy anything but an adjustable water pressure regulator (not needed for tank fill, BTW), the surge protector for shore power, a good sewer hose and disposable rubber or nitrile gloves (Harbor Freight has some heavy gauge gloves that come up the wrist a bit that I use and they are kinda inexpensive there), and bring some of your tent camping gear that was useful: a lantern, plates and silverware (plastic I hope, less weight to use fuel on to get moving ), etc.

That's it. You can go grocery shopping if you need to before you leave, or on the way, it doesn't matter as long as the fridge is cold when you put the groceries in there. Also, it's perfectly OK to run the fridge on propane while driving. It's designed for that. If you level the rig for camping to the floor of the freezer, then your fridge will run the most efficiently it can, especially if on propane while parked.

But most of all, HAVE FUN!!!
Old 07-29-2016, 03:30 PM   #6

Wine! For Gods sakes don't forget the wine!
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 03:36 PM   #7

I don't know if it is useful to your RV but I brought one of those drive on spare tire changes. Haven't tried it yet but if it don't have to jack up my 5 wheel great!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
TDroma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 03:40 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Bug away spray for your body
Stuff to keep ants out of the RV
Sun screen
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 03:55 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
Wine! For Gods sakes don't forget the wine!
A couple years ago we found a wine we both like, bought two cases of it. Now, after the liver transplant (cancer), she can't drink AT ALL. We've given most of it away all ready!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 03:58 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtwin996 View Post
... tire pressure guage (recommendation for one that works on inside dually tires?)
For the dually tire gauge, get one that has a straight dual head that looks like this one:
https://amzn.com/B000COMXI6

Most dual tire set ups will be much easier to check with the straight dual head.
Old 07-29-2016, 08:05 PM   #11

two fresh water hoses and a good long extension cord. i went to a site and the water and Elec set up was pretty far away. could not get TT close enough to connect up.
i was only 20 mins from home . so i could go get the things i needed. now they are two of the tools i carry.
nomad95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 08:44 PM   #12
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Surge protector---Progressive Industries

Replace the cheap fire extinguishers with large/good ones

Camp with it a few times and you'll know what you need, and what would just be a waste of money.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 09:34 PM   #13
EV2

Highly recommend one or two of the plastic reflector safety triangles just in case you would have to stop on the roadway.
EV2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping