Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2010, 08:06 PM   #1

Shore Hook-Up Costs

Not sure where to post this. My sweet wife asked me today about the cost of hooking up to electric and water at friends houses. She would like an idea of how much we are adding to their utility bills.

I know it depends on what we are running, or trying to run, but let's assume we are hooked up to a 15/20 amp plug and we are just keeping our fridge and house lights going and taking showers, etc. Any heating or cooling is being handled by on-board systems.

Any ideas on how the electric/water bill for our presence would increase?

(don't get me wrong, I think they should just be glad we are there, blessing them with our presence, but............she did ask)

Happy New Year

Don
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2010, 08:16 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
We use 850 Kilowatt Hours for 20 days in the Florida Keys, that is both airs on all the time, 3 loads of wash/dry per day, hot water heater on all the time, refer, no ice-maker, and normal TV and computers. In the Keys that equates to $156.00.

A 20 amp connection only running the charger/inverter to charge the batteries for the inverter and the refer is not going to be much. Probably about $2-$3/day at the most.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:19 PM   #3

I'm sure this is going to be a hard question to answer. One campground I was in said if you pay the monthly camping fee and pay your own electricity it can run anywhere from $40-$100 per month. But when we camp there by the day, they add $4/day extra for the electricity. But then we are on 50 amp and can run heat pumps or basement air conditioner along with electric water heater. I'm sure the amount of water you could use wouldn't amount to much but this still doesn't answer your electric question. Don't have any suggestion for something fair to both you and your host.

Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:26 PM   #4

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

In Yuma Az staying for 1 month (Feb) in 2007&2008 the bill was about $65.00. Lights, water heater, occasional heat/Air, microwave, TV's, and etc.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:31 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If its a true friend... the cost of a nice dinner and a few bottles of wine will cover it.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:49 PM   #6

The average U.S. residential power tariff will run between $0.035/kWh and $0.25/kWh depending on your location and the utility. I'd offer a bottle of wine and call it a day, but that's just me.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:00 PM   #7

Here where I fulltime. We get the 1st $50 of elect. free. Over that we pay for. I have 2 1500 watt elect heaters. when I run just them with normal other things. I would run over the limit by about $60. Running gas furnace and limmiting elect heat I went over by $7 this month. I'm trying to hit the $ 50 limit with just a dollar over. So using my numbers your using between 1.50 and 2.00 a day. BTW these are California KW. Running gas heat I go thru a 30# bottle in about 15 days. So the cost either way is about the same. Don't even ask me about summer cooling bill here in the Mojave Desert.
"I won't be wronged I won't be insulted I won't be layed a hand on. I don't do these things to other people. And I require the same from them." (John Bernard Books) John Wayne The Shootist his last Movie.
CorsairIIAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:07 PM   #8

Jim,
850kw= 156.00 in Fl My usage last month was
485kw= 57.15

And I thought our price was high.

My stick and brick elect last month was 10.00. But I was only there for one 3 day weekend. And I heat it mostly with wood stove then with a little gas furnace.
"I won't be wronged I won't be insulted I won't be layed a hand on. I don't do these things to other people. And I require the same from them." (John Bernard Books) John Wayne The Shootist his last Movie.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:23 PM   #9

When we have stayed at campgrounds that charge a base fee plus electric such as the Escapees parks, we have found that our usage is a little over $2/day. YMMV.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:37 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Buy one of these and you'll know the electrical spot on.
  • Shows the operating costs of your household appliances
  • Accurate within 0.2%
  • Calculates cost and forecasts by week, month and year
  • Displays eight critical units of measure on the large LCD display
  • Built-in battery backup
Amazon.com: P3 International P4460 Kill A Watt EZ Electricity Usage Monitor: Electronics
About $38.00

Dick
Old 01-03-2010, 09:43 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Our sticks and bricks when we are home in the summer is $450.00/month! With all the taxes and surcharges we pay about $0.165/Killowatt Hours
Old 01-03-2010, 10:13 PM   #12

Jim,
Sticks and bricks used 76 KW last month. 10.00 bill equalls .1315 per kw hour. here in California.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:53 AM   #13

jim, are you taking in laundry? 3 loads a day lol!!!! jim
beaverjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:40 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Those of you who suggest that giving a bottle of wine and calling it a deal, are really off base. If the family don't drink wine, they get nothing. We pay .18 cents/kw hr. here in the RGV in Mission Tx. this winter. Before we knew that we were running things as though we were at home or in a park that don't charge for elec. Now we turn the electric hot water heater off and run the gas only when needed. As said before offer to take them out for a nice dinner and forget the wine unless they do indeed drink wine.