Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2009, 08:13 PM   #1

Shotgun goes to Canada

This is my third trip to Alaska and I have yet to find an RV route that bypasses British Columbia. Not that I am attempting to avoid BC. In fact BC in many ways has been the better part of the trips. But...

The first two trips were void of firearms as I had been warned numerous times... no no! This time I am taking a shotgun. And here is how:

I went online to the RCMP web site and cruised until I found the links.
The main RCMP page

Fact Sheet, "I am a gun user entering Canada"

And this quoted from the publication http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...-eng.html#P002

"Non-restricted firearms include:

* semi-automatic rifles and shotguns with barrels that are at least 470 mm (18.5 inches) long, and do not otherwise fall into a restricted or prohibited category; and
* single-shot or manual repeating rifles and shotguns of any length, as long as they are not designed or adapted to be fired when reduced to a length of less than 660 mm (26 inches) by folding, telescoping or other means.

Restricted firearms include:

* most handguns;
* semi-automatic rifles and shotguns that are capable of discharging centre-fire ammunition, have barrels between 105 mm (4.14 inches) and 470 mm (18.5 inches) long, and are not otherwise prohibited;
* firearms designed or adapted to be fired when reduced to a length of less than 660 mm (26 inches) by folding, telescoping or other means; and
* firearms restricted by regulations.

Prohibited firearms include:

* handguns with barrels less than or equal to 105 mm (4.14 inches) long;
* handguns designed or adapted to discharge a 25 or 32-calibre cartridge;
* firearms adapted from rifles or shotguns by sawing, cutting or any other alteration, that, when adapted in this way, are less than 660 mm (26 inches) long or have a barrel that is less than 457 mm (18.5 inches) long;
* automatic firearms, whether or not altered to fire in the manner of a semi-automatic firearm; and
* firearms prohibited by regulations."

My 12 gauge pump is OK. When I talked to the RCMP by phone she absolutely convinced me that it was ok to bring a shotgun... she wanted to know which Province I was going through with the shotgun and I said BC and she said download and fill out this forum and declare with it at the border. And I have done so. Although I have not gotten to the border yet.

So it MAY be different for different Provinces... all I know is I am probably clear through BC on my Alaska trip.

BUT!!!!

The actual last word is at the border crossing. After you present your declaration paperwork to the officer he or she may or may not allow your entry with the firearm. (I have gotten this info from very reliable friends in BC... not from the RCMP) It is "up to he or she" to allow you though. They want to know why you are bringing a deadly wepaon into their province...and this is where I don't blame them at all because if you answer that you are carrying it for "personal protection" that could be all he or she needs to deny you entry. They don't want people in Canada carrying in weapons to protect them from other people in Canada.

I on the other hand truthfully want to carry this scatter gun on my shoulder -- when I move deep into the outback of Prince of Wales Island -- as a bang bang to scare wildlife away should I feel threatened. I am not thinking of killing a bear but I am thinking I would feel better with this noisemaker on my shoulder. A noise maker that could serve, as a last resort, as well... a last resort.

I hope this post edifies and is accurate. I will tell you when I get to BC. But one thing I think is there may be a lot of misinformation about Canada and guns.

Ron
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2009, 07:08 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

We took a shotgun into Canada several years ago for protection from wildlife when fishing in the back country. The procedure is as you described back then too.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 02:31 PM   #3

I've taken shotguns into Canada many times for Goose hunting. the forms and procedure are as described. What was left out is there is a $50 fee.
Rainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:07 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow View Post
I've taken shotguns into Canada many times for Goose hunting. the forms and procedure are as described. What was left out is there is a $50 fee.
Someone else said the same thing. I'll let you know when I get there Sunday. Follow along to Alaska on the blog if you like.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahron View Post
I hope this post edifies and is accurate. I will tell you when I get to BC. But one thing I think is there may be a lot of misinformation about Canada and guns.

Ron
The procedures you describe sound pretty accurate to me and do reflect the rules as I understand them. The really, really big issue here is handguns - they are an absolute no, no in Canada. A visitor here to Victoria last year spent 30 days in jail for trying to bring a handgun across the border - and, he was very lucky, it could have been a lot worse for him.

It's a different universe here from the U.S. with respect to handguns. I'm 65 and in my entire life I've never met anyone here who actually owns a handgun - never! That includes my family, friends and the hundreds of acquaintances I've had during my lifetime.

I've never had the occasion to ever think about, or actually wish I had a gun either. It's just not an issue I ever think about.

I realize, however, that in the U.S. the culture is completely different. It is probably one of the only stark difference in cultures between our countries. I say "each to his own" as it seems to be working o.k. for both of us.
rick_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 10:35 PM   #6

we have traveled the last four years through canada mainly bc and the yukon with shotgun and rifles and never a problem. i have the paperwork filled out before i get there but not signed. so just have a good time. i tell them i am going hunting at the other end in usa.
mcgillagorilla is offline   Reply With Quote