Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2016, 06:15 PM   #1

Should I have a ladder installed?

2017 Jayco Precept 31UL class A gas does not have a ladder. Should I have one installed?
Chuck1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2016, 06:28 PM   #2

Easiest way to access the roof for cleaning etc, beats carrying one loose.

BUT the RV units do have a low weight rating 175>200 lbs. in most cases.
Old 09-14-2016, 08:01 PM   #3

I have a mounted ladder but almost never use it. Do not trust it and it is a bit of a pain to climb or get down from.

i carry something like this and use it often to get up top and clean solar panels and what not.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/14971895?...&wl13=&veh=sem
jbrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 08:45 PM   #4

A ladder is definitely a necessity - either attached to the RV or freestanding. The roof should always be checked for caulking and regular maintenance of washing.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 08:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrv View Post
I have a mounted ladder but almost never use it. Do not trust it and it is a bit of a pain to climb or get down from.

i carry something like this and use it often to get up top and clean solar panels and what not.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/14971895?...&wl13=&veh=sem
Climbing the RV's OEM ladder is very inconvenient for me, navigating from the roof back onto the ladder is downright dangerous for this old man.
I've carried a 17' Costco folding ladder since '05. I would remove the OEM ladder if it were not for the holes in the rear cap and roof to repair.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 06:30 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
A ladder is definitely a necessity - either attached to the RV or freestanding. The roof should always be checked for caulking and regular maintenance of washing.
Good advice. Plus, we camp under trees, and I always check the top for limbs, pine cones, etc prior to pulling the slides in.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 06:40 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
It depends partly on your body size and ability to get up there, whether you will do the necessary roof maintenance and repairs or someone else will, and what you like to carry with you.

If you are young enough and able enough to get up on the roof, and you weigh <200 lbs, and you prefer not to have to carry an additional ladder with you or store one at your garage, then go ahead and put one on!

If any of those factors are not true, then just carry one instead, or don't even bother if you'll never get up there personally anyway.

I have a ladder on mine, and use it a couple of times per year to inspect, repair, and clean the roof. I also use it to reach the upper/rear of the RV sometimes when washing or waxing. It's handy for that, and I'm glad that I have it. Having said that, it's a bit of a P.I.T.A. to wax between the rungs of the ladder, the ladder itself is not as easy to keep clean (diesel tar tends to stick on the aluminum), and I don't personally like the way ladders look on the back of RVs.

Incidentally, my ladder has an upper fixed-mounted section, plus a lower section that you leave at home. I never bring that lower section with me, but I do have a folding ladder that I bring with me. With 4 years of RV use, I have never needed to access the roof while camping. I use the folding A-frame ladder for cleaning the front windshield occasionally, but I really don't use the rear-mounted ladder much.

I see guys loading up their RV ladders with other ladders, lawn chairs, and bikes. I don't like this plan because I suspect that when they go bouncing down the road, or hit a big bump, the force on the ladder from those items could exceed the capability of the attachment points on the fiberglass. I doubt that the ladder would punch through or anything like that, but I'd be willing to bet the likelihood of spider-web cracks in the fiberglass is higher.
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 08:45 AM   #8

At 31 feet I am going to guess that you are not a full timer and still have a house. Therefore, I say leave the repairs, maintenance and cleaning of the roof go until you get home. Enjoy your travels.

You can always rent a ladder while on the road if you feel the need to stand on your roof.
JoeSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 08:49 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
NO, don't have one installed... ladders are not designed to be used straight up. They are dangerous to climb and even worse to get off the roof onto them!

Buy a collapsing ladder (two foot taller than your rv) that goes in the basement and can be used for many more things than just getting on the roof.
Old 09-15-2016, 11:49 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Like others have said, it depends. I have no problem climbing up or down the ladder on the back of my coach, except for that long first step. I climbed antennas in the Air Force and have used a vertical ladder up to 240 feet. Of course we had climbing gear so weren't worried about falling off. I think I'd put one on the coach if it didn't already have one.
Old 09-16-2016, 02:36 PM   #11

Vertical RV ladders have their own dangers. Extension ladders are also dangerous if not used properly. An old firemans quick way to safely lay a ladder is to use your body; lean the ladder against the wall, then slide the bottom to/from the wall until your fingertips just touch the ladder when your toes are against the bottom of the ladder.
The sets the ladder at a safe angle for climbing. A humans height and arm length are almost the same ratio for everyone.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 12:31 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
I've traveled over 100K in this motorhome and several thousand is previous motorhomes. Only once had a need to get on top of the RV during all those miles and probably could have borrowed a ladder at that point. I don't like the installed ladders and at home use a "leaning" ladder to look at or get onto the roof.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install, led