Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-22-2014, 10:20 AM   #1
Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Should we buy at a rally??

Hey All,

I am making up our schedule for the spring and summer and knowing that we are looking at purchasing a new RV...my question is this..??? Should we purchase a new RV at a rally? We have been to a number of them and the salespeople seem to be making lots of deals.

Have any of you had good luck purchasing at a rally or should I travel to a dealership. I have not found a dealer in the Northeast that has any type of inventory that I can explore.

We will probably settle on a Revolution or a Tiffin. I am intrigued by a front kitchen and if we are living in the RV for 6 months or so, I would love to have a fireplace. We love it in the stick and brick home. I also need to have a ceiling fan in the bedroom. I hate using AC unless I have to and the fan is just enough.

I know I am being very picky, but we are selling our home, our businesses, and deciding what we need for the next phase of our life. I just need some guidance as to how to purchase the next RV. We have never purchased a new RV. We have always purchased pre-enjoyed. But now...we have a specific wish list and I do not think that we can have this fulfilled unless we shop new.

As I said, we live in the Northeast and there are precious few dealerships in our neck of the woods. Should we travel south to find good bargains? Should we buy at rallies?

I need your advice.

Faith and Bob

Faith and Bob, Bitsy the Papillon and Bosco the Chi-weenie....RIP Truffles
2005 Revolution LE - 2008 Honda CRV Toad
Northern Massachusetts and the rest of the Country.
fansill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2014, 10:30 AM   #2
You can talk to Tiffin and other Mfgs and ask if they will put those in a "custom" MH. Rallies are good due to discounts but when I went to Hershey they were asking 100K for an Airstream and my thinking was, "Go to AZ, buy an older one and totally rebuild it for 25 K. HMM whilst stroking my Duck Beard!! There are a couple of MH customizing companies in the US that will redo a used one to your specs. Have seen them mentioned on this and other Forum. You can go online and shop dealers but you need to talk one-one with any dealer. Best buys we found, AZ, FL and TX.

Passin Thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 10:42 AM   #3
IMO RV shows are ONLY a great way to see many brands and features within a short walk from each other. No matter what the dealer sez, you are NOT going to get a better deal at a show. Take your time and make sure you spend your hard earned money on what you really want.
2010 Allegro RED 36 QSA
GMC Envoy 4x4
SW Michigan to Alaska in 2015
okgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 10:58 AM   #4
Buying at a rally: sometimes yes and sometimes no. We purchased our first motorhome at the FMCA rally in Indy and got a good deal as we worked with two Tiffin dealers and a Winabago dealer all right there. When we purchased our second MH we also went to a rally in Syracuse but couldn't get the deal we thought we should get. Called up the dealer where we first baught and they beat the price by better that 10K.
So.. certainly negotiate your deal at the rally and see what you can do.
Don't discount a mid kitchen, our choice. By having the living area up front the captain and nav chairs turn around and become part of that area instead of part of the kitchen. We can seat seven without bringing out a kitchen chair.
Many brands now offer bedroom ceiling fans as options. One last comment, if heated floors are an option on your choice by all means get them. Well worth what ever they charge.
Paul, Kathy, and Tux a 4 month Mini Schnauzer
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42 LH, 2013 Honda CRV
"When the time comes to look back, make sure you'll like what you see"
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:47 PM   #5
Fleetwood Owners Club
Don't know if you remember us but we ran into you at the Goshen Rally
We have the 2011 AC Revolution that we got at the Du Quoin rally. Don't believe anyone if they try to tell you that you can't get a GREAT deal at a rally! If you are good at negotiating you have a very good chance to come out very good, stick to your guns and by the time the rally is over you have a high probability of getting the deal best for you!
And yes, we are still very, very satisfied with our 42W
Ron K
2011 American Coach Revolution 42W
Honda CRV toad
RonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:30 PM   #6
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
No matter where you go, get comparison prices
from other dealers with your I-Pad or laptop and cell phone.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 04:49 AM   #7
Ford Super Duty Owner
We are thinking of doing the same thing early next year of selling the S&B and upgrading to a bigger motorhome. My intentions are to check with my local Tiffin dealers to get quotes on what I want and then hit the big Tampa RV show. Unless something new comes out I already know what model we want.

I have not been to any Rally's yet and did not know they have things to look at.
Raymond, Dee Dee and Sophie (Yorkie)
2013 Tiffin Allegro 31SA
2016 Chevrolet Equinox - V6 - AWD
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:27 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
It is easy to get dazzled by the "wow" at shows as the many manufacturers have their best there (and Hershey is a great show). But if you have done your homework ad due diligence on what you want and what you can afford, there is no reason you can't go to a show and make a good deal on a coach. #1 - recognize they are there to sell, not show, and #2 - that can result in good numbers, #3 - the special show price may be special but it is not the lowest they'll sell for, and #4 - there are probably people taken for a ride because they haven't done their homework.

I bought at the Hershey show in Sep 2012. I have since talked to several that have saved up to 3k on a $300k+ price. Yes I could have done a little better, but they earned those deals by patiently negotiating over a month or two's time. Guess I wasn't that patient, but feel I still did OK. Good luck in your search.
Dave and Beth
2015 Cornerstone 45J
Ford F-150 and 2016 Polaris Razor
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:51 AM   #9
That was actually my point about Rallies. At Hershey they marked up the Airstream to 100K then discounted it. Always play it like a game, be ready to walk away and act like you will at any time. Have 3 deals you are working on, utilize your wife or a close freind who can step in with questions and Give your banker a chance to say no! Study, used, retail and wholesale prices. I go on EBAY and RV sites all the time and look at sales. Being informed is the best ammo you can have when you are the buyer.
Passin Thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:54 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
Newmar Owners Club
You sound like you're planning on going full time. If you're not, buying at a show typically leaves you without a dealership for repair work. You'll certainly find one that honors your warranty, but will put you at the back of the list since you didn't buy from them. This isn't a huge issue, but should be a consideration.

On the other hand, buying a coach is not like it used to be. Before the recession, dealers had loads of coaches on their lots to choose from. Now they carry very few because the economy won't support it. So, finding a coach is more difficult unless you want to order one. A show may be the best place to get one without ordering.

We bought a coach years ago and I negotiated what I thought was a good deal. We went to a show a month later and our same coach..."show price"....was $5K higher on a $45,000.00 price. My opinion is they're typically more expensive at a show.
Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:46 AM   #11
One tactic some use is a bid system. List everything in detail you want in your prospective MH. Email that list to dealers carrying your prospective brands/models requesting their best price, with the notation the lowest price is where you will buy-regardless of where in the lower 48 they are located.
When we were MH shopping I realized the best deals are usually in the snowbird states, but don't rule-out anything.
In my opinion, the best MH mfgrs. to deal with for customization is Tiffin, and Country Coach, since they are privately-owned companies they only answer to themselves.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:11 AM   #12
Fansill, one has to remember that all Rallys are not the same. YOU must be dillegent and do your research and make your decision BEFORE you go to the Rally. As Ronk said above you can get a great deal. There are brand specific rallys and this is where I beleive this is where the deals might be better. I have friends that got smoking deals on Fleetwood mh at Fleetwood rallys. Not only dealer incentives but factory incentives as well! You cannot do this as well at a dealer. If you have dealer prices on a specific brand and floorpplan isn't it smart to compare prices at a rally?
American Tradition 42R-Cadillac SRX Blue Ox Koni 5050XL MCD Scangauge D Samsung rf197
Fulltime since 2012
336muffin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:35 PM   #13
When shopping for a new 5th wheel several years ago, I went to the local RV show to see all the "show specials". Found one that I was intrigued with and the salesman told me all about the special RV show discount price and I had to buy it during the show to get that price. Went home and checked their website and their every day price on the same 5ver was a couple of thousand dollars cheaper than their "get it now show price".
That being said, I did buy a new 2008 Jayco Designer at an RV show and negotiated a good price on it.
The key is to do your research ahead of time so you know for sure when/if you're getting a good price.
2005 Newmar Dutch Star 4024
Pulling my 2012 Malibu w/Blue OX & Patriot brake unit
HicksRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:20 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Do your research ahead of time. Also know that when a dealer posts a show special price, they still leave room to negotiate. Not many people are going to walk in and pay the show special price. Most still want to negotiate so they leave room. I love the folks that say I went to an rv show and the show special was higher than I payed. Thats because they negotiated at the dealer. Obviously they didn't try to negotiate the show price because they already made their purchase! You can get the same deal at the dealer as you can the show. Most times you can do better at the shows or rallys especially if the factory reps are there. Some times they kick extra money to the dealers for show and rally sales.

2014 Fleetwood Bounder 35k
mojoracing is online now   Reply With Quote