Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2012, 05:53 PM   #15

Just saw an article about installing a cable under the awning going between the supports.He drilled and installed a couple eyebolts. Then stretched a small cable using clips. This gave him a place to hang lights that would not interfere with rolling up the awning.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2012, 10:33 PM   #16

I like the idea of the LED's under the awning rail, I'm going to stop by CW tomorrow and check it out

Dipdip I've got the same problem. We have a grab handle that should light up but doesn't, anyone got any ideas.

Both US Army Retired - Fort Lewis, WA
Cilrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:16 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Home depot has nice inexpensive rope lights. I picked up a 20 ft red/white/blue. Just plug in to outside outlet, enough light and easy to manage.
desertrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:21 AM   #18

Thor Owners Club
dipdip & cilrah....We had a 2003 Jayco Granite Ridge....it had the grab handle that looked like a lighted unit, but after removing it to check on what might've been wrong, there were no wires/bulb in place.

All, be careful placing rope lights on the ground under the coach....A friend did that....plugged into the basement (120V) laid along the ground front to back, then around the perimeter of an E-Z-Up. A storm rolled in & apparantly, the lights on the ground took a lightning hit. It cooked the lights & everything connected to that 120V circuit in the coach (Rope Lights, outside TV, Soundbar, Ice Maker, Blender, etc)

"Keep those lights off the ground" Is his motto
MuckSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:39 PM   #19

Here's a pic of our setup. Don't use the ropelights unless we're outside after dark. But the palm trees are lit up every night!!

Regards, Hamshog

Old 04-11-2012, 04:43 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cilrah View Post
Okay folks here's your chance to show off your outdoor lighting ideas.

We have a 2006 Travel Supreme Select and the only mounted outdoor lights that we have are two dock lights. These lights are bright but way too low to provide good lighting for partying at night.

I've looked at outdoor floodlights but won't even consider drilling holes and or mounting lights to the outside of the RV. We love and have been to Hawaii several times and saw some portable lighted palm trees, loved them but don't want to spend $185 just for one.

Another problem is hanging lights from the main awning. We have an automatic retracting system and don't want to have to take the lights down every time the wind picks up a little. I can't even imagine what's going to happen if a string of lights gets rolled up with the awning

So, let's see or hear about your lighting ideas, thanks.
Please see my awning mod under "new awning mod." Takes care of the anxiety of wind vs. a power awning. In an emergency, you can roll your lights up right along with the awning. And to take the lights down, you simply unclip at each end. Takes about 10 seconds.
Trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:44 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bldrbob View Post
Just saw an article about installing a cable under the awning going between the supports.He drilled and installed a couple eyebolts. Then stretched a small cable using clips. This gave him a place to hang lights that would not interfere with rolling up the awning.
Search for "new awning mod." Works like a charm!!!!
Old 04-11-2012, 04:45 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsjao View Post
I also have a power awning, feel your pain. I run a rope light down the length of the coach on the ground. And use a variety of solar lights to highlight walking areas. If I am at a park (usually state or corp) we string lights thru the trees and put out tiki lights. If we are at a park where we can't string lights, we use more solar and maybe even pull out the propane lantern....
We attached our rope lights to the frame of our TT with zip ties. Now the underside of it emits a soft blue glow at night. Looks pretty cool!!
Old 04-11-2012, 05:15 PM   #23

dipdip, not all handles are lighted, some can be some can't. Yes, most you have to pull off the coach in order to replace or add the bulb. I say most because I've only seen a few that could be changed from inside, behind it. Now a days LED's are the standard, probably all we have in the shop anymore....at least that's all we put in when we're changing or adding. check out ITC's web site http://www.itc-rv.com/products/assist-handles there handles and LED's are standard for lots of manufacturers, as well as lots of the other stuff they make.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:31 PM   #24
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I know you said you weren't interested in drilling the coach, but take a look at this. I've added this light 162C Weather Proof to my last two RV's. It provides great outdoor lighting that is powered by the coach, easy to turn on and off and mounts under the awning for use with the awning in or out.

Here is a photo....

On both of my coaches, the refer was on the passenger side. I drilled one small 1/4" hole through the wall to run the wire and drop it down the refer opening and then mounted the light. I pulled power off of the refer and ran the switch to my storage bay where I could reach in and turn it on/off.

Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote