Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2012, 12:25 PM   #1

Show us Your Outdoor Lighting

Okay folks here's your chance to show off your outdoor lighting ideas.

We have a 2006 Travel Supreme Select and the only mounted outdoor lights that we have are two dock lights. These lights are bright but way too low to provide good lighting for partying at night.

I've looked at outdoor floodlights but won't even consider drilling holes and or mounting lights to the outside of the RV. We love and have been to Hawaii several times and saw some portable lighted palm trees, loved them but don't want to spend $185 just for one.

Another problem is hanging lights from the main awning. We have an automatic retracting system and don't want to have to take the lights down every time the wind picks up a little. I can't even imagine what's going to happen if a string of lights gets rolled up with the awning

So, let's see or hear about your lighting ideas, thanks.

Both US Army Retired - Fort Lewis, WA
Cilrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2012, 01:10 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Sorry, no outdoor lights.

fred

Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 02:50 PM   #3

I also have a power awning, feel your pain. I run a rope light down the length of the coach on the ground. And use a variety of solar lights to highlight walking areas. If I am at a park (usually state or corp) we string lights thru the trees and put out tiki lights. If we are at a park where we can't string lights, we use more solar and maybe even pull out the propane lantern....
Old 04-08-2012, 04:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsjao View Post
I also have a power awning, feel your pain. I run a rope light down the length of the coach on the ground. And use a variety of solar lights to highlight walking areas. If I am at a park (usually state or corp) we string lights thru the trees and put out tiki lights. If we are at a park where we can't string lights, we use more solar and maybe even pull out the propane lantern....
I like the idea of strining lights in the trees, we have a lot of trees here. As for solar lighting ummmm..... Not gonna happen here in Washington State
Both US Army Retired - Fort Lewis, WA
Cilrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:16 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Camping World carries a LED lighting strip you can mount under the awning Very fancy can even get one with a remote control & change colors !
Old 04-08-2012, 05:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipdip
Camping World carries a LED lighting strip you can mount under the awning Very fancy can even get one with a remote control & change colors !
Where exactly do you mount it?
Old 04-08-2012, 05:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cilrah
I like the idea of strining lights in the trees, we have a lot of trees here. As for solar lighting ummmm..... Not gonna happen here in Washington State
If the park will let you --tiki lights are a great option - they even help keep the bugs away!
Old 04-08-2012, 10:07 PM   #8

KZ RV Club
Just bought some tiki yesterday at Walmart to carry with us. Got two each of a red, green and blue flame.
Normally our setup is a set of bamboo hut lights hanging from the awning and we have red led rope lights mounted under e trailer. We also carry other strings of red, white and blue ropes to hand in trees from time to time.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:50 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
I believe you mount it directly under the awning reel on the side of your coach ..It looks thin and as mentioned comes in plain white LEDs ..or you can get an upgraded kit with a remote and many colors ..I think it is a Camco product and retails ( the fancy kit ) approx $219. Saw it while waiting for CW to install Invisibrake in toad ..a 5hr , boring wait ...so I wondered through the store..
Old 04-09-2012, 01:03 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cilrah View Post
Spent the winter along Oregon & Washington Coast. Solar path lights never missed an evening. Surprising how little sun they need to make a bit of light.

On the other hand....we weren't sitting out partying in the rain & wind
Frantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:35 PM   #11

I found a spring loaded clamp on spot light at Wally World. I painted the outside Tan to match the rig. I clamp it on the side of the slide when extended. The cord hangs down the back of the slide flange and I plug it into the 110 outlet in the bay right under the slide. Some times I use a 60 what new style bulb in white and sometimes I use a yellow bug light depending on the bugs. This set up provides plenty of light for the "Party Area". However I have purchased a Scare Light from Tiffin that I plan to mount on the exterior wall between the front and rear slide. As soon as I run 12 volt to the spot (Hidden) my cabinet it will be mounted. But in the mean time, the clamp on work well, just get it as high as you can and point it where ever you like.

George
Old 04-09-2012, 01:56 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
i purchased these strips for my golf cart at first, them i ordered a set to mount under the curb side of the RV. they work great, and the blue gives a nice look. i just used some pipe strapping material to mount them.http://www.everythingcarts.com/p-111...t-kits.aspxbob
majfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:10 PM   #13

The LED's that dipdip was talking about is made/distributed by Dometic. My rep stopped by last week to show me, very cool. They are marketing them to go under the awning rail (gutter), attached to the coach. Very thin, around 1/2” and maybe 3/16” thick, can be added on or cut to the desired length. You can get them in either a white LED or multi-colored, the kit comes with a power supply that is either 12vdc or 120vac supplied and a remote (key fob style) that allows you to turn them on, dim and for the multi-color, change colors and settings.

We’ve been installing rope lighting around the perimeter of the units for years under the bays, usually set them up to turn on/off with the entry grab handle light. Started originally just running them down the patio side, then others wanted them around the entire perimeter, puts off a nice under glow.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:24 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Question to Infinity Jim... I am new to owning a motorhome.Have a clear entry grab rail outside the coach( 2004 Southwind) I suspect that it can be lighted but I have never been able to find a switch , or where there may be a bulb - Ideas? must I unscrew it from the outside and look for a bulb..Something I am loath to do as I may never get it securely re attached...