Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-19-2015, 09:09 AM   #1
Shower shade over skylight ? Tips please .

Where can I find a tinted shade for over my skylight in bathroom. I have migraines and while in bath, the skylight is very bright. Is there a shade for that ? What's it called and where do I look? And also for the bedroom window. There maybe a small blackout type shade. Where do I find one ? I have light sensitivities w/ my migraines and too much bright light sends me into waves of nausea.

Thanks for any help. ( I have a brown pillowcase clipped on the light colored curtain now.) Also any ideas on where to find a small brown curtain for rv windows? Pillow case size ?)

Bella222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2015, 11:58 AM   #2
Ok this maybe cheese but my DW needs to sleep with everything totally dark; just her needs. So we bought two solar reflector covers that are used on the entrance door of most 5e's. We put them the narrow way over the skylight over lapping each other and extending pass the light all around. WE used Velcro adhesive fasteners to hold them in place for ease of removal when showering. Works great for the bathroom skylight since they do not make covers for them of a vent type cushion that we use on the vents in the camper.

Now for your window shades on the RV windows in the bedroom my DW bought inexpensive black felt an pinned this to the underside of the header on the windows. She can roll this up and hide this behind the window header when not needed. This has worked great in our old 318SAB Cougar for her needs.

Jim W.

Jim & Jill
Sold: 2010 318SAB Cougar:New: 2016 Cedar Creek 34RL. 2008 Dodge 6.7LCummins the original 6.7L engine, w/68RFE Auto
jimcumminsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 12:09 PM   #3
iRV2 No Limits Club
Our Dutch Stars came with a blind that pulled over the skylight. Any fabric vertical blind would work. The one we had was like the day/night shades but had blackout fabric on one side.
Check Camping World's catalog as I seem to remember seeing one there.
Other home made solutions will work just as well although might take some work and need to be stored.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 01:40 PM   #4
Below is a photo of the cover I made for our skylight. It is made from white shade cloth with 4 snaps in the corners so it can be removed for cleaning or if you want more light on a cloudy day.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Skylight_0018.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	262.6 KB
ID:	91931
2015 DRV Tradition 375KPS
2015 Chevy Duramax 3500HD LTZ Dually
Full-timers...Home is where we park it.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 08:03 PM   #5
Spray-on window tint is available too.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 02:33 PM   #6
American Coach Owners Club
...or RV Vents, Fans and Vent Covers - PPL Motor Homes another sourc

I've ordered a few items from these folks...quick service.
Jan and Bob

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 06:10 PM   #7
My wife picked up one today at CW for $9.
Texmac1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 07:30 PM   #8
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Went to an upholstery shop, had 4" thick foam cut to the size of the skylight.

Fred and Bonnie
2005 Dolphin LX 6375
Abby, Ruffles & Scarlett, "The Cats"
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 08:19 PM   #9
Originally Posted by scenic route View Post
...or RV Vents, Fans and Vent Covers - PPL Motor Homes another sourc

I've ordered a few items from these folks...quick service.
I don't see any skylight covers at PPL.

suggestion: take dimensions, find an auto trim shop and have them cut a piece of vinyl and bind it. Make sure you make it big enough to bind and extend past the sides of the skylight. Attach with velcro.
Follow us at: http://joelandesta.blogspot.com/
2006 HR Endeavor 40'...2002 Corvette
2011 Forest River 20' Cargo Trailer
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 08:56 AM   #10
Newmar Owners Club
I just wanted to cut down on the heat in the shower so purchased the solar reflective cover and velcroed it up. After about a year the heat was so great that the bubble going up drooped down inverted instead! I purchased a new inside bubble from Newmar and installed it. Went to Home Depot and purchased Rust-oleum Plastic spray paint. Took it up on the roof and painted the whole dome white. It cuts way down on heat and light and has lasted the last 3 years with no problems.

Wayne H. & Nixie Miller

2006 Newmar Dutch Star 4027
Harm is offline   Reply With Quote

light, shower