Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2012, 03:54 PM   #15

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Sorry, the trouble with my old pump was two fold-
1. The brass T fitting ( winterizing feature) was too restrictive internal diameter caused pump to over heat, I guess
2. The low side latching controller (pump controller) didn't even know I had one!

Problem with my new pump-
1. I'm an idiot as I didn't remove the T fitting. Once I did that I had easy continuous flow
2. Same as #1 and the new pump required a 10 amp controller. Once I had it installed no issues.

All works well now!
Attached Images

4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2012, 04:31 AM   #16

Ron, I'm not understanding what you have there.
I still haven't installed my 4008 pump. (other fires to beat out first)
To my knowledge, power to my pump comes directly from the battery (through fuses of course) to the pump pressure switch.
Not sure what the 'controller' is that you show in your pic.
GWinger
GWinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:23 PM   #17

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWinger
Ron, I'm not understanding what you have there.
I still haven't installed my 4008 pump. (other fires to beat out first)
To my knowledge, power to my pump comes directly from the battery (through fuses of course) to the pump pressure switch.
Not sure what the 'controller' is that you show in your pic.
GWinger
GWinger, the picture is of the bad low side latching controller( otherwise known as the pump controller) the engineers did a great job hiding it. ( behind the furnace grate on the floor where you could only feel it or see it with a mirror)The one pictured is 7 amp and the new 4008 requires 10-15 amp controller for multiple switch set up. ( more than 1 water pump on/off switch). If you only have one off/on switch you can wire direct. (I have 3 switches for the pump)

If you are replacing a 2088 model pump with the 4008 then you need to buy the 10 amp controller. Pacific Rv parts has the cheapest price. http://www.pacificrvparts.com/Produc...tselect&SID=98

This picture is of the new controller. Once installed my system ran great.
Attached Images

Old 06-07-2012, 05:14 AM   #18

Ron,
Thanks for the info. I'm not aware of the controller needed for the 4008 at all. The pump I'm replacing is the "Extreme Series" with a 'Smart Sensor'. It has a 10 amp draw also. (same as the 4008)
Looks to me that the "water Pump controller" is a relay allowing for the 'switch' to be place at a far distance from the source. (being the battery) The pump usually being located considerably closer to the battery, with the current not having to travel all the way to the switch (sometimes located toward the rear of the trailer as it is with mine)and back toward the front to the pump. It would also allow use of multiple switches. (momentary)

I never thought about it before but maybe I should be checking the voltage at the pump location with the pump installed. Maybe my original pump is OK and the problem is with the relay. (controller)

If it IS the controller, I have absolutely NO idea where to locate it.
It's going to take some time to locate if that's the case.
GWinger
Old 06-07-2012, 04:54 PM   #19

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
When you start looking for it. I would begin looking behind vents, under cabinets and drawers. It is about 2x2 and 1/2 inch thick. If you had the 2088 in there before and have more than one switch, you most likely have one. Happy hunting!
Old 06-08-2012, 06:50 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Knights View Post
When you start looking for it. I would begin looking behind vents, under cabinets and drawers. It is about 2x2 and 1/2 inch thick. If you had the 2088 in there before and have more than one switch, you most likely have one. Happy hunting!
4Knights,
I have only one switch so no reason to have the 'latching' type relay. But, there COULD be a relay because of the distance between thew Battery, switch and the pump. So I'll be hooking up the pump and checking voltage soon.

I say 'soon' could be a week or more. Yesterday I finished a four-day re-roofing job and this 66 year old body needs some rest first.
I'm guessing that there never was a controller in the circuit. The 2088 pumps were/are prone to problems and many never last a year. Mine was almost 10 years old with no problems whatsoever.
But who know what I'll find.

Thanks for the tips as to where to look for the relay. This is what IRV2 is all about, isn't it? people helping people.
Thanks again,
GWinger
Old 06-08-2012, 03:32 PM   #21

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWinger
4Knights,
I have only one switch so no reason to have the 'latching' type relay. But, there COULD be a relay because of the distance between thew Battery, switch and the pump. So I'll be hooking up the pump and checking voltage soon.

I say 'soon' could be a week or more. Yesterday I finished a four-day re-roofing job and this 66 year old body needs some rest first.
I'm guessing that there never was a controller in the circuit. The 2088 pumps were/are prone to problems and many never last a year. Mine was almost 10 years old with no problems whatsoever.
But who know what I'll find.

Thanks for the tips as to where to look for the relay. This is what IRV2 is all about, isn't it? people helping people.
Thanks again,
GWinger
Sounds like a Motrin and hot bath night after doing that roof. Or------ you could drive my way and come help me put a roof on our deck. I'll even throw in a meal! You like road kill right? Saw 4 squirrels and to raccoons on the way to work this morning. .
Helping others is exactly what I like about this site!
When I spoke to the Shurflo factory they told me they quit making the 2088 model 5 years ago, so anyone selling a new one is selling one that's been on the shelf awhile.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:08 AM   #22

Sorry, I misstated the model number in my post. (#20) The "Extreme Series" pump (models 4900 &5900) are the ones that I was referring to that are prone to trouble. Those models ARE still being manufactured and sold.
Shurflo will provide you with repair parts if the unit has a 'born date' sometime after 2005. Mine was born (I think) in 2002 so I'm outta luck as far as parts are. Even though the 'model numbers' are the same (before and after 2006) they are NOT the same parts.

I'm not familiar with the 2088. It may very well have been been discontinued.

The Extreme Series" has a 10 amp draw also as well as the new 4008. That's why I say I may or may not have a controller. With only one switch, I'm betting NOT.

Going to take more Tylenol now,... Good Luck with your deck roof.
GWinger