Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-23-2012, 04:26 PM   #15

Whenever someone post a question about shutting off the water when leaving a home unattended. This picture always gets their attention.

2004 Endura 6340D
2012 Chevy Captiva toad
ronjhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2012, 04:27 PM   #16
Good advise by all. Water doesn't have to come from freezing. Washing machine hoses and supply lines do fail. Homeowners insurance may deny a claim if reasonable precautions are not taken. A flooded house is very expensive to repair. I still recommend leaving minimal heat on, but I liked the suggestions of antifreeze in the traps and turning off HW heater. Remember the washing machine trap. Use RV anti freeze. I speak from experience.

rhks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:29 AM   #17
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
That is an expense I dont miss, along with taxes, etc.
Me either.

Unfortunately after eleven great years of full timing, age is catching up with me and my wife and setting up a home base seems like a good idea while we are still healthy enough to find one and move all of our stuff from storage in NH to CO.

We decided we didn't want to do that with one or both of of us not in good shape.
Clay WA5NMR - Ex Snowbird - 1 year, Ex Full timer for 11 years - 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N Workhorse chassis. Honda Accord toad.
Clay L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:42 AM   #18
Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Yes, turn the water off...

We watch a home for someone who are "snowbirds". I check on the house every 4-5 days to water plants and make sure the heat is on. Once a month I turn the water on to fill up the toilet bowls and every two weeks to get some water to water the plants.
Jim, Diane & Robert ~ NE. OH.
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:45 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My insurance company will not pay claims for interior flooding from water heater, toilet, ice maker leaks so we shut it all off. Already had a flood or two in our house from the interior wall pipes. We live in a house that was built in 1985 and all the pipes above the floor level are made from kind of plastic crap that was recalled. Of course there is no remedy except tearing out all the plumbing and installing copper. Just had another leak last month in an interior wall. Luckily we were home and got it shut off befor the entire ground level was soaked. Getting good at fixing the leaks with a device called an alligator bite. Take care.
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:49 AM   #20
I ALWAYS turn off the main water supply even if I leave for just for three days. We're on a well and we'd probably burn up our well pump in addition to the damage cause by the water itself. I even shut off the breaker for the well and turn off the gas valve. I keep the furnace set at 55 degrees, too.
--2005 F350 Superduty Crewcab, 6.0, 4wd, short bed, 3.73 gears
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--SOLD 2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38'
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:46 PM   #21
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
If we are gonna be away for more that a couple of days in the spring and summer we leave the water on for the automatic watering system we have in the shrub and flower beds. In the fall and winter we turn off ALL water to the house. We always turn off our electric water heater circuit breaker when we're away to save on electricity.

Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:16 PM   #22
It was a very cold winter two years back and two homes in our area had bad water damage when the power was out for quite a while and water lines busted and flooded. The owners were absent and they were essentially totaled. We always turn off the water when gone for more than a day. I don't turn it off at the meter because of other outside needs but use a valve in the crawl space under the home. I can bend over and get to the valve, but plan to install a normally open 110 volt valve that I can actuate from the first floor. Much easier to use. Also turn off the water heater.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:40 PM   #23
We had a neighbor once who used his lake house only on weekends. He was so cheap they did not leave the heat on,long story short everything busted the pipes,toilets.
2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40V
Tha_Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:32 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
I turn off the water to the house, power off to the water heater, unplug tv and other electronics. I also clean out the refrigerator, turn it off and prop the doors open.
'05 Dutch Star 4015, '16 Rubicon OlllllO, & HD Ultra ElectraGlide, NKK14278L
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 06:04 PM   #25

Texas Boomers Club
We always turn off the main to the house. If something breaks, there will be little or no damage. Sprinkler has separate feed from the meter so we can leave the sprinkler system operational.

Jimmy & Tre
Katy, TX
2014 Allegro Red 38QRA
& 2014 Jeep Sahara Unlimited Toad
"Get It While You Can"
jwomack is offline   Reply With Quote