Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2012, 08:50 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Shut Off Stick House Water Valve????

This will be our third winter as snowbirds. Our wonderful neighbor comes over each week and does a walk thru our stick house to check things out. We have never shut off any of the water supply. Should be be doing that? Should we just shut the washing machine faucet? Or the whole house main supply? What is everyone else doing? We live in the country and have a shared well with five other residences. The well is not on our lot.

calico is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2012, 09:00 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When we are going to be away from the sticks & bricks I shut off the main water connection to the house. Be sure to turn off the hot water heater too.

My neighbor that keeps an eye on the house knows that I have turned off the water to the house and also knows how to turn it on if needed.

We also unplug all the electrical appliances, TV's, stereos & etc except the refrigerator and freezer.

Jon

2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:01 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
cut off anything with a vlave and hose IE toilets, sinks, washer, ice maker (be sure to lift the arm up to shut the maker off)

I was 5 mins away from t-total disaster once, had the motorhome running, ran inside for a final check to see if I left anything, got to the hall headed to the bed rooms, and squish squish ....... valve broke in one of the bathrooms, got the entire hall way and seaped into the formal dining room. Luckly the bathroom was all ceramic tile, and the foyer was split brick or it would of been worse

Needless to say walked back out got the dog (at the time only 1) shut off the motorhome and then delt with clean up
Old 12-22-2012, 09:11 PM   #4

When we had S&B, had water leak at washer hose 1 day after we got home. Dodged a bullet! When we left, water was off.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:24 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I always shur off the valve coming into my house as I also share a well with my brother next door and when we are using our coach when we leave the coach no matter for how long I shut off the water also. Cheap insurance!
Old 12-22-2012, 09:26 PM   #6

Anytime I'm going to be gone more than about 24 hours I turn off the main water supply, turn off the breakers for the water heaters, and turn off the ice maker. If anything decides to break while we're gone there'd be minimal damage.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:16 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
We have a well and are gone all winter. We just shut the pump off, and only leave power to the fridge, freezers and furnace. If you don't have control of the pump, you certainly want to shut off main water supply.

Our neigbors left their pump on one winter in their vacation home. Power went out, pipes froze and broke. In the spring they had six feet of water in the basement and the house was basically destroyed.
clyon51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:19 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshine94 View Post
Anytime I'm going to be gone more than about 24 hours I turn off the main water supply, turn off the breakers for the water heaters, and turn off the ice maker. If anything decides to break while we're gone there'd be minimal damage.
Same for me.
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:30 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
I turn the water off at the meter. Those that watch the house know how to turn it on, if needed.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:07 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Itis easy enough to shut off the water supply and drain the pipes. Also shut off and drain the water heater. You can also drain the toilets and put antifreeze in the traps. This way you can set the heat as low as you want and not worry about power outages and broken pipes.

Ken
Old 12-23-2012, 02:36 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have hot water baseboard heat and according to two repair technicians the water should not be shut off for for long periods of time.
I keep the heat set on 50 degrees and turn off everything in the house I can.

I have a wireless security system that uses the Verizon data network via FrontPoint Security to report any issues with the house . I have door and window opening sensors plus motion, flood and freeze sensors. I can check the status via the MyFrontPoint web site. I can also arm and disarm the system remotely.
The system has 24 hour battery backup and notifies FrontPoint if the hose looses power. It sends me an email also.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:03 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
We turn off main water and Hot water tank. Had ice maker hose leak and cause a small flood .
Okrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post
I have hot water baseboard heat and according to two repair technicians the water should not be shut off for for long periods of time.
I keep the heat set on 50 degrees and turn off everything in the house I can.

I have a wireless security system that uses the Verizon data network via FrontPoint Security to report any issues with the house . I have door and window opening sensors plus motion, flood and freeze sensors. I can check the status via the MyFrontPoint web site. I can also arm and disarm the system remotely.
The system has 24 hour battery backup and notifies FrontPoint if the hose looses power. It sends me an email also.
That is an expense I dont miss, along with taxes, etc.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:28 PM   #14

We cannot shut the water off at the main as we have lawn sprinklers and fire sprinklers that have to have water to operate. We do, as others have said, close all individual water valves and turn off water heater and ice maker.

One interesting caveat we learned the hard way. Some of the newer designer type kitchen and bathroom sink faucets can have parts with very small orifices. When the water is off, salts can clog these very small holes and clog the system, and it is almost impossible to unclog without replacing the parts. I now disassemble these parts the day before we leave and soak overnight in citric acid solution before we leave and assemble when we return.

Tags
water