Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-10-2011, 09:19 PM   #1
Silly Newbie Question

My husband and I bought a new TT a little over a month ago, and have been camping in state parks several times. Every time we go, I notice that there is a "Camp Host."

So, my question is, what is it exactly that a camp host does? I was once told that they get to camp for free in exchange for their duties at the park. Sounds like a pretty cool gig to me! Has anyone here on the forum ever been one?

Okay, so it is more than one question, and I am sure a somewhat silly one. Just wondering.

sterandber is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2011, 09:50 PM   #2
First of all, welcome to the forum. I'm curious if you are camping at Uwharrie National Forest, I have known the Camp Host there for many years. I also know the CH at Cane Brake also, many weekends and none off with other tasks as well. I'm also the food Vendor there. Yes they camp (live) there for free with almost no weekends off. They also have to provide they're own campers.

336muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 10:27 PM   #3
National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We are currently Camp Hosts at Emigrant Lake County Park near Ashland, OR. We watch over the Oak Slope Campground which has 40 tent sites. We are provided a site with 30A, water, and sewer. In exchange we clean 2 restroom buildings, pick-up trash, clean out fire pits, sell firewood, answer questions, and smile. It takes approx. 2-3 hours each day for each of us. We have 2 days off a week and can take most afternoons off for short trips. There are 2 other hosts who are in the RV section of the park. They have similar duties.
Not sure we would do this during high season but it has been great during this shoulder season. We arrived Aug. 24 & will leave Nov. 1.
2008 National Pacifica 40D DP, 4 slides, 1 1/2 baths; 2007 Honda Odyssey & 2 Segways
FMCA #F415856 & Thousand Trails Elite
Right, left, straight, or stay....decision of the day
Frantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:59 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
First things first ---->

The duties of a camp host will vary with the agency or park management. I am a camp host for the county park system in and around Madison WI. My 'employers' made it clear ours is primarily a 'PR' position, helping campers with questions from "How do I register for a campsite" to offering local information on sights to see, things to do. I'll sell firewood and will check the restrooms for function and state of cleanliness a few times per day. In our case, if there is a problem in the restrooms I'm to call the office, they'll send someone to address it. I'll check the campsites, once the guest leaves, for litter. Of course just being present provides some level of security for the facility too, however, if I observe any rules infraction I am not to try to enforce them, I'm supposed to call the ranger or law enforcement, as appropriate (haven't had to do either so far). I am provided a full hookup site as my 'compensation'.

Both private and public campgrounds utilize RVers for just about anything and everything a successfully operation requires. Some will provide only a site, others will also pay you for time worked. You have to do your homework and ask questions to determine if the work and the hours required fit into your lifestyle and expectations.
Jay & Peggy Monroe with Dolly
Can't take it with you - don't plan on leaving any behind
2016 Newmar London Aire 4553, Spartan chassis
Wrangler Unlimited toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 12:37 PM   #5
Winnebago Owners Club
I would like to ask, can a long-time rver with no hosting experience get a job hosting relatively easy? Or, must one seek a volunteer position to get experience before applying for a hosting job with benefits? Just because I know I'm good doesn't mean a potential employer can see through my distinguished looks and with confidence know I can handle the available job.
Me & my Hun RVing for fun!
Bo Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 01:46 PM   #6
Originally Posted by Bo Walker View Post
I would like to ask, can a long-time rver with no hosting experience get a job hosting relatively easy? Or, must one seek a volunteer position to get experience before applying for a hosting job with benefits? Just because I know I'm good doesn't mean a potential employer can see through my distinguished looks and with confidence know I can handle the available job.
You will have no problem finding a host job.
Try it; some love it; some not so much.
Me, I tried it; didn't like it, ties you down to much for me.
When volinteering, one thing, always make sure that your duties are in writing; and you agree with them. I've read many stories about folks that didn't know what they were getting into and didn't like it.
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:10 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Check out workkamping in RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS............ronspradley
1993 Gulfstream Sun Voyager DP 30'
200 HP Cummins B5.9, 4sp Allison AT542
Toad 1998 Honda CRV, 2006 Honda CRV
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:36 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome and with very very few exceptions there are really no "silly newbie questions". Mabe, do I pull or push the trailer would have been a silly question. Seriously, you have ask a question that caught my interest as well and ronspradley has helped us both. I've been doing the RV thing since '85 and I get a fresh education and learn someting new nearly every time I open this forum.
Stan, Shirley & 2 Schnauzers (Sandy & Sassy)
RV: 2014 Itasca Sunstar 35F
USAF, Retired, Life Member: VSPA, DVA, VVA, VFW
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:18 PM   #9
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Kate and I help out as assiatant host on buzy weekends at a county park. We help sell wood and ice and give out info if needed. I have a good time and meet a lot of nice people ( and a fewbad apples) but mostly friendly people that like to BS something I'm rather good at.

2002 Newmar Dutch Star DP3569 330 CAT - Toad Jeep Liberty, DW is the Nagivator. Work to travel and everything revolves around the price of diesel.
rvjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote