Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2016, 09:04 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Silly question regarding weighing

I have an opportunity to buy a single wheel scale at a great price and it not only works, but it seems accurate. It is rated for up to 10000 pounds.

My question is this, if I take my RV on a flat surface and individually weigh each wheel (this scale is not much more than 1.5" in height), and keep tabs for each wheel, can anyone think of a reason this would not reflect an accurate weight per corner?

I know this is silly, but I would like to weigh as I depart for each trip. No close by scales and the price of gas saved would pay for this scale in a few months.

I have a 2016 Suncruiser 38Q (no tag axle and no toad yet). Thanks in advance for your input.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2016, 09:54 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
When I had my coach weighed at Escapees they had 2 scales and always weighed both sides of an axle together. They did not seem concerned that the front - rear height was off by the height of the scales under one axle. However recall that the scales they use are MUCH LESS than 1.5 inches thick, more like 0.5 inch thick for the part you drove up onto.

I would make at least 1.5 inch thick wooden pad a similar size to the scale out of sandwiched 3/4 inch plywood. You can try it with and without the pad and let us know how much difference 1.5 inch out of level makes on your axle weights.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 10:53 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Good thinking Randy, you must have read my mind, lol, I was just thinking that a piece of 2x8 or 2x10 would do the same thing. I don't think a 1/4" or so would make much difference.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 04:22 AM   #4

scale and leveling block needs to be level to each other... but will work.

so will One Axle at a time... just keep the rig from tilting to much front to back.
but under 2 inches should not be a problem.
Chuck_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 06:52 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Yes the other wheels should be leveled using blocks but as long as it is close it will be relatively accurate. No matter how level it is it won't be as accurate as a full scale. A scale would be fun to play with I guess but it is not needed just pay once and have it weighed that's all you need.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 06:58 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I'm not sure weights each time I go out are a good investment in my vacation time

What you will probably find, as I have, is that multiple weigh-ings tend to be close unless you make a MAJOR change in your RV...
Old 10-26-2016, 07:34 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
I'm not sure weights each time I go out are a good investment in my vacation time

What you will probably find, as I have, is that multiple weigh-ings tend to be close unless you make a MAJOR change in your RV...
Agree. I can't see myself checking weight often, much less every time I travel. If I substantially change what I am carting around or major rearrange storage compartments, only then do I recheck weight distribution.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 07:54 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
As long as you are a flat surface I wouldn't waste time putting blocks under wheels on the other side of the axle. Why do I say that?

IMHO, and maybe scientifically challenged mind, The extra 1.5" under one wheel would be a very small factor and would probably cause that wheel to weigh VERY SLIGHTLY heavier than the other side of the same axle. Assuming I'm correct, that would actually add a VERY SMALL safety factor in calculating loading and tire pressure needs.

If you aren't on a flat surface then no matter what you do, you will introduce some kind of error. BTW, I'm as "picky" as anyone on weight and balance.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 01:04 PM   #9

As full-timers we carried everything we own/needed with us. Weighing wasn't an obsession with us but we did weigh when we first took off and again, 7 years later. There was basically very, very little change.

Interesting, although we weren't overweight, one corner was a little heavier than the others. It was where we stored the fly fishing equipment - you know....'dry' flies and such!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 02:46 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
IMHO, and maybe scientifically challenged mind, The extra 1.5" under one wheel would be a very small factor and would probably cause that wheel to weigh VERY SLIGHTLY heavier than the other side of the same axle. ...
Just to clarify...

What I meant was that the wheel on the scale might weigh slightly heavier in comparison if the other side of the axle is blocked.

I knew what I meant.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 10:26 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for all the input. I agree that the weight probably will not change that much and I bet I won't keep it up, but for the relatively small amount of money I can get this scale for, it should be worth it. Everyone needs a new toy now and again!

I am really curious to see how things measure up.
Old 11-01-2016, 04:18 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
Just to clarify...

What I meant was that the wheel on the scale might weigh slightly heavier in comparison if the other side of the axle is blocked.

I knew what I meant.
An inch or so might not be a problem, but looking at it theoretically, if you raise one end of an axle then the center of gravity will shift towards the low end of the axle. On an 8 foot axle an inch won't make enough of a difference to worry about - you might see a few pounds difference but certainly not a significant amount when the axle is carrying thousands of pounds.