Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2019, 04:17 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Since there is not an "I feel stupid" section...

I wasn't going to say anything, since I feel pretty darn stupid, but then I got to thinking 'well maybe if I say something it will help someone else not make my mistake'.

I was taking my motorhome in for service. This was only the third time I had driven it. What I forgot to take into account was that the wheelbase on my new one was longer than my old motorhome. I'll bet you know where I'm going with this.

The place where I have my motorhome serviced is pretty small parking and is always busy. There was a travel trailer parked pretty close to the entrance. So I start making my turn being very careful about that travel trailer, I looked back at my mirrors and what I forgot to take into consideration is the Pivot Point on my new motorhome is farther back than my old one was. Also they have a cement post just inside the entrance that's gray, so are the bays of my motorhome. So guess who crunched their motorhome.

In all the years that I had my travel trailer and my old motorhome I never even got a scratch on them. My third time out in the coach that I love, I crunch it.

I feel all kinds of stupid right now. I haven't even had a scratch, on my cars, since I was 18!

I hope my embarrassment will help someone else from making the same mistake.
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2019, 04:44 PM   #2

Consider your self very lucky.
In all them yrs. Your time has come.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWGirl View Post
I wasn't going to say anything, since I feel pretty darn stupid, but then I got to thinking 'well maybe if I say something it will help someone else not make my mistake'.

I was taking my motorhome in for service. This was only the third time I had driven it. What I forgot to take into account was that the wheelbase on my new one was longer than my old motorhome. I'll bet you know where I'm going with this.

The place where I have my motorhome serviced is pretty small parking and is always busy. There was a travel trailer parked pretty close to the entrance. So I start making my turn being very careful about that travel trailer, I looked back at my mirrors and what I forgot to take into consideration is the Pivot Point on my new motorhome is farther back than my old one was. Also they have a cement post just inside the entrance that's gray, so are the bays of my motorhome. So guess who crunched their motorhome.

In all the years that I had my travel trailer and my old motorhome I never even got a scratch on them. My third time out in the coach that I love, I crunch it.

I feel all kinds of stupid right now. I haven't even had a scratch, on my cars, since I was 18!

I hope my embarrassment will help someone else from making the same mistake.
JimmyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 04:48 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Ahhhh, welcome to the club. I hope it didn't do too much damage. It can always be fixed.

There isn't an RV-r amongst us that can't relate. We got our 1st crease in a rear bay door when tail swing "kissed" a Rubbermaid mailbox on a narrow rural road when I had to get over for an oncoming, rather wide farm tractor. Hadn't had the coach but a month.

It's always a sad day when the 1st scratch, crease or boo-boo happens. Just know, you're in good company.

Lori-

P.S. I test drove a newer coach last weekend. It had a longer wheelbase than our Bounder by about 40 inches. Guess who curbed the right rear PS tire the 1st time out of the parking lot?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 04:50 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You are a doll, Lori, thank you. I can always count on you to make me feel better!
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 05:07 PM   #5
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Backed around a tree on the left to get squared up and semi-level. Someone decided they didn't like that spot. Pulled out and exchanged paint and bark. That tree didn't like the paint and I never knew what to do with the bark.
Old 03-25-2019, 06:03 PM   #6

I think there is a youtube called the freedom theory. They just bought a brand new MH didnt even make it to the house from the dealer. Scraped up the hole side. Feeling better?
rvethereyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 06:06 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
I backed over my mechanics brand new fence yesterday. Hard to see chainlink in the back up cam.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 06:26 PM   #8

Skeletons abound in RVer's closets, welcome to the boo-boo club. There is only one kind of RVer, those who haven't had a duuuh moment__yet.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 06:34 PM   #9

We were on a 2 day run with the Lotus club I put together. It was a blast driving the coastal highway and doing some canyon cutting in our sports cars. My second in command lost it on an easy turn running the speed limit of 55. He wasn't paying attention and ran off the road through a double stretch of barbed wire fencing in front of 25 others. He was all right but every panel of that little fiberglass car was damaged! They totalled the car!
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 06:35 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Tail swing got me a couple of years ago in the gas station parking lot. I didn't realize how close I was to the the 25 ft tall brick brand sign. Right rear corner of coach hit the sign post when I turned into the pump. Nothing that $3500 wouldn't fix. Just glad for insurance and glad the sign didn't come down.
Definately a learning experience. I watch it much better now!
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 06:39 PM   #11

That stinks but no one hurt and it can be fixed. Hopefully it's not too bad. I think we have all had those oh sh** moments at one time or another. Thanks for sharing.
Nasdaqsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 06:40 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Both my wife and I are in the club.

I was backing the RV into the driveway and misjudged the distance to a retaining wall, punched a hole in the fiberglass.

My wife was pulling out of fuel station and forgot about and didn't see the tall red metal pipe protecting the fuel pumps. As she pulled out she damaged 4 bay doors, crunched the hinge across the top of 3 of the doors (I mean flat as a pancake), and damaged the bottom of the slide.

I have a bunch more I feel stupid stories that don't have to do with RVing, but that's another story.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 06:45 PM   #13

Did you know that you have to check your rear view camera for alignment when you buy a used coach??
Somebody ... decided he could rely totally on the camera without having the DW get out and assist. A bent ladder, small chip in the paint, and 'that look' - corrected that process right then and there!
Oldmso54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 07:23 PM   #14

did you know that roof corner of your house is lower than the side of the motor home. it will also make a nice gouge in the side