Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2019, 07:36 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When backing up and you have a spotter and a backup camera, and both are looking at the ground for "stuff", neither worked well to see the 6' stub of a tree limb high up on the tree that poked a hole into the top of our rear cap.
emiddleb is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2019, 07:58 PM   #16

Sorry to hear about your misfortune, but like many have said you're definitely not along.

We were traveling with some friends a few years back and stopped for the night at the inlaws. The next morning myself, my father in law and my friend were standing outside the m/h's talking while my friend's diesel was warming up. Of course we were talking about m/h's and the overhangs, the girls came out so it was time to leave and my friend was in front so he pulls away first taking out the mailbox with the back end of his m/h. The father in law just looked at each other and started laughing.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:32 PM   #17

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
I think this should be a sticky topic!

No crunching here yet, but I joined the club when I drover the coach to show her off - and left a slide out AND power connected.
Luckily I noticed the slide real quick and the shore power cable popped loose from the dogbone right away. It's got some drag marks, but it still works fine.

Steve
2005 42' Country Coach Intrigue Ovation LE "Nairobi" #11868, Cat C-13
Him: USAF, Retired
Her: RN, CPC, CPMA, COC
With Skye the mini-Aussie velocimuncher and Maybelle, her ferocious little half-sister
Jean n Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 10:45 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean n Steve View Post

No crunching here yet, but I joined the club when I drover the coach to show her off - and left a slide out AND power connected.
Luckily I noticed the slide real quick and the shore power cable popped loose from the dogbone right away. It's got some drag marks, but it still works fine.

Steve
Lucky you, someone else found my Marinco 50A power cord before I could turn around to search for it.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 05:32 AM   #19

Don't beat yourself up over it. It stinks but it happens. We all have stories. Mine...With my 5'er I was pulling my pontoon boat behind it. While scanning for campsites, I made a U Turn at the end of a loop. Had plenty of room. Driving back out of it I say hey, whats that red thing in the road, I don't remember seeing that coming in. I didn't take into consideration the ladder on the front of the boat trailer and it contacted the back of the 5'er. Smashed the light out and put a little dent in it. Not really that big but a dent. I was able to take the metal off the back, straiten it out and put it all back. You just have to keep rolling. All you can do.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 06:18 AM   #20

me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWGirl View Post
I wasn't going to say anything, since I feel pretty darn stupid, but then I got to thinking 'well maybe if I say something it will help someone else not make my mistake'.

I was taking my motorhome in for service. This was only the third time I had driven it. What I forgot to take into account was that the wheelbase on my new one was longer than my old motorhome. I'll bet you know where I'm going with this.

The place where I have my motorhome serviced is pretty small parking and is always busy. There was a travel trailer parked pretty close to the entrance. So I start making my turn being very careful about that travel trailer, I looked back at my mirrors and what I forgot to take into consideration is the Pivot Point on my new motorhome is farther back than my old one was. Also they have a cement post just inside the entrance that's gray, so are the bays of my motorhome. So guess who crunched their motorhome.

In all the years that I had my travel trailer and my old motorhome I never even got a scratch on them. My third time out in the coach that I love, I crunch it.

I feel all kinds of stupid right now. I haven't even had a scratch, on my cars, since I was 18!

I hope my embarrassment will help someone else from making the same mistake.
i clipped a neighbor kids basketball goal on my first trip down the street.
98winnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 06:23 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
I backed over my mechanics brand new fence yesterday. Hard to see chainlink in the back up cam.
I was backing my pickup out of my brother-in-law's yard this week, and my wife casually said "Fence." I stopped to see what she meant, and I was about 6" from his 6' tall chain link fence.

Mistakes ... we all make 'em. It takes self-confidence to tell about them
Old 03-26-2019, 08:17 AM   #22

Three mishaps and a minor crunch,,, so far,,, for me.

1st was when I was parked under our RV port. Had tried out the TV (cranked the antenna up) and then forgot to lower it before taking off on a trip. I was going slow and luckily was able to stop before tearing up stuff too bad.

2nd, was doing the final maneuvering into our campsite with the entry door open and steps out. Found out those pesky wooden campground posts are pretty sturdy. Again, minor tweaking but enough to cause the steps to not go in or out their full travel. Got home and was able to bend things back to there they have been working fine since.

3rd, again doing final maneuvering. Already plugged into pedestal, figured I could move the rig up a foot or two to get more level. Yep, pulled the wiring right out from the box when the rear tires ran over the cord.

The one crunch, driving past a tree that I had cut up after Rita went through. Cut too close to it and gouged the bottom of the first compartment door. That crease is still there.

Oh well!
Old 03-26-2019, 10:42 AM   #23

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean n Steve View Post

Steve

Steve, I agree!

Knowing that: (A) There is a club that I just joined and (B) There are others who have had things happen to their coach (although I was sorry to hear and cringed when I read) made me feel a lot better about my stupid moment!!

Thank you all!! I hope that reading this thread will help someone else feel better too!
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 10:57 AM   #24

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWGirl View Post
Knowing that: (A) There is a club that I just joined and (B) There are others who have had things happen to their coach (although I was sorry to hear and cringed when I read) made me feel a lot better about my stupid moment!!
I had the same moment! Like, wow, what I've done so far is pretty cheap!
2005 42' Country Coach Intrigue Ovation LE "Nairobi" #11868, Cat C-13
Him: USAF, Retired
Her: RN, CPC, CPMA, COC
With Skye the mini-Aussie velocimuncher and Maybelle, her ferocious little half-sister
Jean n Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 11:44 AM   #25

Oh. I'd forgotten about the time I left home, pulled to the side a few miles later to check the dolly straps, and discovered I was still dragging my electric cable.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:46 AM   #26
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Here's another (this one is DH's fault). I had put my 66 Mustang at the back of our RV port in order to do spring cleaning in the garage. This way it'd still be protected for the next few weekends while I did the cleaning. It was left there when we went on a trip. Coming home, I asked DH if he wanted me to spot as he backed into the port, since the Mustang was back there. He said, "No, I've got the backup camera". So I go into the garage to turn on the circuit breaker for outside receptacle while he's backing up. You all know what's coming, right? Next thing I hear is a metal on metal crunch. Yep, he tagged the front corner of my prized Mustang with the bottom of the coach's rear ladder.

Needless to say, he does NOT back up anywhere, anymore, without me spotting him.....even with the backup camera.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 11:47 AM   #27

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Picked up our new motorhome and drove it home. While backing into our driveway I was paying attention as to where the back end was going. Unfortunately I wasn’t paying enough attention to where the front end was going. Took out the mailbox of the across the street neighbor. Also put a nice gouge in the right front fender paint. Fortunately the neighbor also owns a motorhome and was very forgiving. He laughed when I confessed my error.
LandKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 01:23 PM   #28

I made it a half a mile from picking up the rv and while driving in the residential area forgot to take into account the lurking trees. The branches scraped the entire upper side and roof. Having it smogged two days later a teenager backed into it. Then when parking at my buddies house he backed into the corner roof and took out a tile or two while giving the rv another bruise. All damage happened within a four day period. Luckily, he is a CEO for a major car/truck dealer with a body shop and when I give the word (I'm gonna wait another couple of trips just in case) he'll take care of all the boo boos.