Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-03-2016, 10:29 AM   #29
Senior Member
 
trashman1995's Avatar
 
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWinLV View Post
Sheesh it's hard to go to work everyday knowing retirement is just around the corner! The next year is going to be the longest of my life, but at least there's an end in sight!
How has retirement been?
__________________

__________________
Trashman 1998 winnebago adventurer 33ft. f 53 460 7.5 16in. Wheels. 2005 Harley Davidson duece
trashman1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2016, 12:15 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 161
Reading this thread ( I'm at work) has me on the calendar picking a date, it's gonna be 4-5 years out . I'll up date this thread sometime that year. 😂
__________________

__________________
ransil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 12:33 PM   #31
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,946
I'm glad I didn't have to go thru that 'retirement' anxiety ------waiting, waiting, marking the days off....counting

I went to work as normal one Friday morning........4 hours later I quit
Come Monday afternoon I changed my 'status' from unemployed to retired!!!

That was 13 yrs 6 mos and 23 days ago........and I just recently turned 63
WOO HOO.
__________________
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 03:06 PM   #32
Klc
Senior Member
 
Klc's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Michigan
Posts: 324
Saw your heading and thought to myself that's what I'm doing. House goes on the market 1st of the year. Our last cold snowy winter. Then ft for us. Can't wait.
__________________
Kathryn and Clyde + Patty Pepper (our pug)
2011 Itasca Suncruiser 35p
2016 Ford Focus
Klc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 05:58 PM   #33
Senior Member
 
trashman1995's Avatar
 
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 219
Who else is close to retirement? any advice for us working stiffs and what we should or shouldn't do? You know "if i had to do it over again i would...."
__________________
Trashman 1998 winnebago adventurer 33ft. f 53 460 7.5 16in. Wheels. 2005 Harley Davidson duece
trashman1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 06:15 PM   #34
Senior Member
 
mrt_1111's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom3205 View Post
Just remember. RETIREMENT does not mean you QUIT WORKING. You always have to work, to have something to do, a reason to get up each morning. Retirement means you just stop "GOING IN TO THE WORKPLACE".
I always thought retirement meant you work just as hard but stop getting paid. Of course now I get to choose what I work on.
__________________
Mark
1999 Bounder 32H Ford V10, 2012 Ford Focus, Pretty DW, 1 cat. Retired USAF
mrt_1111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 08:18 PM   #35
Member
 
vagaron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 92
Congrats in advance, Christy! I retire end of this year -- egads it isn't long! I'll turn 67 Dec 30 which is also the last work day of the year. We don't even own a MH yet, but I'm picking one up this weekend, provided it's as advertised, and driving it home. Looking forward to trips with no schedule, no airports, no checking in and out of hotels, no counting the vacation days!

Ron
__________________
vagaron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 07:16 AM   #36
Senior Member
 
Betr2Trvl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Georgia
Posts: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by trashman1995 View Post
Who else is close to retirement? any advice for us working stiffs and what we should or shouldn't do? You know "if i had to do it over again i would...."
Be debt free, other than possibly a "reasonable" morgage on a house. If you can, downsize sooner than later.

Figure out what you are really spending money on, and figure out a way to stop as much outflow as you can, now.

Quit buying "stuff" now; buying "stuff" is a drug as a reward for going to work. Stop it. Start getting rid of "stuff" now - it really feels good. You don't need anything they sell in a Cracker Barrell store .

Get out of the mad holiday spending spree. Cut off all gifts to adults, stop buying decorations, etc.

Minimize vacation spending with rule 1 being never go to any Disney property

Quit gambling, lottery tickets on a regular basis, fantasy football leagues, etc.

Quit eating out, quit going to movies, quit going to bars.

No pets - they can cost a fortune.

Get heathy, live heathy; it's cheaper. And obviously stop smoking.

Buy cheaper booze (within reason of course ).

Quit propping up you your adult kids spending habits, vacations, etc. Tell your younger kids to earn their own spending money, and better yet, don't have kids at all (thruthfuly, this was very significant on the money we were able to earn and save, and a big reason we we able to retire early.......).

While you need to maximize 401k / IRA contributions, you also need a significant savings outside deferred tax accounts, particualy if you want to retire before 59 1/2.

Yes, you do have to live for today, even when you are working because there is no guarantee for tomorrow, even early retirement tomorrow sooner than later. But, you can not borrow money for things you really can't afford - it is a death spiral.

Simply think about where you are spending your money, and do your best to just stop the consumer spending madness........

Figure out what you can really live on, once you figure out what you are willing to give up spending money on. Then, figure out how much money you'll need based on your savings and other income sources to do that for a reasonable life expectancy. And don't forget to budget appropriately for healthcare, as well as any contingency spending you may need to account for, such as supporting an aging parent at some point.

Once you have hit your savings objective and have your spending in line, then you retire whenever you want.

Good luck
__________________
D&S
2015 Tiffin Allegro 31SA; 24k chassis, Sumo springs
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 08:08 AM   #37
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 993
Being debt free in retirement is one of the most important thing you can do in my opinion.
__________________
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 08:16 AM   #38
Senior Member
 
Bigd9's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: The Bluegrass State
Posts: 3,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpharley View Post
Being debt free in retirement is one of the most important thing you can do in my opinion.
Being debt free is sure enjoyable in retirement.
__________________
Good Luck, Be Safe and Above All, Don't Forget To Have Fun
Pete
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, being pushed by a 2009 Honda CRV
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 08:35 AM   #39
Registered User
 
mel s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 8,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by trashman1995 View Post
"if i had to do it over again i would...."
trashman1995
If I had to do it over again I would....
...find a less expensive way to live my retirement.
...dream a different dream.
...get a hobby.
...not have a motor home..(unless I could afford another new one every year or 2).
Mel
'96 Safari
__________________
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 08:38 AM   #40
Senior Member
 
Bigd9's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: The Bluegrass State
Posts: 3,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betr2Trvl View Post
Be debt free, other than possibly a "reasonable" morgage on a house. If you can, downsize sooner than later.

Figure out what you are really spending money on, and figure out a way to stop as much outflow as you can, now.

Quit buying "stuff" now; buying "stuff" is a drug as a reward for going to work. Stop it. Start getting rid of "stuff" now - it really feels good. You don't need anything they sell in a Cracker Barrell store .

Get out of the mad holiday spending spree. Cut off all gifts to adults, stop buying decorations, etc.

Minimize vacation spending with rule 1 being never go to any Disney property

Quit gambling, lottery tickets on a regular basis, fantasy football leagues, etc.

Quit eating out, quit going to movies, quit going to bars.

No pets - they can cost a fortune.

Get heathy, live heathy; it's cheaper. And obviously stop smoking.

Buy cheaper booze (within reason of course ).

Quit propping up you your adult kids spending habits, vacations, etc. Tell your younger kids to earn their own spending money, and better yet, don't have kids at all (thruthfuly, this was very significant on the money we were able to earn and save, and a big reason we we able to retire early.......).

While you need to maximize 401k / IRA contributions, you also need a significant savings outside deferred tax accounts, particualy if you want to retire before 59 1/2.

Yes, you do have to live for today, even when you are working because there is no guarantee for tomorrow, even early retirement tomorrow sooner than later. But, you can not borrow money for things you really can't afford - it is a death spiral.

Simply think about where you are spending your money, and do your best to just stop the consumer spending madness........

Figure out what you can really live on, once you figure out what you are willing to give up spending money on. Then, figure out how much money you'll need based on your savings and other income sources to do that for a reasonable life expectancy. And don't forget to budget appropriately for healthcare, as well as any contingency spending you may need to account for, such as supporting an aging parent at some point.

Once you have hit your savings objective and have your spending in line, then you retire whenever you want.

Good luck
I agree with most of this, and it is well written except for a few points:

No Cracker Barrel? That's un-American!
No Pets? What on earth am I going to do with Mocha, Shadow, and Hershey? For us, they provide enjoyment beyond their expense.
No Disney World? (see #1)
No Expensive Booze? OK, OK,How about a $10 bottle of wine once a week for the two of us?
No Gambling? .....OK I agree with you on this one. It's a complete waste.
No Kids at all? Then who will the grandkids say their parents are? Surely you don't advocate doing without grandkids, do you? That is just so wrong.
No eating out? Not even at Cracker Barrel? (see #1)
No bars?
No movies? (where else can I smooch with my honey of 43 years in public?)

But everything else I agree with!
BTW, 17 years ago I retired at age 50, and to borrow a phrase from McDonalds, "I'm Loving It".
__________________
Good Luck, Be Safe and Above All, Don't Forget To Have Fun
Pete
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, being pushed by a 2009 Honda CRV
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 10:20 AM   #41
Senior Member
 
Betr2Trvl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Georgia
Posts: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
I agree with most of this, and it is well written except for a few points:

No Cracker Barrel? That's un-American!
No Pets? What on earth am I going to do with Mocha, Shadow, and Hershey? For us, they provide enjoyment beyond their expense.
No Disney World? (see #1)
No Expensive Booze? OK, OK,How about a $10 bottle of wine once a week for the two of us?
No Gambling? .....OK I agree with you on this one. It's a complete waste.
No Kids at all? Then who will the grandkids say their parents are? Surely you don't advocate doing without grandkids, do you? That is just so wrong.
No eating out? Not even at Cracker Barrel? (see #1)
No bars?
No movies? (where else can I smooch with my honey of 43 years in public?)

But everything else I agree with!
BTW, 17 years ago I retired at age 50, and to borrow a phrase from McDonalds, "I'm Loving It".


We all have our guilty or not so guilty pleasures!

But I have to ask, does you wife know you've been smooching with your honey for 43 years? .

As for the $10 bottle of wine, check out Bota or Black Box box wines which we have found to be pretty good stuff vs. just about anything else under $30 a bottle. For about $20 you get 3 bottles worth, it stays fresh, and if you want to grab just a glass "just becuase", just hit the spout for a splash.

Regards
__________________
D&S
2015 Tiffin Allegro 31SA; 24k chassis, Sumo springs
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 11:34 AM   #42
Senior Member
 
Bigd9's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: The Bluegrass State
Posts: 3,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betr2Trvl View Post


We all have our guilty or not so guilty pleasures!

But I have to ask, does you wife know you've been smooching with your honey for 43 years? .

As for the $10 bottle of wine, check out Bota or Black Box box wines which we have found to be pretty good stuff vs. just about anything else under $30 a bottle. For about $20 you get 3 bottles worth, it stays fresh, and if you want to grab just a glass "just because", just hit the spout for a splash.

Regards
Shoot, once I was alone at a nice hotel and my "honey" was about 800 miles back home. A nice looking woman walked through the lobby heading toward her room. I swiveled around to look I felt a sharp smack on the side of my head and I said Ouch! The desk clerk said "sir, are you Ok?" I said "I don;t know how my wife does it, but somehow she reached out and smacked me from 800 miles away when I looked"! So to answer your question, YES, she seems to know everything I do even before I do it!
__________________

__________________
Good Luck, Be Safe and Above All, Don't Forget To Have Fun
Pete
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, being pushed by a 2009 Honda CRV
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
forum



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.