Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2015, 10:12 AM   #1

sky light a problem?

I have a question regarding skylights (larger skylights) in rv's and if anyone has experienced any problems with these leaking. I know most all rv's have Smaller sky lights over the shower in the bathrooms. The Jayco White Hawk has a rather large sky light located over the kitchen area. They seem to let a lot of light in, I'm just not too sure if I'm keen on this idea or not. I don't know if these might be prone to leak down the road.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2015, 10:29 AM   #2

I think any sky light could possibly leak, usually around the sealing flange as the window section is molded and unless cracked would remain water tight. Like all of the other roof components on RV's the sealing material should be inspected and resealed if necessary, another issue apart from water is a large skylight would tend to generate more heat and make cooling less efficient and visor versa during cold weather.
Hope this helps

Old 06-17-2015, 10:31 AM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Leaks are a non-issue if properly maintained. EternaBond tape around the margins, self-leveling caulk, make it pretty easy to keep the water out.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 02:51 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Just in case you find it cracked, I used this site to get my new skylight and replaced the cracked one I had. Replacement RV Skylights from EZ Tops World Wide Inc.

Replacing is easy. Must also order self-leveling Lap sealant.

RV Geeks also has a great video on the how to as well.
Old 06-17-2015, 03:08 PM   #5

I don't know about the leaking possibility, but I would hate having the main RV area so bright so early in the morning, especially if guests are sleeping on the dinette or couch.
Old 06-17-2015, 03:20 PM   #6

There's a rather large domed one over the shower in our MH. Been there since 1998 and no leaks or problems. There is a pleated horizontal shade that closes the opening if you want but I don't l think it's ever been used
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 04:28 PM   #7

Anything can leak if not properly maintained. Dicor self leveling works well.
Old 06-17-2015, 04:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadyRose View Post
I have a question regarding skylights (larger skylights) in rv's and if anyone has experienced any problems with these leaking. I know most all rv's have Smaller sky lights over the shower in the bathrooms. The Jayco White Hawk has a rather large sky light located over the kitchen area. They seem to let a lot of light in, I'm just not too sure if I'm keen on this idea or not. I don't know if these might be prone to leak down the road.
RoadyRose
I'm with you.
In a former life I worked in a lumber yard/home center where residential skylights were sold.... however I always thought a hole in a roof is a hole in the roof... and should be avoided if possible, (and I told potential customers so).
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 06-17-2015, 05:32 PM   #9
IC2

Those skylights seem to be on all RVs now days. There is always a possibility of a leak but regular inspections can reduce that possibility. A good clening, removal of lifted or cracked old sealant, a caulking gun and a 10 buck tube of Dicor self leveling sealant can help. You also need to occasionally check the corners of the skylight for cracks between screw holes(now how do I know about that little tidbit?). Of course, all vents need to be checked as well and that Dicor used as needed.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:04 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
I recently replaced the skylight over my shower. I found cracks in the old one a few months ago while washing the roof. Used eternabond for temporary fix until I could replace. Easy to replace. I like the skylight. As others have said, regular maintenance is the key.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 06-17-2015, 09:02 PM   #11

Thanks to all for the replies. I really like the Jayco 25 BH I'm just not too sure about the sky light in the kitchen. Thanks again to you all.
Old 06-18-2015, 06:22 AM   #12

Look to see how it's installed/fixed to the roof. That will tell you about what to expect from it. Plastic expands and contracts with temperature changes - much more than most will believe. If the skylight has been screwed to the roof every couple of inches around it's perimeter, these screws WILL cause cracks in the skylight at some point. The material the skylight is mounted to does not expand and contract at the same rate as the plastic - forcing areas of stress at every mounting point - which will eventually crack.

If the skylight has been installed in a manner that will allow the plastic to "float" as it warms and cools, no problem. Not for a long time anyway.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:09 AM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have a large rectangular skylight in my kitchen, and it is a bother! Warm on hot days, cool on cold days, bright on all days! I am planning on putting an insulating sun block there before the next trip. Luckily there is a retractable window blind there that will hold the insulation well and hide it pretty well.

I am not any more worried about leaks around the sky lights than I am about vents or the AC. Just inspect and fix as needed.

UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light