Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2015, 03:54 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Sky light Cover

Too much heat and too much light through the skylight. Well we came up with a fix.
Made a template for the skylight area, then purchased some of the insulated foil backed bubblewrap(foil on both sides), and enough vinyl to match the motorhomes colors. Cut the insulation material to match the template cut the vinyl to match the insulation material then sewed through both materials actually two layers of vinyl and the insulation material. The vinyl was wrapped to the back. Then applied Velcro to the skylight edging and to the vinyl covered insulation in 16 areas of 1 in.². So now we haven't insulated skylight and a darkened skylight as we always seem to pick the the RV site with a light right next to it or above it.
Forgot to mention this goes in the shower with the good looking side down.

LEN
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2015, 04:38 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What an excellent solution! Much more creative than mine. I too have a skylight in the bathroom and the heat was ferocious! I remover the inner skylight and put bubble wrap between them, then went up in the roof with a can of white spray paint and sprayed over the outer lens. There was still some light that came through and the temperature is fine now. Not as elegant as yours though.
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 05:42 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
We took a slightly different approach, measured, cut a 4" thick piece of foam to insert. Beware, the heat generated inside the sky light can damage plastic material.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 07:49 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred and Bonnie View Post
We took a slightly different approach, measured, cut a 4" thick piece of foam to insert. Beware, the heat generated inside the sky light can damage plastic material.

Fred
Yes! There is serious heat in there. It boggles the mind that they would put a non reflective outer light on and then an inner to focus and trap heat! Our shower would exceed 150f at times. What were they thinking......Oh...That's right. They weren't. We used large bubble bubble wrap between the lenses to insulate and then relied on the white paint on the outer lens to control the heat. Light still comes through but not much heat.
Old 07-29-2015, 08:13 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Great idea!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 12:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahoona View Post
What an excellent solution! Much more creative than mine. I too have a skylight in the bathroom and the heat was ferocious! I remover the inner skylight and put bubble wrap between them, then went up in the roof with a can of white spray paint and sprayed over the outer lens. There was still some light that came through and the temperature is fine now. Not as elegant as yours though.
I have been trying to figure out a way to reduce the heat as well and this sounds like a solution. I need to see if I can take off the inside part easily. I have also been considering putting a solar panel over the skylight. It is really a lame idea they have with these skylights.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:31 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktm View Post
I have been trying to figure out a way to reduce the heat as well and this sounds like a solution. I need to see if I can take off the inside part easily. I have also been considering putting a solar panel over the skylight. It is really a lame idea they have with these skylights.
In the Coachmen Mirada it was necessary to use a skylight. The shower drain pluming raises the shower floor a couple of inches. There wouldn't be enough room for a tall person to rinse their hair or perhaps even stand up straight. The curved skylight dome solves this.
The inside dome on ours comes off with 10 screws. It was easy to take off.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:48 PM   #8

I tackeled this problem a little over four years ago a bit different. I aquired some of the stuff they use on city buses to apply over the windows to print advertising on. You can see out and it reduces heat and light and it applies on the outside and stops the heat before it is allowed to generate heat on the inside. Once the heat is in it is too late, nothing cools it except the ACs.
When installed on the outside it is white and that helps reflect the heat just like your white roof does and reduces the sunlight from penitrating inside. Works very well.

Tags
light