Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2011, 09:34 AM   #1

Skylights with blinds?

We are in the planning stages of ordering a new trailer. I like the skylights we have in our current Airstream. Those skylights have horizontal blinds that can be closed to cut out some, but not all, of the light. This feature helps keep the coach cool.

During discussions with the manufacturer of our new trailer (New Horizons), I have learned that the skylight vendor that they use does not supply skylights that will accept blinds. New Horizons told me that installing blinds will probably void the skylight warranty because the area above the blinds will get hotter than it was designed for.

To make matters worse, we would like total black-out blinds rather than the ones that just filter the light. I would imagine that black-out blinds will make that area even hotter than regular blinds would.

Do you know of a manufacturer that makes high-quality skylights that can be blocked to prevent light (hence heat) from entering the coach?

Thanks,
– Loren
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2011, 06:25 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
should be ok if you install a maxxair cover over the vent and leave the vent open a bit in the summer.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:29 PM   #3

W4MBG,

Thanks for the comment but I don't mean a fan or a vent. Just a skylight. All it does is admit light; you can't open it. The ones in the Airstream are about twice as long as the Fan-Tastic fans.

-- Loren
Old 05-17-2011, 08:49 PM   #4

This is from a different post, its not a built-in blind, but it would do the job I'd think.

Vent Covers

course, some blackout cloth, and velcro, snaps, etc would prolly do it to.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:02 PM   #5

zoemorn,

That is exactly what the New Horizons guy suggested I use. A previous owner had installed those in our Airstream before we bought it. I took them down, but still have them in the trailer.

To clarify what I need help with: New Horizons can install nice skylights but that skylight manufacturer apparently doesn't recommend using any kind of interior cover because it can cause the skylight itself to heat up.

I'm looking for a skylight that will allow me to install some kind of cover to cut down on the interior heat. I would prefer the horizontal blinds that our Airstream has, because they're easy to use. They are always installed, just like window blinds, and work the same way but horizontally, but the skylight manufacturer won't sanction them.

Thanks for the responses. So far I'm still looking.
-- Loren
Old 05-18-2011, 06:52 AM   #6

Hey loren, what is the issue with the skylight warming up- like do they think it will melt or catch the rv on fire or something? :O
seems like if a mfg is creating covers for such a thing, they'd be aware if it was a fire hazard, ha!
or maybe not :O
Old 05-18-2011, 07:46 AM   #7
South East Texas Area Leaders

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Loren, Our Coachmen T/T came with a very large skylight about 3' long in the front kitchen area and it was equipped with a sliding blind. We have had it since new (2008) here in the Texas heat and have had no problem with it. You might contact Coachmen and find out where they get them to install in their units. You can check out our photos here on irv2 and should be able to see what I'm talking about.
MikenAmber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 07:50 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Seems to me that you could install them yourself after you own the trailer. As for the warranty I doubt that it is good for much beyond 1 year. Keeping the blind open during the daytime would take care of the overheating possibility Not much heat being trapped at night.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoemorn View Post
Hey loren, what is the issue with the skylight warming up- like do they think it will melt or catch the rv on fire or something? :O
seems like if a mfg is creating covers for such a thing, they'd be aware if it was a fire hazard, ha!
or maybe not :O
zoemorn,

I agree. If there were a problem with this I would have seen it on our Airstream by now. I think that they may be just covering their behinds in case something should happen.

I don't think that anyone believes this would be a fire hazard. I think the skylight manufacturer is afraid that his plastic might warp or something and then I would come back to him with a warranty claim.

-- Loren
Old 05-18-2011, 12:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikenAmber View Post
Loren, Our Coachmen T/T came with a very large skylight about 3' long in the front kitchen area and it was equipped with a sliding blind. We have had it since new (2008) here in the Texas heat and have had no problem with it. You might contact Coachmen and find out where they get them to install in their units. You can check out our photos here on irv2 and should be able to see what I'm talking about.

Mike,

Thanks for that info. I'll see if New Horizons can find out what skylight manufacturer Coachmen uses. Maybe they can use the same ones in our new trailer. The ones in your Coachmen sound exactly like the ones we currently have in our Airstream. The photo you have looks like ours too.

-- Loren
Old 05-18-2011, 01:44 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Loren B.,
The sky light company is afraid of the sky light imploding into the RV. I've seen this happen quite a few times. It all depends on the sky light manufacturer. You are taking the correct course of action trying to find a sky light that can have blinds inside the RV without imploding into the RV due to not being able to dissipate the heat of the day.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 01:49 PM   #12

I have a Fleetwood Trumph 365BSQS that has large skylights with both blackout and light limiting shades installed. One pull for light limiting and a second pull to slide over the blackout shades and it's installed in the bedroom. Each night I pull the blackout shades so I'm not awakened by bright light streaming into the bedroom at 5 AM. Perhaps a call to fFeetwood might help.The skylights get quite warm but so far no trouble with the shades.
-Paul R. Haller-
Paul R. Haller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 02:38 PM   #13

Carefree made a blackout skylight retractiable cover about 3' wide! Why do I know? T installed one about 10 years ago.

I think that you could go to a shop that custom makes the old fashioned roll up blind and mount it horizontally with a catch to hold it up.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:03 PM   #14

Carefree skylight shade from RV Upgrades.com
RV Upgrades.com is a sponsor of irv2.com. The owner is the founder of this website.(if my memory is correct)
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote