Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2017, 08:02 AM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Sleep Number Bed? Thoughts?

Came home to S&B last night. Before arrival, having been gone a few months, the only thing I could say I really missed was my bed lol.

In less than an hour laying there I was searching for its 'smaller sister' (home is king size) for the TT, short queen radius.

I'm seriously considering pulling the trigger on a sleep number bed by select comfort. My defense is I haven't had my first cup of coffee yet.. lol

>> How do they do in cold weather?
>> Any issues boondocking, off grid, other??

Love / Hate them in yours?
Best time to buy?
How much have you saved on which size?

Feel free to pm/email me your thoughts.

Thanks, itchy finger on caffeine withdrawals

Sam
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2017, 08:45 AM   #2
Commercial Member

if you travel a lot, like from phoenix to denver, you have to be sure to deflate the mattress before going thru the mountains. they will swell up like a poisoned pup, if you dont.
we have found that we have to have both sides nearly equal in settings. if you dont, its like rolling off a high bank to the other side.
we finally gave up and get a good posturpedic mattress.
we tried a therapedic mattress with the foam, but it was like sleeping in a rut. your body pressed into the foam, and made an impression that was hard to roll over and out of. it was also very hot. it retained heat very well.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 09:13 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Sam, we've been using Sleep Number mattresses at home and in the RV for a long time. It's great to be able to adjust the firmness, since Annette likes a firmer mattress that I do. I have developed arthritis in my hip and was waking up in the morning with my hip aching, even at softer settings. I ended up buying a natural latex 2" mattress topper for the queen bed in the MH and it has made a world of difference!

If you call Select Comfort direct you may be able to buy a refurbished mattress at a huge discount. These are mattresses that have been returned for one reason or another, checked out completely, and new fabric installed. These are not available in their stores.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 09:18 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
We have a SN at home and in the MH. To date, we've had no problems with it. Unlike the instructions, we don't inflate the mattress to 100 every day. That cuts the risk of having it over inflate if we hit a higher altitude.

We bought ours through Campers World, where it was on sale for considerably less than through SN. There was a problem with the 1st air pump, and we were referred to SN and they sent out another one without any issues. You do need to set it up yourself, but that was easy (there are youtube videos if you need them). The hardest part was dragging the old king mattress out of the MH and getting rid of it.
rmbmrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 09:29 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have a regular full size (54x75) Sleep Number in our MH and love it. We did add a 2" memory foam topper because the model we bought did not have one built in.
As far as boondocking, if I need to adjust the bed, I can use the generator or run a cord to the inverter plug by the TV. Works fine.
As far as deflating over the mountains, we let about half the air out, never had a problem.
Over the winter I deflate the mattress and disconnect the hoses.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 09:47 AM   #6

RV Trip Wizard
Anna and I have sleeping on an adjustable air bed for a decade of more. (We'd been on a waterbed for decades before.)
Our 2011 (new-to-us) Winnebago Access Premier 31NP came with a pair of Sleep Number mattresses. On our first long trip (Texas to Northern Kansas to New York State to North Carolina to Texas) one of the mattresses developed a slow leak. Got in touch with SN. They shipped a new mattress to one of our stops on the trip. Although we were not the original purchasers, the prorated the replacement to a VERY nominal amount!
Because we like the mattresses and we love their customer service, we ordered a new Full-Queen for our new 2018 Nexus Phantom 32SC. SN shipped it to Nexus so we were locked and loaded when we picked up MaRVey.
panthercity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 09:58 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
We have been using Sleep number at our S&B since 2006. Just upgraded this year to a newer model at S&B. This spring we put a SN in the RV. We tried a memory foam and hated it. So far we like it, being able to adjust firmness is a big plus for us.
SN will definately requires adjustments with altitude changes. Lower it before going up and it will require re-adjustments upon arrival and when coming back down out of the mountains.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:09 AM   #8

We've have a Sleep # bed at home & in our different RV's for over ten years now. Haven't had any problems. We were going to move the one we had in out Voltage to the Monaco when we bought it. What ever mattress our MH came with is great. So sold the Voltage with the Sleep # bed in it. That ended up being a plus as who bought it slept on one in their home.
MTK46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 10:19 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Our Winnie had a SN when we bought it but one side would not inflate properly. I called SN and gave them the serial number, they tracked it down and sent us a new control, cost us $50 of some such amount. The service was greaet and we love the mattress. The cats do too!

We have a very pricey mattress (with issues) in the S&B, actually have a factory rep coming to look at it today. I'm torn.....would replace it if we weren't planning on going FT in the next year or two.
On the Road with 13 Rescued Cats
LynnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 10:27 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
We bought a Sleep Number for the coach last spring. Had trouble with the pressure on one side. SN replaced the pump controller right away, no questions ask. Great customer service.
I am a big guy, side sleeper, getting arthritis in my hips. I rest much better sleeping in the rig, than I do in the mattress at home. The sad part of that is, we just paid big bucks three years ago for the king size mattress in the house.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:38 AM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Hi guys! I've had coffee this am lol. Let me clarify a bit - we've slept on two different sleep numbers (1Queen 1 King) for the last 20+ yrs. The Q was in excellent condition at 19 but I wanted more 'real estate' and got a king.

So I was really loving being home in my king sleep number the other night, last night second night home and it's more blissful than I realized while gone.

I didn't 'alligator roll' all night as I had on the road - pup and DH were thankful for that lol. His arthritis did much better as you all have said too.

We just weren't sure how an RV compared to S/B for quality, and such temp changes, etc. So your comments really help.

Thank you!
Old 09-23-2017, 02:35 PM   #12

I've bought 3 different MH's with them and didn't like one of them. I guess I'm a memory foam guy.
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 03:52 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have enjoyed ours that was in the motor home when we bought it. And as said above their customer service is outstanding.
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 05:57 AM   #14

We have had a sleep number bed for about six months now. We use the same setting so we don't have the high/low issue. When both of us are in bed we can lay anywhere on the mattress. When only one is in bed it tends to toll you toward the middle but that is a minor thing. We sleep much better on this than we have on any other RV mattress we have tried. We are both happy we spent the money.