Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-22-2011, 08:07 PM   #15
had our sleep number for seven years first six was the best bed ever owned never had a sore back about the end of the sixth year had to replace the side rails and the air pump our wired controllers went blank.
installed new parts side foam rails didn't last six months and started breaking down after a couple more months and my side started losing air at different rates might hold all night might go flat in twenty minutes.
priced new rails, main foam pad needed replaced and air bag decide to switch to a temper pedic this time.
but in the beds defense the dw and i are both over 200 lbs to so it might hold up better under some one smaller
we did learn they will cut you a better deal late in the year the month i paid mine off they tried to sell me the same bed for half the price i paid
great bed for the first six years and they might be built better now?
good luck on your decision

pwf16129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2011, 08:36 PM   #16

Our sleep number in the house has a 2" top pad. By a long shot, this has turned out to be the most comfortable bed we ever had. We've had it about 5 or 6 years now. The best feature of all is that AIR never wears out!

We both flucuate between 65 and 85. Depends on aches or pain du jour.

Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:57 PM   #17
National RV Owners Club
Originally Posted by muleman1 View Post
When I first read this, I thought it said "I'm 95 and the wife is 35.....".
I was getting ready to send kudos to you....and rush out for a new mattress!!
Oh my gosh! I thought the same thing!
Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:16 AM   #18
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by skigramp View Post
On a scale of 1 to 9=Like

Wife --> 9
Me --> 9

Wife is a 45 ... I am a 65 (I started at 80 but have softend over time)
That about says for us. The coach came with the sleep number. After using it a couple of years we added a 3" foam topper to it ($300 from Bed, Bath, & Beyond). Liked it so well that when we needed to change out in the house we bought the best one that Sleep number makes. Both are wonderful. After 5 1/2 years the numbers are going on the controls in the coach. For $108 Sleep Number is shipping a new compressor (nothing wrong with the old one, the just don't make the wired controlers anymore to go with it) with two new wireless controlers (like the set up we have in the house). We haven't had any problem with the mattress losing air. The pressure will go up as you go up in altitude or if the bedroom warms up during the travel day. To counter this we generally (when one of us can remember to do so) dump most the air before we roll. It doesn't take but a minute to pump back up to the desired settings in the evening.
Travel well, travel safe,
2006 Tiffin Phaeton - 2011 Cadillac SRX
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:14 AM   #19
Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My Itasca came with one, took it out and replaced it with a quality pillow top and am much happier.

Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:52 AM   #20
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by Batman_777 View Post
I do not like the Sleep Number bed and thought about replacing it many times with a premium mattress.

I think it is marketing hype. And with it, we seem to be having more trouble sleeping and back pain, not less.

And why does it go flat everytime you change power from shore to generator and back?

Maybe many of the folks who do better with it, only needed to get a new premium mattress since they do wear out.
Your bed should NOT lose air when power is lost. Probably a bad inflation unit. Call them. They will replace it. My first on died after about 4 years and they sent me another free of charge.

As for not liking your bed-- did it come with your RV? If you have not had a proper demo on how to use it, you should visit a Sleep number store. Most people who don't like them have never been shown how to properly use them.

As for the original question -- I'm a big believer. I've had mine since 1995 and can't sleep without it! I've had spine surgery, too.
Barb (RVM18), Sena (capuchin monkey, RVM Head Mascot) & Lily (Maltese/Yorkie)
2011 Shasta Cynara 230F & 2012 Smart Car toad, 272 watt solar system
The Journey is Our Destination. Full-timing since 5/18/2011 and loving it.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 04:08 AM   #21
We have a Sleep Number Model 9000 in our stick home that we purchased around 2005. When we purchased our motorhome in January the first thing we wanted to do was change the mattress to a Sleep Number. We went to the Sleep Number store and tried the newer mattresses. The C2 thru C4 models are junk. The P5 thru P7's were a little better. The new i8 and i10 were the closest thing to our Model 9000.

If you are not going to get a really good one, don't waste you money.
2004 Damon Escaper 4076
randco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 04:33 AM   #22
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by macnkat View Post
We have one in the stick house...love it. I'm a 95 and the wife is a 35 so it really helps us because without it we likely would both be unhappy.
Glad to hear someone likes the higher settings. My wife and I keep or
sleep number beds between 85 and 90. Our families keep theirs at 35 and think we should sleep on the floor and save money on buying the bed.
Mike, Janet & Duchess (cavalier King Charles)
2008 35B windsport, Brazel's rear TracBar, Koni shocks & Safe T plus steering
mikron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 05:01 AM   #23
I hvae one in the house , I to had lower back issuesl1,l2,l3 and broke my back in a motorcycle accident at the t3, t4 , I slept in a recliner for a while, We bought the sleep nember and love it, mine is 70 and wifes is 35 and want to figure out how to get one in the tour. worth every dollar spent
bad1032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:58 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Our vote is thumbs up for the sleep number. We both set our sides at 60 or 65 and sleep better on it than the very expensive junk in our stick & brick. Me: 4 back surgeries, her; 2.
Ron & Kathy FMCA F327322
2015 Newmar Dutch Star 4369
2014 Ford Explorer Sport
RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:07 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Originally Posted by muleman1 View Post
When I first read this, I thought it said "I'm 95 and the wife is 35.....".
I was getting ready to send kudos to you....and rush out for a new mattress!!
Phil in Bonney Lake, WA
2003 Itasca Horizon, 32TD
Madrona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:16 PM   #26
Tiffin Owners Club
We have one in mh and in home, love them both, question is can we take adjustable from home and put in mh, both king size?
trn the page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:14 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
we got our sleep number roughly 7 or 8 years ago. when we went fulltime 3 years ago, we moved the Sleep Number into the RV. Since the RV had a full queen mattress to begin with, it fit with no problem. it never looses air when unplugged from an A/C power source.

needless to say, we love it. would never go back to a standard mattress.
John, Joyce & Libby the Yellow Lab. - Fulltime since `08

2005 Kountry Star FW-35LKSA by Newmar
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:39 PM   #28
Fleetwood Owners Club
I actually thought losing air with a power source change was normal. Glad to know it is not.

Putting a 2" foam pad on top may help.

The MH came with it.

Fleetwood Providence 2008 40e
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel 6.0L 2006
Honda CR-V 2006
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote