Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-05-2011, 08:05 AM   #29
The thing with a sleep number bed is that you have to give it time to find your number. When I bought mine for the house, I wanted a soft mattress and my wife wanted a firm one, I also woke up with lower back pain every morning. After about a month I was back pain free and a 60 which is on the firm side of the scale and my wife is a 35-softer, go figure! When we were looking for a motorhome the sleep number was the deciding factor in the end. The beds in MH s aren't the same as the ones in the residential side unless they are just the most basic model. Put a memory foam topper on it and you have the best of both worlds. The divider between the air bladders is just a piece of foam about an inch wide, when the mattress is new you may feel it as you roll over it, but as the foam ages it gets softer and you don't notice it anymore.

Roger And Kim Goodwin
bout them DAWGS!!
Roger G is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2011, 07:07 AM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I have the queen in the MH and love it. Mine doesn't have any wood divider in it.

US Navy Vet, Liberty Tree Member of Oath Keepers, NRA & VFW Life Member, Alaska EMT.
2009 Safari Cheetah 40 SKQ
2009 Winnebago Chalet 231CR
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:24 PM   #31
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
I have the queen in the MH and love it. Mine doesn't have any wood divider in it.
Same here. No divider and wife gets to set her side soft and I get my firm side. Best RV slumber ever.
2010 Damon Daybreak 3204 Sport, bunkhouse with Jeep Wrangler toad.

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:00 AM   #32
Originally Posted by jwomack View Post
We're considering a Sleep Number mattress for our 5er (definitely gotta have a better bed for long trips). What is your experience with one and would you buy it again?
We just bought one this past holiday weekend. We were impressed with the feel in the store. It will be delivered this weekend. If you're really considering one of these mattresses, there is a 50% off sale that started over Labor Day and still on as long as supplies last. It's one of the better mattresses they have. They can be quite expensive so this is a good deal. Check the sleep number web site, lots of people get them for RVs.
ajlcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 01:34 PM   #33
Wife always complained that her bed was to hard or to soft; (before i got the sleep number bed) now I don't here any complaints, I just pump it up (her side) or let the air out.
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 03:13 PM   #34

Originally Posted by a10koaksfed View Post
LIke all matresses, it appears to be personal taste. We haven't purchased one solely because we have to 60 pound dogs that like to jump up on the bed. We worry about one of them possibly damaging an air bladder. I don't know if that is a legitimate concern, but it's our reason for not looking into them further. We just purchased a high quality queen size mattress and we sleep great.

I wouldn't worry about the dogs, I currently sleep on an Areobed and I have a 85 pound boxer that jumps up on it with no problem.

That said, nope, wouldn't have a sleep number bed. I bought a Queen size about 11 years ago, beautiful bed but there was no way to get comfortable on it. I tried everything, returned that puppy and will never get another.

Prior to getting the Sleep Number, I used plain old Coleman air beds and Areobeds for sleeping, very comfy. I have back damage and have alot of problems finding a bed that is comfortable. I plain to move my current Areobed to the MH, I have them last between 18 months to 2 years before I need to replace them. Trying to find a leak is almost impossible but for the price, it can't be beat, at least for me.
1996 Newmar Mountain Aire. 3760 CA
2006 to 2015 Boxer named Cash (aka Cassius Clay)
2016 - Boxer named Chevy
Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 03:15 PM   #35
Fleetwood Owners Club
The air bladder is not exposed. Not a concern about dogs.
Fleetwood Providence 2008 40e
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel 6.0L 2006
Honda CR-V 2006
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:02 PM   #36
We've had the Select Comfort Sleep number Regular Queen in the MH for about 9 years. It has the dual air chambers and NO wood barrier in the middle(foam). From the beginning, I always felt as though I was rolling out of bed and/or Rolling to the center. I figured, I ony slept on it a few weeks a year so NO big deal. Well, last month, my bladder(air mattress) on my side sprung a leak. As I was checking on the solutions, I dsicovered many owners of this Bed had similiar issues..so much so that it had a name...."Trenching". I purchased a new "bladder" (80.00 plus change) and they sent a fix for the trenching. We also put a Memory Foam topper on and all I can say now is....OH Happy Days!!!!

Im not a BIG advocate of this bed BUT in all my Tent camping days, I NEVER found an simple air mattress worth a darn, that didnt lose air over nite and that lasted 9 years....so to all those who say...Ill just get a Coleman air mattress..its not quite the same. As you can see from my cost for a new "bladder" , the air mattress itself is a minimal cost, the foam topper, the air pump etc etc is where the cost come in. So in a word, to each his own! Happy Travels
1995 Vogue PrimaVista 37'
Mollie and Cassie ..Cavalier King Charles Spaniels and Humphrie, the stray Mini Schnauzer. RIP LiL Rubie and sweet Maggie!!
acampingwewillgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:33 PM   #37
Fleetwood Owners Club
Just got rid of the sleep number and installed a Serta Temperpedic clone as it sleeps cooler than the original. We discarded the mattress but still have the air pump and wireless remote. Sleep number was a disappointing mattress.
Alan24601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:54 AM   #38
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We've had a king Select Comfort (Sleep Number) on our be at home for years and love it! We bought a queen for the RV and have had some problems with rolling to the middle. Not sure what is causing this. Other than that it is very comfortable. There are other brands out there similar to the Sleep Number. I would be very skeptical of them! Good luck!
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:15 PM   #39
Well..now I know who to contact when I need a replacement for my Remote or Pump......hold on to those !
1995 Vogue PrimaVista 37'
Mollie and Cassie ..Cavalier King Charles Spaniels and Humphrie, the stray Mini Schnauzer. RIP LiL Rubie and sweet Maggie!!
acampingwewillgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:52 PM   #40
have owned a king size for seven years first six years it was great then it started breaking down, bought replacement parts not nearly the same quality, but very pricey. so we are buying a memory foam to replace it with will see how that goes . if you can get one at a decent price it probably last forever in a rv but full price is too much for how long ours lasted
they usually run good sales a the end of the year so then would be the best time to buy.
pwf16129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:29 PM   #41
Fleetwood Owners Club
Costco is a good source for these mattresses. We tried them all at Sit and Sleep and when we received the mattress it turned out to be much firmer then the showroom sample. Wife loves it but way to hard for me. Remember 10,000 people tried the showroom sample so it is not reality.
Alan24601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 02:09 PM   #42
We just bought a Sleep Number king air matress for the MH. We did a lot of research and did not buy the cheapest model, instead we went up 5 from the bottom and we both love it so far. I have had back surgery 14yrs. ago and have a terrible time sleeping. For me......I wish had done this years ago. There's a huge difference in models so choose carefully. The bottom of the line was not at all comfortable to me. Most MH come with the cheap ones.

336muffin is offline   Reply With Quote