Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2018, 10:12 AM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
Might want to compare the axle load limits truck/RV...
Not sure I understand? Are you comparing RV axles to a semi's axles? Most Semi's are hauling as much as 80,000 lbs, are their any RV'S carrying that much weight? I'm not trying to get in a RV VS SEMI'S fight, but have you ever drove on interstate 5 down in the Bakersfield area? Hundreds of miles the right lane is tore up, I don't think RV'S did that.
2004 Montana 2955RL, 400 watt solar, 2000 watt inverter/charger, 4-Interstate 225AH 6volt golf cart batteries, All LED lights,Champion Remote start 3- fuel option 3100/3400 inverter/gen.- 2000 F-350 7.3 4x4 long bed crew cab SRW.
weredoingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2018, 10:40 AM   #114

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Roadside rest stops are too noisy stopped using the. A long time ago. Have been using Cracker Barrel’s. Go in get a meal ask the manager and stay overnight.
A lot of times they will have their night cleaning people keep an eye when they know they have guests on their lot.
Recent times though we have just been getting a hotel room for an overnight stay. Good hot shower and a nice bed after a days drive!
RovinOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 10:59 AM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnuts View Post
We were heading to the Keys in Fla years ago. Was on the Fla turnpike. We pulled into a rest area and spent the night. When we exited the turnpike, the attendant (no such thing as EZ pass then) said, hey! You spent the night somewhere on the turnpike. I didnt lie as he knew this based on the time stamp in the ticket. He then charged us an additional $12.00 for sleeping at a rest stop on the Fla turnpike!! Can you believe that??

The Kansas turnpike has had a similar charge - trips that take longer than a specified amount of time (I think it was 8 hours, the TP is under 300 miles) were charged for a full length trip regardless of entry/exit points. I'm not sure they still do this (can't find it on their toll sheet online) but I've paid that fee for needing to sleep "right now").

I suspect this is more common than not, rcnuts.
Old 10-20-2018, 12:15 PM   #116

Sleeping in Rest Areas

Oregon Coast allows 12 hours use on rest areas. We stayed at one of the rest areas. We were so tired from driving at night and we were still two hours to our destination/ reserved campsite, so we just pulled in one of the rest areas along the coast and slept. There were other rv’s there too.
Explorer53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 12:35 PM   #117

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I pulled into a rest area right behind a semi. There was only one spot left but it was a handicapped pull through space which I am licensed to use. I wouldn't have complained if he took the spot even though he wasn't licensed to use it. He pulled on through so I took it for some rest. Yes, a few states have designated handicapped RV spaces in their rest areas. It's nice if you can find them.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 03:49 PM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I pulled into a rest area right behind a semi. There was only one spot left but it was a handicapped pull through space which I am licensed to use. I wouldn't have complained if he took the spot even though he wasn't licensed to use it. He pulled on through so I took it for some rest. Yes, a few states have designated handicapped RV spaces in their rest areas. It's nice if you can find them.
Hope you don't start a whole new topic.
2004 Montana 2955RL, 400 watt solar, 2000 watt inverter/charger, 4-Interstate 225AH 6volt golf cart batteries, All LED lights,Champion Remote start 3- fuel option 3100/3400 inverter/gen.- 2000 F-350 7.3 4x4 long bed crew cab SRW.
weredoingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 05:57 PM   #119

Never a problem, just dont have a campfire..lol..some rest areas have dump stations even..
pfritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 07:04 PM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by weredoingit View Post
His rigs pay more in road tax because simi's do more road damage then any other vehicle on the road.
Lots of diesel pushers have more weight per wheel, then most trucks. Those are hurting the roads more then most trucks.
Old 10-20-2018, 07:07 PM   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by weredoingit View Post
Not sure I understand? Are you comparing RV axles to a semi's axles? Most Semi's are hauling as much as 80,000 lbs, are their any RV'S carrying that much weight? I'm not trying to get in a RV VS SEMI'S fight, but have you ever drove on interstate 5 down in the Bakersfield area? Hundreds of miles the right lane is tore up, I don't think RV'S did that.
Very few trucks are maxed out weight wise. Over 15 years of driving truck, I only came close to 80k less then a dozen times. Those were hauling loads of paper back from Maine.
Old 10-20-2018, 07:23 PM   #122

If you are going to stop at rest areas, truck stops, ect, and it is in a pull through spot, stay towards the rear of the spot. For a truck driver, its frustrating to see a spot, and swing wide to pull in, then spot a camper at the front.

Similar thing, if its a back in spot, stay towards the front.

Just part of being a nice neighbor.
Old 10-20-2018, 07:36 PM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
"It's hot, so I'm going to run my AC. Have no way to plug it in, so kick that big Clatterpiler up on fast idle until 2."

Unlike most RVs most trucks only have one way to run the air conditioner, which is run that big engine that is made to move the weight up the road. And personally the cooler outside temps mean that if I wake up, I will likely shut of the engine.
I think that since about 2005, the sale of trucks equipped with an APU have far exceeded the number of those sold without one. Are they a pain to keep running? According to both of my brothers, yes. But, they save them money in the long run. The newer engines are not made to idle for extended periods any more. The DPF will plug as the exhaust temps at-idle are far too low to allow an effective regen. It's cheaper for them to keep fixing their APU's than to be stopped for a day to have the DPF baked. Once in limp mode due to excessive backpressure and "stopped regens" you're out some bucks.

And, as the older of my two younger brothers points out to me - he's not about to mess with any RVer. Especially one plated from the west or south - and especially those with veterans stickers or other prior-service indicators. He's retired Army, and southern, and also licensed to carry. He knows the score. He doesn't begrudge any tired Rver the time in the rest area. Just pull forward enough to leave room, if possible.

In a rest area my slide(s) stay in. At any other stop I'll analyze the situation. If I can put the slide out over a curb or next to a light pole in a parking lot, then I might. Oh, and I have lots and lots of conspicuity tape around the walls of my slides (visible only when extended). Those extra bucks spent on highly reflective tape are cheap insurance in my book.

Anyway, I don't feel guilty using a rest area. I pay taxes commensurate with my road use. I get about 6-1/2 mpg in my gas coach. I buy lots of fuel and therefore pay lots of taxes. Since my rig is only 30' and with the Jeep toad I'm about 47', I can pull forward enough for a bobtail or another RV to come in behind and share the lane.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 08:55 PM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryCreek View Post
Oh, and I have lots and lots of conspicuity tape around the walls of my slides (visible only when extended). Those extra bucks spent on highly reflective tape are cheap insurance in my book.
After driving a night, for over ten years, I think all vehicles need more reflective surfaces. Especially after I had a brand new freightliner melt the main wiring harness, which also melted the air lines. Ended up with the trailer still about 3 feet into the travel lane. No power, no lights, no cell phone service, And of course, it was a night with no moon light. Was glad my company was one with reflective tape all around the trailers. That was the longest hour or so in my life, until the state police showed up.
Old 10-20-2018, 09:39 PM   #125

I applied reflective arrows on both sides of all 4 slides before ever taking our first trip in our new to us coach. I later applied the white reflective tape to the lower corners of the entry door and the edges of the steps. Good insurance in a WM parking lot or at a truck stop or at a rest area.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171213_112952433_HDR.jpeg
Views:	117
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	223250
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 11:33 PM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superburban View Post
Very few trucks are maxed out weight wise. Over 15 years of driving truck, I only came close to 80k less then a dozen times. Those were hauling loads of paper back from Maine.
I drove Refers for a year and I don't remember a load that wasn't pushing 80,000. Yes I drove for Swifters, but they pushed our limits all the time and each load required my tandems to shift, especially hauling meat. I constantly had to weigh each load and ensure my axle weights didn't exceed the law. Often times the loads were indeed overloaded, especially from Smithfield meats. I can't tell you how many times I had to return to the shipper and have them reload it because I couldn't balance the axle weights. I envied you dry goods guys that seldom shifted your tandems. Oh, but the .04 cents per mile helped.
JohnWMills is offline   Reply With Quote