RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2018, 03:35 PM   #1

Sleeping in rest areas

How are various states about sleeping in rest areas. Not camping, setting up pullouts etc, just stopping for 4-7 hours and catching some rest in the trailer. before continuing on.

I used the search function but came up empty

Wrktfsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2018, 03:55 PM   #2

I’ve tried a flying J way to noisy. I drove to Orlando pulling a enclosed car trailer, dropped car off and drove back home. I pulled off in a rest area and got 2 hours sleep. Lots of people doing it I walk by a pickup truck people sleeping in bed.

Old 10-12-2018, 03:56 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
WA state limit is 8 hours and no tents.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 03:59 PM   #4

American Coach Owners Club
We were in Alabama. Rest area had a sign stating 3 hour max in rest area. The center in the rest area was still open, so I went in and talked with the attendant. He told me I was welcomed to stay overnight. No one has ever been asked to leave. He also told me the highway patrol will also send RVs to the rest area. They would rather have you rested than responding to an accident.

My experience.
AE Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 03:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrktfsh View Post
How are various states about sleeping in rest areas. Not camping, setting up pullouts etc, just stopping for 4-7 hours and catching some rest in the trailer. before continuing on.

I used the search function but came up empty
We've done it a few times, once we had axle trouble on Hwy 97 in Ca. right on the Oregon border,(might have been on the Oregon side?) it was 4 pm we pulled in put the bedroom slide out enough to walk around the bed, only a few inches. No problem with police and they came through a couple times when I was walking the dog. Stayed until about 7 the next morning.
Once we slept at a rest stop on HWY 5, I think it was near Corning Ca.? We stopped about 2 AM and slept til 6, I don't think they want to see people CAMPING at a rest stop. But they would rather you sleep for a few hours then drive. As for slides, we only have 2 slides The living room slide does not need to be open on our 5ver, but the bedroom slide we open just a few inches so the DW can get around to her side of the bed.
A little common sense goes a long way with the police. I also carry a few orange cones, that I put around the open slide.
2004 Montana 2955RL, 400 watt solar, 2000 watt inverter/charger, 4-Interstate 225AH 6volt golf cart batteries, All LED lights,Champion Remote start 3- fuel option 3100/3400 inverter/gen.- 2000 F-350 7.3 4x4 long bed crew cab SRW.
weredoingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 04:02 PM   #6

I've traveled cross country 3 times, up and down the east coast, ect. ect for over 40 years and needless to say I do use Wallie World for one night stands along with highway rest areas, that's why they call them rest areas. One night stand etiquette applies, that being use of common sense. Don't set up camp IE no jacks, awnings, BBQ grill. I do have a small bedroom slide that if I can park with that out of the way I will extend it. To make it simple don't make it look like you live there and no long term stays. Life is good.
RayJr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 07:20 PM   #7

Here is a site that list RV laws including rest area rules by state.
RVSafely.com
grindstone01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 07:55 PM   #8

My experience is that not only is it allowed (they ARE called "rest" areas), but encouraged. I don't think you can camp for a day or two, but cleaning up the aftermath of a "sleepy" driver, on a modern highway, is annoying.

2013 Ford CMax hybrid toad.
av8tor2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:01 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
We stop in rest areas all the time when traveling. We never had a problem with this. Our DS is very quiet so we don't have a problem in truck stops or Wally Worlds. We rarely hear anything.
Old 10-13-2018, 07:19 AM   #10
Livin the Life

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
Here is a site that list RV laws including rest area rules by state.
RVSafely.com
According to this site, Arizona and New Jersey is max 8' wide. We will be 8'5.5".

We are planning on storing in Arizona. What do others do?
Blog: bailey18.com
AllanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 07:38 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanK View Post
According to this site, Arizona and New Jersey is max 8' wide. We will be 8'5.5".

We are planning on storing in Arizona. What do others do?
No problem in any of the rest areas we stayed at across the country. Parked with the big rigs, never bothered by anyone. As stated, Jack's stayed up and slides stayed in. Some even have dump stations and potable water stations!
coachkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 07:40 AM   #12

The main problem we have with stopping at night in rest areas, on the major routes we have traveled, is that it is often hard to find a parking spot because they are overflowing with trucks.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 07:47 AM   #13

AllanK,
Do not worry about the width--max width is generally listed at 102" for most states and you will NOT be bothered about it. Many more important things to worry about, like did you put the beer in the fridge to get cold?
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 07:53 AM   #14
Livin the Life

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
AllanK,
Do not worry about the width--max width is generally listed at 102" for most states and you will NOT be bothered about it. Many more important things to worry about, like did you put the beer in the fridge to get cold?
Joe
always have cold beer in the fridge :-)

Thanks.

Blog: bailey18.com
AllanK is offline   Reply With Quote