Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2016, 07:08 AM   #1

Slide compressed seal is sticking to inside wall, popping, ripping wall.

Just started recently. These slides have been in and out at least 30 times. But about a month ago, the padded seal on the slide that compresses to the wall has been sticking to the wall when we try to pull the slide back in.

It is a very loud pop, you can see the top frame of the slide bend in when the slide is starting to move, and when it finally lets go, it has pulled a little chunk of the wall "paper" and has damaged a small chunk of the particle board.

So, a couple days ago, I felt all surfaces, and there was a slight tack to the seal, so I used goo gone to clean both surfaces. Still popped.

Next I used a silicone-based lube on both surfaces, assuming that I SUREDLY fixed the issue, still pops.

At this point I realized that I need to start to pull in the slide, stop after about 1/2-1" of travel, and pull the top frame of the slide so as to break it free without too much POP and any further damage to the wall. This area is right in the middle of the top of the slide, and is affecting maybe 6 or 8 inches of the wall.

My wife is starting to think that the seal is getting down under the particle board when the slide comes to a rest and falls into its "seat" when it is fully extended, and the particle board wall is actually sinking into the seal, and getting stuck, rather than there being a sticky adhesive issue.

Just to be sure, I pulled the slide in about 1/2" and applied a spray-on lube that would cover more area, over both surfaces, and it still pops.

Anyone have any suggestions??? Maybe not seat the slide so hard? Different lube? Smooth out the damage on the wall?

I am getting ready to have to do some sanding on the particle board because it now has sharp edges (cut a gash in my hand while applying lube with my hand) and there are small chunks of particleboard and vinyl wall paper sticking out and pulled off.
scottandanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2016, 07:25 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I have used baby powder in the past, but it sounds like DW may be right.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 06:34 PM   #3

We will try to stop it from seating and then going into that drop, if it will prevent sticking, and also still be water-tight. Once we get a couple days where we are not on the move, I will do some sanding on that damaged area, and see if I can minimize the catch.

Baby powder is a better idea than lube or grease, as it will not attract dust and grime, so if I can get it to stop popping, I will wipe off the grease and try that instead.

It is annoying, since this trailer is only one year old, and we take it out full-timing, and all of a sudden stupid stuff like this starts to happen, and we do not have time to take it in or fix it ourselves.
Old 06-16-2016, 08:33 PM   #4

Confirmed...when the slide settles, the seal goes below the walboard and on the way back out, it gets caught, grabbing the wall and pulling it out with it.

At this point, i am thinking about adding a piece of molding to the wall along the top, or cutting/grinding away the excess wall overhanging material.

Or, what we do now...pull slide in 1 inch, stop, pull top of slide to free it, and continue pulling slide the rest of the way in. It works, and is only a minor hassle.

Tags
seal, slide