Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-12-2014, 06:44 PM   #1
Slide out length

How much wider than the slide out should an awning be? I have researched all about installing them, and would feel comfortable doing it myself. Looking at the Carefree brand.

MadDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2014, 07:05 PM   #2
There is no "guide" it will be up to you and your coach on where it can be securely attached. Not to mention that it clears the slide out and not rest on the slideout to be worn.

Don and Nancy
[2014 40QBH Phaeton, 2015 Buick Enclave, 2yr old sisters Sara n Kaycee, Havanese, Two Segways
djbmsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 06:39 AM   #3
The ones I'm familiar with have all attached to the slides. This makes installing one that's longer than the slide out difficult? Or have I misunderstood the question?
1997 37' HR Endeavor, 275hp Cat, Freightliner
03 CR-V Blue Ox, Ready Brake
ahicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 11:07 AM   #4
Fleetwood Owners Club
When researching my coach purchase I noticed them both attached to the slide and the coach. Same brand, different years. I preferred the one attached to the slide because you have more depth of awning space as opposed to width. Most of the ones I saw attached to the coach offered less usable shade.
Jeff & Steph
2010 Discovery 40x Spartan Cummins ISB
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Hogbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 12:05 PM   #5

I'm a bit confused. Are we talking about an awning, or slide toppers??
Tony & Ruth........... FMCA#F416727
Newmar Dutch Star 4320, Spartan MM Chassis, Cat C9, Jeep Grand Cherokee,with Hemi, hooked up with a Blue Ox Aventa LX, and Brake Buddy.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 06:41 PM   #6
Tiffin Owners Club
Awnings. A lot of newer coaches have the awnings attached to the slide rather than the coach. I have noticed quite a few more than i used to see at campgrounds. At first I thought it was a bad idea adding the awning weight to the slide but honestly they do produce more useable shade. I talked to one owner who said he had no issues with weight and his was 3 years old. The only downside is the width. Depending on how wide youe slide is it can mean a narrow awning losing any shade advantage for sure.
Mel (Melanie) and Harry
2009 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Melmoses is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 06:54 PM   #7
Winnebago Owners Club
Our MH has both a slide awning and a body awning. I prefer the slide awning.
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 06:55 PM   #8
Winnebago Owners Club
On our MH the slide is 15' wide and the awning is 19'. We lose 24" of "shade space" under 15' of the awning when the slide is out. Awning positioning and width appears to be more a function of window location than it does anything else. \ken
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0782c.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	70732  
Ken & Deb (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, Harvest Hosts, and grateful volunteers with SOWERs)
2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/400ISL and Allison 3000MH on Freightliner's Evolution chassis, Onan QD7500, 1000w Renogy solar, BlueOx tow gear, and 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:07 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Melmoses may be answering about awnings, but not sure what the OP (MadDad) is asking about.

If it is a Carefree slide topper that ha asks about, the width is limited by the mounting brackets on the slide out end. More is better, overlapping the end of the slide enough to reduce the amount of water that collects on top in a windy rain. Usually the bracket can be mounted to give a couple extra inches on each end, but the RV manufacturers rarely do that. They set them up so the fabric barely reaches the end of the slide. Whether you can do that depends on the slide construction and the available mounting brackets. One type is flat, the over curved. Here's the flat one:
Carefree of Colorado Slideout Cover Awning Bracket & Hardware - RV Camper Parts
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 07:21 PM   #10
Winnebago Owners Club
Oops you are correct. Not sure what I was thinking. On our coach the slide awnings are 6" wider than the slide at each end.

Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote

slide, slide out