RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2017, 10:49 AM   #1

Slide-out Question?

Hello, First of all I am a new member. My wife and I are looking at buying an older MH 1998 National Tropic Cal. It has a slide out. My question is: the entire kitchen area is located in the slide out, meaning that it all moves when going in and out. All of the floor plans I have found show the kitchen area on the other side and the sofa and table located in the slide. Is this a Red Flag and concern about the connections? Our first MH ever> Thanks

REDEYE50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2017, 11:05 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Great question
Reality is that moving parts will fail before fixed parts. I would not call it a "red flag", but due diligence should be taken to check proper operation of the plumbing (fresh and waste), propane, and electrical.

Best luck

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
"I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance", S.Coleridge 1797
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 03:32 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
My 98 Dutch Star had the kitchen in a slide and it never caused me a problem. I would keep track of the condition of the lines to the kitchen though.
Old 01-29-2017, 03:39 PM   #4

I posted this yesterday, the subject was about new class A's.

Now let's talk about slides with appliances: electric, supply water and propane lines are all flexible and no big deal. Sewer drain lines are problematic due to being solid, P traps and the need for vents. There will be a rugged flex zone that is not perfect.
Also all of these lines will need to connect from the slide to the coach -- the lower slide seal is ok when the slide is closed, no problem. However, with the slide extended the only seal is the wiper. There is really no good way to get a proper seal at floor level when you have appliances on an extended slide. Please someone provide pictures to the contrary.

I'm pondering how to modify my own coach. I have 12v, 120 ac and a propane line to contend with under the slide.
Old 01-29-2017, 05:34 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
We have owned two Dolphins, total 15 yrs, both had/have kitchen slides, trouble free.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 08:11 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggcrisp View Post
I posted this yesterday, the subject was about new class A's.

Now let's talk about slides with appliances: electric, supply water and propane lines are all flexible and no big deal. Sewer drain lines are problematic due to being solid, P traps and the need for vents. There will be a rugged flex zone that is not perfect.
Also all of these lines will need to connect from the slide to the coach -- the lower slide seal is ok when the slide is closed, no problem. However, with the slide extended the only seal is the wiper. There is really no good way to get a proper seal at floor level when you have appliances on an extended slide. Please someone provide pictures to the contrary.

I'm pondering how to modify my own coach. I have 12v, 120 ac and a propane line to contend with under the slide.
Can you clarify what you mean about the bottom seal. My Itasca has the kitchen slide. None of the lines (water, gas, electric, sewer) are anywhere near the bottom seal, and therefore have no effect on it. Also, my sewer line is not solid (a large sweeping flexible curve), and the kitchen P-trap and air admittance valve is fixed, no different than any other coach I've owned. But again, I'm interested in your comment about the bottom seal. Can you clarify? Can you please provide pictures to show what you mean? I'd like to see pics of the difference in the bottom seal between a kitchen slide and a non-kitchen slide, because I see no reason for any difference.

There have been several threads on kitchen slides; the general consensus has been that they have proven to be no more problematic than any other slide. You are much more likely to have problems with the slide mechanism itself than the appliance lines.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 08:52 AM   #7

Slide-out Question?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1485791098.991999.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	150427

This is the bottom of my non-appliances slide. The rubber seal touches the metal to form a nice weather tight seal.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1485791229.926316.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	296.5 KB
ID:	150428

This is the bottom of my slide with appliances. The lines are on the far side just out of sight.

Attaching a metal piece for a seal to hit would be easy. Attaching a form and seal onto the bottom of the slide not so much because of the lines. The bottom seal would have to move with the slide. The way my lines run from the basement up -- poses a problem that I'm trying to solve.

That's the outside world you can see. Spiders and bees can get in. I hate spiders and bees inside my house.
Old 01-30-2017, 11:10 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Attachment 150427

This is the bottom of my non-appliances slide. The rubber seal touches the metal to form a nice weather tight seal.
Attachment 150428

This is the bottom of my slide with appliances. The lines are on the far side just out of sight.

Attaching a metal piece for a seal to hit would be easy. Attaching a form and seal onto the bottom of the slide not so much because of the lines. The bottom seal would have to move with the slide. The way my lines run from the basement up -- poses a problem that I'm trying to solve.

That's the outside world you can see. Spiders and bees can get in. I hate spiders and bees inside my house.
Wow, that's a lousy design. My slide has no daylight visible; it seals just fine, no different than my non-appliance slide. While my lines come from the basement initially, at the slide area they are already above the floor level, so they have no bearing on the bottom seal. I'll try to get some pics from the inside.
Old 01-30-2017, 12:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Attachment 150427

Attachment 150428

Something does not look right with this seal. You should not be able to see much of anything in my opinion, at least you can not see light with mine. This looks like something is completely missing.
Old 01-30-2017, 12:34 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktm View Post
Something does not look right with this seal. You should not be able to see much of anything in my opinion, at least you can not see light with mine. This looks like something is completely missing.
I agree; I have a hard time believing that Fleetwood would produce a coach with that gap.
Old 01-30-2017, 01:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4van View Post
I agree; I have a hard time believing that Fleetwood would produce a coach with that gap.
I, too, find that gap to be a problem to his coach (possibly his coach only; factory failure?). I have a kitchen in a slide and, in fact half the master bath (sink and toilet) in the back is in a slide. The "under sink" and "under toilet" are typical hard plumbing points that themselves drain into flex lines that go through a fixed wall where, again, the flex lines mate with hard lines that drop through the floor and into the respective tanks and the water lines come up and follow the flex drains back to the fixtures... The only thought I would have that could be an issue on a really old install is that the flex lines may get brittle with age, but, I suspect that would not occur before the "end of life" expectancy for the whole coach or at least the major appliances since those lines are in heated areas and not exposed to UV (except maybe that of biggcrisp's unit with the huge gap ). Under none of my slides is daylight visible, and if there were, as in his case, I would ASAP install a taller wiper to seal that gap.

As far as the kitchen in a slide being problematic, never has been in any of the TTs or MHs I've owned. In the early days of kitchen slides, and perhaps even now, if the propane fired refrigerator isn't installed/vented properly they can give you problems. My new coach has a residential refrigerator which takes that out of the equation.

Don & Bronwyn + 1 Cat; J-Lo
2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX (AKA, "The Cat House")
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Towed
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide