Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-10-2010, 11:22 AM   #1
slide out question

Hello again, just another pesky question from a wannabe.
The wife and I have been looking at M.H floor plans online a lot this winter,getting idea's on what we like and don't like. Going to spend time going to dealers soon to look and feel.
The question I have is about utilities in a slide out, (sink, reefer, stove, ect.) While we would both love the extra room that provides, I was curious about the reliability of the plumbing connections and if they hold up under use.
To me that is asking for trouble,but see that lots of floor plans seem to have them.
We would like to have you more experienced people clue us in.

Longing for the day
longing is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2010, 01:50 PM   #2
Slide out question.

I like you don't trust a slide out with the plumbing in it. I see alot of them, but I'm not convinced that for the long term it is going to work. Plus in our rig the kitchen and toilet are on the curb side. I don't want a slide on the side where the awning is, and I sit out. There is no good reason other than I don't like that. The bedroom slides out on that side but it is not in the "entertainment area", if that makes sense.

badge2283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:19 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've had two coaches with galley slides, for a total of 8 years. We did have one plumbing problem - the manufacturer did not leave enough slack in one sink drain line and it eventually broke where it joined a fixed pipe. I've heard of a few such problems in other rigs too, but the number of rigs with galley slides has to be in the many-thousands.

Obviously, moving plumbing, electric and gas has more risk of failure than stationary equivalents, but all in all it does not seem to be a significant issue. I bought a second one after my experience with the first (including the problem), so you see how I voted on the issue. I would not let the slight risk stand in the way of the obvious benefits.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:24 PM   #4
We have had problems with our kitchen drain. I have replaced the coupler from the flex line to the hard line a couple of times. I am thinking that as the coach gets older, the line is not as flexible. Also, the coupler gets a bit stiffer and bent. I have gotten into the habit of verifying that it has not disconnected when I extend the slide.
2001 34' Alpine Coach
2008 Jeep Rubicon or 2012 Ford F150 4x4 Lariat towds
or a couple of different trailers
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote