Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2019, 07:50 PM   #1

Slide out trays.

We just ordered a Tiffin motor coach and were wondering if anyone has an opinion about slide out trays.

Someone mentioned to us that they prefer only one tray as you lose some height in the compartment and also cannot access all of the storage bay where the slide out trays are positioned.

Any suggestions or opinions are appreciated.
Mammag5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2019, 08:25 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
My coach does't have slide out trays and I wanted to install a couple. After looking at the sizes and measuring my bays, I'd lose a lot of capacity with trays. I think I'm still going to install one in the bay that I store tools and parts since they are so heavy, but I've given up on installing them in the pass through bays. Think long and hard before installing one of the long drawers that goes all the way across the bay. It really limits the height of stuff you can store in it since it has to pass under the frame rails.
Old 03-23-2019, 10:28 PM   #3

That's exactly what I heard. I'm hoping we can amend the order and delete one of the trays.

Thanks for the information.
Old 03-23-2019, 10:39 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
You didn't indicate which Tiffin you are ordering but we're looking at a Phaeton 40IH on the PowerGlide chassis. It has 2 full across slide trays. I'm not gonna stack stuff high enough to hit the frame (see photo of bay with slide tray). I'm not worried.

Lori-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1552678931141.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	239240  
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 11:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
You didn't indicate which Tiffin you are ordering but we're looking at a Phaeton 40IH on the PowerGlide chassis. It has 2 full across slide trays. I'm not gonna stack stuff high enough to hit the frame (see photo of bay with slide tray). I'm not worried.

Lori-
EXACTLY

The sliding tray for the full width compartment, while it does detract SOME from actual cubic feet of storage, is pretty valuable in obtaining access to way deeper packed/stored items. I don't know about many of you but, I for one, HATE to move 10 boxes to get to ONE, that's in the middle of the coach. So, the sliding tray to me, is the answer. One needs to learn to pack/store more efficiently. Organization is the key here. Elimination of items/components that haven't been used in months is also another key.

I used to build and install sliding trays in fire trucks and, our style of sliders/drawer glides provided for very low profile trays and drawers. We lost as little room in a compartment as possible, and yet sill had trays and drawers capable of severe weight. If I were the OP, I'd keep the trays, try them out, see how your loading/arrangine goes, THEN make a decision. I'd bet my house that, if you really didn't like those trays after a trial period, you could sell them in a heartbeat.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 12:22 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a full width tray. The frame rails limit the height of all items if using a full width tray. I'd prefer two half trays, then the front area could be used to full height.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 05:14 AM   #7

I have sliders in all bays do I use them, not much.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:20 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
We have a 37PA and ordered it with a slide tray in the front bay only. Works very well for us as keeps my back in much better shape when getting to items we use all the time.

It would be even better with a raised rail (power glide) as there is an extra 6" or so in additional height.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 07:56 AM   #9

I considered the same when deciding on # & size of trays.
I decided that a single (pass) side about 2/3 depth was the best compromise. It let's me access frequently used items easily and maximize storage cube. I use the non slide (driver) side for less frequently used items and it's only 1/3 depth so not a problem reaching stuff.
Also consider xx% of travel for slide... usually around 70% has a lower rail ht (unusable ht) than a 100% extension slide that takes another set of rails and more unusable ht.
If you go with full W slide and want to use the full ht efficiently many add a shelf at the frame rail ht to provide some stationary storage above the moving slide.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 10:05 AM   #10

My coach came with one slide tray, passenger side rearward compartment and 2/3 length as on the opposite side is the electric cord reel. For my coach, it is perfect and the only one I would want because that is the bay with the most clearance.

IMO, however, trays would be very beneficial for compartments, below slide outs, that have top hinged doors. Don't know about the OPs coach design, but those low opening doors are not fun when trying to access when digging deep into the compartment. That's where a slide tray would shine.

And I agree 100% to get the trays as ordered, use them, and if not satisfied, sell them. They will go very quickly.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 10:58 AM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Congrats on the new rig! I would definitely get the trays, preferably the fullwidth version that can be slid out either side! You only lose maybe 3-4 inches and the convenience FAR outweighs that! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 12:18 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
We are another one that ordered a single slide out try. It sure works well for the things we get out all the time like,chairs, table, and the grill. Saves a lot of back stress.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 02:20 PM   #13

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post

Lori-
It's a 45OPP. I'm thinking if we were traveling for a month it would quickly fill up with things we pick up along the way. Not that I like to shop too much but those occasional "I have to have that" thing.
Old 03-24-2019, 02:27 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Congrats on the new rig! I would definitely get the trays, preferably the fullwidth version that can be slid out either side! You only lose maybe 3-4 inches and the convenience FAR outweighs that! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
I'm considering doing just that and seeing how they work for us, if they become a problem just selling the second one.

Thanks for the comment and the warm welcome. God bless fellow traveler!

Tags
slide, slide out