Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2012, 09:03 PM   #1

Angry Slide Out won't go out

So our new to us Winnebago Minnie Winnie arrived today from California and the slide out will not go out.

Sometimes when I push the "out" button it actually starts to move and will get half way and stop (the slide stops but the motor keeps going - I can hear it). Sometimes it doesn't move and I just here a whirring sound from the motor. If I keep holding it sometimes it eventually catches. It moves out VERY slow when it does move. Coming back in it seems to work fine.

I checked all around it including the top to ensure there way no obstruction.

Anyone have any ideas? I crawled under the coach to look around and it's all foreign to me.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2012, 02:16 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
1995 Winnebago probably used the HWH system. Make sure parking brake is set. Ignition key to on or Accessory position and if you have leveling jacks they have been used to level the coach and leave the system turned on. Now, try the room extension. Be sure the coach has good battery power and let us know the results. Thank you.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:18 PM   #3

Clarification

I guess my signature is confusing as was my OP.

The RV with the slideout problem is a 2000 Winnebago Minnie Winnie. The 1995 RV was totalled last month and the 2000 is the replacement.

And the problem with the slide out is not power or low battery. When I push the "Extend" button, I hear a whirring sound coming from (I think) one of the solenoids. SOMETIMES the slide out will start to move out VERY SLOWLY but never gets more than 1/2 and then stops. The solenoid keeps whirring when the slide stops moving out. There are no obstructions around the slide out. I have triple checked.

When I push the "Retract button, the solenoid whirrs for a few seconds and then the slide retracts pretty quickly.

I've never had a slide before and I guess this one is hydraulic based. It also has leveling jacks that work fine and are extended.

Can anyone help me diagnose this problem?

Old 10-05-2012, 05:59 PM   #4

If it is hydraulic, I would check the fluid level first. Make sure everything is retracted/closed before you check. If low, you can use Dexron III or equivalent transmission fluid. HWH markets their own fluid which is the same thing without the red coloring.

If you're hearing the "whirring sound" it's probably the pump, the solenoids are generally silent except for slight "click" when power is applied. The HWH system has the pump, tank and solenoids all in one place.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:32 PM   #5

How to add fluid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martind4 View Post
If it is hydraulic, I would check the fluid level first. Make sure everything is retracted/closed before you check. If low, you can use Dexron III or equivalent transmission fluid. HWH markets their own fluid which is the same thing without the red coloring.

If you're hearing the "whirring sound" it's probably the pump, the solenoids are generally silent except for slight "click" when power is applied. The HWH system has the pump, tank and solenoids all in one place.
Thank You MartinD4.

I am 100% totally "green" here. This is my first RV with a slide out. I do believe the fluid is low. Can someone help me locate the place where I add the fluid. If it helps, I have jacks and a slide using the hydraulic system.

Thanks!!
Old 10-06-2012, 02:28 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
The HWH pump and reservoir can be located almost anywhere but you can find it by following one of the leveling jack hoses to its location. Having the pump run and the slide out not move for a brief moment is not uncommon but once motion is started the full range should be met. You should put your coach information in a signature which can be done in your profile. This way everyone can see what year, make and model we can help you with. I when to your profile and saw the 1995 you still had listed. Sorry.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:09 AM   #7

I think the easiest way to find the reservoir is to have someone run the system on the inside, while you walk around the outside and listen for the pump (whirring sound). It should be readily accessible and easy to find, usually in a compartment.

Like I said before, make sure the jacks are up and the slides in before you check the fluid level. On top of the reservoir is a round cap about 2" in diameter. When you twist it off, it has a little dipstick to show the fluid level. Don't overfill. Use a small funnel and fill to the proper level, checking frequently.

Once you have the proper fluid level established and exercise the system, crawl underneath and check for obvious leaks, the "old" fluid had to go somewhere.

Be careful about running the system too long at one time, the solenoids can overheat and the pump motor requires a lot of energy. It's a lot like a starter motor for the engine, not designed to run continuously or for very long at a time.

When extending the slides, make sure you operate the pump until the slide is all the way out then hold the switch for an additional 2 seconds (just count one, two). Same thing when retracting. Do not reverse direction in the middle of a cycle, better to run it all the way out or in, wait a few seconds and then operate.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:09 AM   #8

Problem Solved!

I got the slide out to work!

I crawled under the RV yesterday and found the hydraulic fluid reservoir. The dip stick was bone dry. I added 1/2 a quart, still dry. Another 1/2 and still dry. After almost two quarts the level finally registered on the dipstick. It took a full two quarts to finally get to the minimum level. At that point I was out of fluid.

I pushed the extend button and the slide out fully extended!

While I was under the RV I also found the leak. There is a series of solenoids attached along some sort of bar. The last solenoid on the bar - the one furthest from the pump and closest to the front of the RV- has a small rectangular box just under the solenoid. The leak is either coming from the solenoid, that little rectangular box or the hydraulic line where it connects to the solenoid.

This is way above my clearance level so I will be taking it to an expert. The leak is VERY slow - just a few drops in a day - but obviously a problem.

THANKS for everyone's help. Once the slide out was extended, my wife was finally happy with our purchase.

Tags
slide