Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2015, 10:31 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Slide problems need help

Our new to us 2007 KZ Jag was bought this June from Florida RV. So we thought we got a nice travel travel. This little 25 footer was just the right size. Has a wooden table and chairs. One slide. Looks nice. So then we buy it with cash and bring it home in a rain storm. After the rain we plug it in.
Day one: the couch is looking all stained. The back of Trailer seems to be delaminating. Wasn't like that when we bought it a few hours ago. Okay so I am old and my memory is not what it should be thought maybe I missed that for some reason. Spent the day Cleaning and making it smell nice.
Day two:Buy a power jack. Have it put on. Fill the LP so we can check the hot water tank and furnace.
Now it is Day three. Refrigerate still isn't getting cold. Called dealer. Oh yeah they say they Don't stand behind any of their used trailer sales. Great so we replace it with new refrigerator at our cost. New refrigerator works great. The air has been on and working great. Water and water heater work.
Day four: Thought we would put on vent hoods so we can leave them open when the airs not on. Fan vent in bathrooms does work. Oh yeah what can happen next. Got it purchased and an arranged for repairman to come and install.
Day five: Okay think we are done. Bought a tv. Ops need something. To hang it on the wall.. Done, okay crank up antenna, you got it it doesn't crank. Get new parts for the crank, spring missing. Okay. Low and behold it won't turn. Hubby checks on roof. Someone caulk the turning part tight. Fixed.
Day six: Repairmen came and sealed roof add drip spout that we ordered. Installed new bathroom vent fan and both roof vent hood.
So as of today. We haven't had it out camping yet and it's almost Thanksgiving. Weather here got colder. Florida is not cold enough to to use antifreeze but it gets cold enough that we thought we would drain the pipes.
Yesterday: Trailer smells musty, oh crap the slide out has leaked while closed up..The couch is soaked. So the slide out only leaks when it is closed and we can't seem to find out where or way.
Here is our delemia do we at this point time try and just fix it or could we just remove the slide out and close up hole in the trailer. If we total remove it how would we close up the hole.
So our cash reserve to do work on this trailer is depleted. And ideas on how to fix this lemon.
sniggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2015, 11:00 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
WOW! It's sounds like you have been taken to the cleaners, BIG TIME!

You might want to check with the Attorney General's office in your state to see if they have a "lemon law" that would help you!

So sorry for your misfortune!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 11:03 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
WOW! It's sounds like you have been taken to the cleaners, BIG TIME!

You might want to check with the Attorney General's office in your state to see if they have a "lemon law" that would help you! You might also insist on talking with the owner of the dealership for better results. You can nicely tell him that if he does not help with your problems that you will bad-mouth his dealership everywhere you can!

So sorry for your misfortune!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 11:09 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
You have fixed a lot. You sound handy. All slide outs will leak eventually. Maybe call the manufacturer of the trailer and see if they have ideas.
It sounds like you have a good mobile repairman if you need him. Get the slide out fixed and start enjoying the trailer. I think you need the fun part!
The dealer needs to be reported to the Florida Dept of Consumers.
You can file a complaint on line.
Old 11-26-2015, 09:44 PM   #5

I'm no expert but it sounds as though the slide is not sealing properly against the gasket. Did you use the lock mechanisms on each side? I noticed mine pulls in tighter against the seal when I engage them.
Old 11-26-2015, 10:07 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Lemon Laws only cover new rigs and almost never for a towable. Even with a MH they usually only cover the chassis and then only for safety related items. A few states do cover the house too, but only for motorized RV's.
Some people think there is a 3 day rescission period on vehicles. There isn't, unless you signed the contract at your home like a door to door salesman or some real estate transactions are also covered.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 10:10 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by krivanj View Post
The dealer needs to be reported to the Florida Dept of Consumers.
You can file a complaint on line.
Why? The OP entered into a sales contract and I'm betting it included a statement that the RV was purchased "as is". So, if the RV broke in half as you left the lot, you own both halves!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 02:51 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Run View Post
I'm no expert but it sounds as though the slide is not sealing properly against the gasket. Did you use the lock mechanisms on each side? I noticed mine pulls in tighter against the seal when I engage them.
Thanks for the info.
We have only one lock mechanism and don't have directions where to place it nothing in paper work. The dealer told us we didn't need to use it. Like I said we just found out the other day that it leaks when closed. And it is been stored in a lot for the last few months. Seems like the whole slide out is ruined now with mold. Not sure what we can do at this point. We have looked into getting a second locking bar but if the side out is filled with mold. Not sure how that will help. We never had to use a locking bar on any unit we owned in the past that had a slide so we never thought anything of it when the dealer said we didn't need to use it. I guess those units had better slide outs

Hopefully someone has some suggestions on what else we can do to salvage the whole trailer.. Is totally removing the slide out and closing in the side of the KZ jag trailers an option. Then replace the J couch. Cause that is full of mold also.
sniggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 07:21 PM   #9

If you removed the slide the outside wall should fill the hole in the wall.It could be installed and sealed tight.
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 07:31 AM   #10

I suppose if the slide is totally destroyed you could fill that wall hole without too much problem. Find the steel framework at the top and bottom (probably need to remove the gasket to do this) and attach the appropriate vertical upright "studs". Sheath the outside with your choice of material, insulate the inside and finish wall. May want to take this opportunity to add outlets etc. If the back wall is delaminated as you first mentioned, I would take a look for another place that the water might also be entering.

Tags
need help, problems, slide