Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2014, 03:48 PM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Slide Topper Awning Support

I got this idea from a fellow camper while in Maggie Valley, NC back in October. I was having trouble with water puddling on top of my slide toppers and I think this will solve the problem!

I don't use these if I'm only staying for a day or so, only for extended stays.

This is the view disassembled. I used 3/4" PVC pipe and fittings from Lowes. They have two grades. I used the 480 PSI pipe so it would be stronger. I put 1/2" EMT electrical conduit inside the long pieces so they would not sag in the middle. You can see it sticking out the ends of the PVC.

This is a better view of the end assemblies. One of the legs is longer than the other to provide for the slope of the awning. This is the tricky part. The dimensions of the end supports will depend on your slide. You just have to get up there and take some measurements before starting. Turn the roller tube to tighten the awning to maximum, then measure the height from the top of the slide to the awning at the two points where you want the lateral support tubes to be. Then you will need to measure the width across the top of the slide to determine the finished length of the end supports. Then measure the length of the slide (not the awning) to determine the desired overall length of the support when it is assembled. This is where the fun begins. You just start cutting a fitting until you get it right! It's a little time consuming but well worth the trouble. DON'T GLUE ANYTHING until you get all the pieces cut so it's the way you want it! When you get it exactly like you want it, disassemble it one piece at a time and glue that joint before going to the next one. Obviously, you DO NOT GLUE the lateral supports into the end supports to make it easy to store!

This is the finished product after assembly and ready to slide under the slide topper awning!

This is the view in place and ready to do it's thing!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2014, 04:59 PM   #2

Evergreen Owners Club
Seems like a good idea!! I would have to put it on my packing up check list so I remembered to take them down before retracting the slides

mo5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:59 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MO5ER View Post
Seems like a good idea!! I would have to put it on my packing up check list so I remembered to take them down before retracting the slides
Yep, I added that to my arrival AND departure checklists!

Old 01-13-2014, 11:22 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
One thing I forgot to mention. For a longer slide you will need to make two separate supports and insert one from each end of the slide. One support would bow too much in the middle, even with the 1/2" EMT. Also, anything over 7 1/2' long would be difficult to store!

Old 08-05-2017, 12:20 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
You folks really come up with ingenious ways to solve problems. But is it really worth
The time and trouble? What,s the harm if it
Pools some water? Wouldn't the fix be to simply to tighten the awning spring? However, your device is simple and very clever!
Stan&Jacquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 12:56 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
I think this is a super idea for when you stay an extended period. We spend the winter in the RGV, I think in addition to helping with the rain, they might help when the strong winds are making them flap.
Old 08-05-2017, 07:32 AM   #7

If you made the laterals half or maybe even one third the length and used a T fitting to make vertical legs at the midpoint you wouldn't need any EMT conduit at all and it would be a lot lighter and more compact.

It doesn't have to carry any weight other than just a bit of awning fabric since water will run off, not collect.
Old 08-05-2017, 10:31 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
If you made the laterals half or maybe even one third the length and used a T fitting to make vertical legs at the midpoint you wouldn't need any EMT conduit at all and it would be a lot lighter and more compact.

It doesn't have to carry any weight other than just a bit of awning fabric since water will run off, not collect.

Thanks for the tip Ted!

Old 08-05-2017, 10:37 AM   #9

Seems like a Great Idea, especially for snow. Thou...It may require additional support (as you mentioned for long slides) for additional weight of snow. It doesn't "move along" quite as easily as does water!
Old 08-05-2017, 11:03 AM   #10

Topper

WoW that is a lot of trouble to go through for one topper and what if you have
More than one slide.
I am gland I have I am guessing the older type topper and think it is called Omeg II or something but the topper covers the slide and than another part
Comes out acting as a awning and has straps pulling it taught down ward.
And wondering if you added strapping on each side to pull it tighter but maybe that is not good putting all that pressure on the topper and just a suggestion
to think about.
Or maybe when it is going to rain just raise the front of the RV not a whole bunch but just so the water will run down one side but if the topper is maybe baggy and not tight it needs more turns the loading the spring and just trying to help.
Nick
Old 08-05-2017, 11:07 AM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by seadaddler View Post
WoW that is a lot of trouble to go through for one topper and what if you have
More than one slide.
I am gland I have I am guessing the older type topper and think it is called Omeg II or something but the topper covers the slide and than another part
Comes out acting as a awning and has straps pulling it taught down ward.
And wondering if you added strapping on each side to pull it tighter but maybe that is not good putting all that pressure on the topper and just a suggestion
to think about.
Or maybe when it is going to rain just raise the front of the RV not a whole bunch but just so the water will run down one side but if the topper is maybe baggy and not tight it needs more turns the loading the spring and just trying to help.
Nick
Yup, it takes a few minutes to put the supports under the slideouts. I don't use them if we will only be staying a couple of days.

Our coach has the Omega II toppers on three slideouts.

Old 08-05-2017, 11:42 AM   #12

I personally, like the idea.........for long term stay....one can over tension the spring causing other problems such as putting the slide in a binding condition which the slide motor will say "no thanks"........and the material does stretch over time...
Old 08-07-2017, 09:58 AM   #13

Topper

A topper should be adjusted so that the topper is not too tight but adjusted just
the right amount of not to be baggy or allow water to collect.
I happen to replace my topper on my 99 MH and it like a canvas material and replace it with a better longer lasting material.
It did take time to adjust it just so it would roll up properly and remember mine
is a topper plus awning and needs to roll up and down the right tightness and never worry about collecting water.
Nick
Old 08-09-2017, 08:59 AM   #14

Topper

There is another disscusion some place on this forum regarding saggy toppers
Collecting water and flopping in windy conditions.
Nick

Tags
awning, slide