Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2014, 08:33 AM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Slide topper awnings

I need to replace the awning fabric on my slide toppers. I am looking at the Tough Top 18 oz. coated vinyl fabric. Do you consider this to be as good as anything out there? Thanks!

The Finest RV Slide Topper Replacement Fabric You Can Buy!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2014, 08:48 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Joe, I think I recall Richard -Dr4Film post about a company in Florida that he highly recommended for replacement fabric. You my want to PM him and see.

Happy trails,
Glenn
Old 09-04-2014, 08:50 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandG-Fun View Post
Joe, I think I recall Richard -Dr4Film post about a company in Florida that he highly recommended for replacement fabric. You my want to PM him and see.

Happy trails,
Glenn
Thanks Glenn! If Richard don't pop in soon I'll PM him!
Old 09-04-2014, 11:27 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I have one of theirs. I wouldn't call it the finest by any means, but it seems a serviceable topper and at least equal to the stuff A&E used on theirs. My original Carefree SOK II had better fabric, though.

Service is good from Toughtops - you get what you paid for and get it promptly.

One minor thing is that Toughtops doesn't bind the edges of the fabric. A minor thing and the synthetic material isn't the sort of thing to unravel, but the edge has a slightly unfinished look compared to my SOK II toppers.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 11:35 AM   #5

Joe,

Keep us posted on this one please. I replaced an old slide out topper last fall with one from Carefree. The material rubbed the top of the slide and has a rip right in the middle, causing a leak into the MH. I have silicone on it now and have re-done the slide out seal but still need to replace the awning material. I sure would like something tougher than what Carefree sells. And in six months the Carefree material looks like it's ten years old. Collects and holds dirt and mold.

thanks
Larry
larry koenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 01:42 PM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Gary, are there any others out there that you would consider better quality?
Old 09-05-2014, 07:57 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I placed an order with Tyler at Tough Top Awnings yesterday for the two slide toppers. His price was WAY below other quotes I got! Also, he's a great guy to deal with!
Old 09-05-2014, 08:43 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
And in six months the Carefree material looks like it's ten years old. Collects and holds dirt and mold.
Interesting. My Carefree SOK II toppers are 10 years old and the only problem I've had is that the stitching in the seams rotted out. Except for the big one that bellies down and gets muddy where the water sits, the material looks as good as new. Maybe a different material than yours? Mine is a woven synthetic of some sort, very dense. I see that the generic replacement that Carefree sells is vinyl, bit that's not what came on my SOK II topper.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:44 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Sunpro offers two grades of slide topper material, but I don't have experience with either one. I would try the 18 oz grade if I ever need another.

Slide Out Covers / Awnings - Sunpro Mfg
Old 09-05-2014, 10:13 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Sunpro offers two grades of slide topper material, but I don't have experience with either one. I would try the 18 oz grade if I ever need another.

Slide Out Covers / Awnings - Sunpro Mfg

I was going to get the 18 oz material from Tough Tops but Tyler recommended the 15 oz material for the slide toppers. He said the 18 oz is better suited for the main awning.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:54 AM   #11

Gary, Yes mine came with a thin white vinyl material. I put it on in the Houston area in Texas last winter. So it was in a lot of humidity for three months. Then California for two months, pretty dry, then Alaska for the summer. We've had a dry summer, meaning it hasn't rained all the time but it is cool and somewhat humid all the time. I don't normally spend much time looking at the awning topper and was surprised when I got up there to repair it and it looks so old and dirty and moldy.

Gary, I sure had my heart set on the 18 oz material. The original topper had a thick canvas type material that lasted fourteen years. It was more like tent canvas but finally started to come apart. I'm quite interested it how it looks when you receive it and put it on. I'm waiting until we get back to California before I order anything. (cost of shipping you know)

Larry
larry koenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 05:21 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
We have 2 toppers that need to be replaced. I'm planning to order Sunbrella fabric & either make them myself or take them to a shoe or luggage repair shop to be stitched. We also bought some liquid seam cover & put that on all the seams to keep them from disintegrating from the sun.
karencollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 06:29 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Gary, I sure had my heart set on the 18 oz material. The original topper had a thick canvas type material that lasted fourteen years. It was more like tent canvas but finally started to come apart. I'm quite interested it how it looks when you receive it and put it on.
Not likely to be any time soon, Larry. We restitched the seams on the other two toppers and the material is wearing like iron.

I notice that Carefree dubs its replacement topper material as "universal", so it's perhaps not the excellent stuff they use on their SOK (Slide Out Kover) III product. Too bad.
Old 09-08-2014, 10:18 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I replaced mine with the Tough Top product. Great service and reasonable price. I was extremely satisfied. I had the carefree toppers before and their installation instructions scared me by their complexity. The Tough Top instructions by comparison are much clearer and very simple. Wife and I installed both in two hours. You need an 8 foot stepladder to do it safely and one person on the ground. A spray can of silicone lubricant will be your best friend to get the awning into the channel easily.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, slide