Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2014, 04:36 PM   #1

Slide Topper out of track in middle

I recently noticed that the center section of my carefree slide topper has come out of it's track on the motorhome. I'm thinking that perhaps I can take a dull putty knife and starting from one side start tucking the material back into the track. I'm not sure why it came out of the track but if I can get it back in I thought I would take a small block of wood and hammer on the track a little to re-pinch it. Curious if anyone has seen this problem before and what they think of my idea to fix it? Appreciate any and all help I can get...
Super14j is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2014, 06:05 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Possibly pulled out in a wind gust. My suggestion would be to pin the roller and remove it from the slide and flip it up on the roof. Next remove the screw from each end of the track and slide the topper back and then carefully bend the track down where it had pulled out. Then assemble in reverse order. This may be more work but it eliminates the possibility of punching a hole in the topper trying to force it back into the track. I removed all four of my toppers last spring and had them re-sewn. It really was not that hard.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 06:27 PM   #3
KIX

There is a "pocket" sewn into the edge of the topper and a poly cord is inserted into the pocket to retain the topper in the track. The poly cord where your topper has come out of the track may be broken.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 07:02 PM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Or........ the stitching may have let go in that spot.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:23 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
As stated, your slide topper has a pocket sewn into the end and then a piece fo polycord is slid into the pocket. The combination of the pocket and the cord is what keeps the slide topper locked into your rain gutter. If it has pulled out as you say, the pocket stitching has come loose.

Your choices.....if it's a cloth material, you can remove it, cut off six inches and have a new pocket sewn in and get another couple of years. The other choice is to replace the topper material. There are several places that sell the material online if you are a DIY person.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:31 PM   #6

I had the same problem. BUT here is what I found out. The topper was sewed with cotton thread and the cotton rotten and came un sewed. It also ends up funneling the water right into the slide gasket and over coming the seal. JOY!
GregOk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:32 PM   #7

Replace side toppers!
GregOk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:56 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Almost for sure the threads have rotted and allowed the material to pull out form around the polycord in the track. It has to be removed, re-sewn, and re-inserterd in the track. Not a real big deal if you are fairly handy and have a sewing machine. Or remove it and take it to a canvas or upholstery shop.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 04:24 PM   #9

A big Thank You to all of you who replied. Today I got my step ladder out and climbed up for a closer look at what had happened to my topper and sure enough the thread has let loose and my topper has to be removed and be sewn again. I'm sure if I look hard enough I'll be able to find the info I need to take it off and not screw things up. Thanks again for the help....
Old 05-11-2014, 04:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super14j View Post
A big Thank You to all of you who replied. Today I got my step ladder out and climbed up for a closer look at what had happened to my topper and sure enough the thread has let loose and my topper has to be removed and be sewn again. I'm sure if I look hard enough I'll be able to find the info I need to take it off and not screw things up. Thanks again for the help....
I had the same problem. The slide awning material was fine but the thread deteriorated. I restitched mine with our older household sewing machine and used Outdoor Furniture Thread (available at some fabric stores). That was 18 months ago and it's still fine.

Coats Outdoor 200Yd White at Joann.com
Old 05-11-2014, 05:07 PM   #11

Here is a youtube video that may help. Its for an A&E awning but the principals are about the same.

Also here is another thread http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/slid...al-170566.html with good discussion pictures and videos. Good luck.
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 06:25 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
I notice you have a 2003 coach. If the toppers have never been replaced, you're long over due. Personally I would bite the bullet and install new ones as your problem will only continue.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 05:53 AM   #13

Thanks for the link to the video "replacing a slide topper" Don. I'm sure it will help... I'm not sure of the age of the topper as I just picked this motorhome home up a couple of weeks ago and don't know it's history to well. I should have noticed the topper being screwed up but I didn't.. Doesn't sound like a huge project so I should be OK. Thanks again...
Old 05-12-2014, 06:12 AM   #14

Quote:
Thanks for the link to the video "replacing a slide topper" Don. I'm sure it will help... I'm not sure of the age of the topper as I just picked this motorhome home up a couple of weeks ago and don't know it's history to well. I should have noticed the topper being screwed up but I didn't.. Doesn't sound like a huge project so I should be OK. Thanks again...
It's not a huge job but does require 2 people and probably 2 ladders. I took my whole assembly off, took it home, unrolled it manually (with the pins in place on roller/spring), and sewed the top and sides. I put the unrolled assembly on 2 workhorses and did the stitching with the sewing machine on a portable work bench. I stitched about 2 feet and then moved the work bench/sewing machine without lifting the needle ... repeated and worked my way across the topper. Did the whole topper in a day including removal/reinstall/sewing/travel.

You will probably need new polycord .... I used similar size vinyl tubing from Home Depot.

Tags
slide