Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2019, 01:51 PM   #15
IC2

Well, like I said, another 88 bucks (with shipping 102) and am waiting delivery for that Dometic cradle. From what I could find on the 'net as well as here, any topper over 10 feet really needs that cradle and since that sagger on our 5er is 13 feet, gonna be a requirement. With that said, I'll probably need to (carefully) retension and add maybe a beach ball or two anyhow. The 5er is at its summer home now but I did pull that slide in since the CG was predicted to and got just under an inch of rain yesterday after we left
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2019, 04:22 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
Well, like I said, another 88 bucks (with shipping 102) and am waiting delivery for that Dometic cradle. From what I could find on the 'net as well as here, any topper over 10 feet really needs that cradle and since that sagger on our 5er is 13 feet, gonna be a requirement. With that said, I'll probably need to (carefully) retension and add maybe a beach ball or two anyhow. The 5er is at its summer home now but I did pull that slide in since the CG was predicted to and got just under an inch of rain yesterday after we left
I have a 13' topper and have no snag. I will skip the cradle after reading about it. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/slide...yl-122484.html
Old 05-20-2019, 04:41 PM   #17
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
I have a 13' topper and have no snag. I will skip the cradle after reading about it. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/slide...yl-122484.html
Guess I'll need to look at the cradle when it arrives. As far as sag, I'm really more concerned with the topper bouncing
Old 05-24-2019, 10:18 AM   #18
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
That link shows that there was something catching the fabric and it may be the bolt head as suggested. But, with that said, the bolt heads are pretty well protected by the bracket frame. Just because I can, I'll be using round head SS hex key type bolts. Additionally, the bolt has too much thread showing as assembled. The new bolts will be shorter, even if they need to be hacksawn to length that way

The roller lengths - two are shorter then the third just by the design, The shorter two are between 1/4" thick brackets wile the 3rd is between 1/16" brackets.

The attaching screws are longer then I'm comfortable with so they too will be replaced by some shorter ones but same self tapping thread
Old 05-24-2019, 11:08 AM   #19

I don't generally worry about a little water accumulating on the slide topper. It will dump out if it gets enough on it and it will dump when I bring the slide in. I don't normally sit in one place long enough for it to be a problem. The slide is in and out on a pretty regular basis. Even when we sit for several weeks in FL over the winter I just run the slide in and out after a good rain and allow it to drain.
Old 05-24-2019, 11:15 AM   #20
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
I don't generally worry about a little water accumulating on the slide topper. It will dump out if it gets enough on it and it will dump when I bring the slide in. I don't normally sit in one place long enough for it to be a problem. The slide is in and out on a pretty regular basis. Even when we sit for several weeks in FL over the winter I just run the slide in and out after a good rain and allow it to drain.
I would agree with you 100% - except our 5er sits motionless from ~15 May until ~15 August when we leave our summer site to do an extended 5-7 week trip. We also are not there 3-4 days a week and this year - rain every couple days so I can't monitor water and sag. A couple 8" balls will be shoved under there too
Old 10-27-2019, 06:08 AM   #21
IC2

Resurrecting this oldie

We finished the season with the slide toppers and are completely satisfied with 3 of the 4. The 4th one was the one mentioned way back in the OP.It flaped in the breeze and collects a couple gallons of rain water. I ended up tying a rope around it the last weekend we used the 5er this fall to shut it up.

I purchased the cradle and it sits currently on my desk unused and may never be installed. If anyone is contemplating buying one, send me a PM.

Yesterday I decided it was time to reset the tension as I believe that when we installed it, i ended up unrolling two turns from the roller instead of one the directions call for. It's really a pretty easy job but you do need to use care and lock the roller with some sort of pin - I just used a bent 4" piece of coat hanger. You do need to remove the bracket from the slide then the centering rod from the roller end bracket. If it has an anti sail device, that too needs to come off too. Two turns and it now appears to be noce and tight - since it's raining now, I'll check tomorrow if it holds water. A little is OK, still a lot - is not

The first end took an hour trying to get the right tools, the othe, maybe a half hour.
Old 10-29-2019, 06:06 PM   #22

again I would not buy or use a topper that tried to stop water. it should be to prevent leaves n branches. like a screen
Old 10-30-2019, 05:35 AM   #23
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
again I would not buy or use a topper that tried to stop water. it should be to prevent leaves n branches. like a screen
....and, again,your point is what????

Where did I imply that these toppers were to stop water. They were installed to keep debris (which includes water) and heat away from the slide roof. If they are long and installed too flat or too slack with insufficient spring tension. they will sag and hold water.
Old 10-30-2019, 04:36 PM   #24

no topper ive had since 1986 has been unlike a screen no reason to hold water. it may sag from age but never hold water.. its not an awning and if you bought one that was holding, well not a big loss just get one like every one else has proper fabric. toppers are not designed for tension like awnings are.. there springs are to just do there job. sorry if I hurt your feelings . it happens, jeff
Old 10-31-2019, 09:15 AM   #25
IC2

Quote:
sorry if I hurt your feelings . it happens, jeff

Nahh - you gotta do way better to hurt my feelings.

Additionally, you still have no idea what I was saying, so let's just leave it at that.

My sole purpose for this thread was ellicit information then to present a possible solution or at least an attempt for some aid for those of us that have a topper that collect's rain water and/or flaps in the wind.
Old 10-31-2019, 09:22 AM   #26

Forest River Owners Club
IC2: Thanks for posting,
Old 11-01-2019, 05:23 PM   #27

whats not to understand. you bought complete set of toppers. installed and they hold water ,,,not?? wrong fabric. , jeeze what if it froze ,or cant you even go someplace it might?? I understand full well. toppers arnt to protect from water
Old 11-01-2019, 06:31 PM   #28
IC2

Quote:
whats not to understand. you bought complete set of toppers. installed and they hold water ,,,not?? wrong fabric. , jeeze what if it froze ,or cant you even go someplace it might?? I understand full well. toppers arnt to protect from water
I spelled it out in pretty black letters with a nice white background from my OP so it would be easy to understand and you STILL have nary clue as to what I've said. Sad!

I will NOT repeat what and why again

Tags
slide